Activating the Invite plugin get the error below

The Invite plugin is only compatible with WordPress Multisite.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

As we haven't heard back from you we're going to assume the problem was sorted out and mark this ticket as resolved.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread please feel free to post them below and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and for being a member of WPMU DEV, it's a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of assistance in the future.

Thanks

• freelancelance
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Why do you allow the plugin to be activated on non-MU sites, only to then shut the entire site and dashboard down with that error message? Is there seriously no more-elegant way to handle that?

I realize now that it's marked in the Compatibility section on the plugin page, but frankly, I didn't bother looking there because there was nothing about the plugin that sounded at all like it would be just for multi-site. (Nor would I assume that you would build a site crash into it for non-MU people.)

For my eagerness, I was penalized by having the entire site and dashboard made unavailable to anyone, and forced to go in via FTP to delete the plugin and get the site back.

What's worse, I assumed when I saw that error message that it was just showing to me, after activating the plugin--because it would be INSANE if it shut down the entire site and dashboard and just showed everybody that error message on an otherwise blank page. But insanity notwithstanding, that is in fact what happened. So the world was seeing that error message for over an hour before I tried to refresh a page on my site and became aware of your plugin's ridiculously aggressive error message.

So, two questions:

--why isn't this available for regular WP/Buddypress installations anyway? Follow-up: please make this available for non-MU WP installations. (As though that needs to be said.)

--if you are going to keep it out of reach of non-MU users, and are going to downplay that fact in the plugin's description (or even if you clarify the text), can't you make it so that trying to install it doesn't take down the entire site with that error message? How about not allowing it to install in the first place? How about just putting an error message in that spot on the plugins page where a "failure to activate" message would normally go? Or putting a message in the Dashboard saying that an MU-only plugin has been activated, and can't be used, so it should be deactivated and deleted? There are just three of many possible ways to prevent the critical site failure that you currently have built into your plugin.

Thanks for your help. And sorry for the agitated tone, but your plugin took down my site. Not cool.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya @freelancelance,

Thanks for your feedback here. Our site started by focusing on multisite plugins. While most plugins have been updated to work with any WordPress install, there are a couple that we are still updating a couple.

I've alerted the developer to this and he's going to be updating it accordingly. We'll see if we can increase the capabilities of it or at least provide for an error message when an attempt to activate it on a non multisite.

• Mark de Scande
    • Syntax Hero

I have just tested this

Ok i dont see the point

1) sent invite from bloglines.co.za email below
    Dear mark@bloglines.co.za,

admin@bloglines.co.za has sent you an invite to sign up at - http://bloglines.co.za.

2) Logged in to a customers site with here user name

zelda@shutterbugzz.co.za has sent you an invite to sign up at - http://bloglines.co.za.

So what was the point as the customer is not getting traffic back to here site

3) Logged in to a blog

zelda@shutterbugzz.co.za has sent you an invite to sign up at BlogLines - http://bloglines.co.za.

SO am i just silly to think this plug should have sent a invite to go have a look at the customers blog and not just bloglines.co.za

I just think it is a cool plug but if the user send a 100 emails to get a blog cool for me bloglines.co.za but not cool for the user as he is not getting any invites for his blog

Thx
    Late night Mark

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.