Activation Emails Flagged as Spam

How do you change the network activation email settings, we're getting flaged as spam and need to change how those emails are being served to our smtp.

How do I do this?

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

While looking for some advice on this I found that there are countless reasons why your email shows as spam (usually related either to the type of email server and client, spam filtering engine in use by the received upto and including historical activity by your domain/server).

You might have better results in using an authenticated SMTP or IMAP server with a reliable provider rather than an anonymous local SMTP server (since it's presumably unknown or considered insecure to most of the large webmail providers).

The only reliable way to (almost) never be flagged as spam is ask the user to add you to their whitelist.

What are you using to send your emails? Are you using a Plugin like this one?
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-mail-smtp/

or the default mailer?

Best,

Kimberly

• ehoanshelt
    • Flash Drive

To add to Kimberly's comment, your content is a big thing when it comes to being spammed.

How many links does your email hold?
    Are you starting your email with "Dear user"?
    How many images does your email have?

These plus a million more content related issues can cause spam filters to push you to there dreaded spam folder.

• kyleb
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

The email that is getting flagged is the activation email sent when someone signs up to join the network. Its sent however a defaut wordpress email is sent, that is my question, how do I get wordpress to send the network activation email from another smtp server? We have a great authenticated one but I dont know how to change the smtp settings.

thanks!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings kyleb,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.