Active Members cannot see protected content

As system admin, when I use the "Test Membership" function that is part of Membership Pro 2, the Menus and Pages are protected properly.

However, when I login as an active member (only have 1 membership level), the system treats them as a visitor. They cannot see any protected content. I have tried it on a few users and it acts the same way. I have turned off all caching as well as restarted the browsers (Safari and Firefox) with the same results.

Also, I have the message below repeated 20 times before I can view any detail in "Setup Protection Rules". Did not see that before and maybe it can point you in the right direction.

"Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home2/lavawine/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/app/helper/listtable/class-ms-helper-listtable-rule.php on line 397"

Any suggestions on how to resolve this? I will setup support access so you should be able to test.

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @greghelland,

Sorry to hear of the problem you are having.

I logged in to your site using support staff access and confirmed the warning messages are displaying on your memberships page for normal user but not for admin user.

I tested it on my test site using latest version of Membership 2 Pro plugin but couldn't reproduce this issue. The warning messages are not displaying for me on memberships page as normal user or admin user even setting wp debug to true.

Would you mind if I access your site and did some testing? This might help get to the bottom of this faster. If this is ok, just send log in info through our secured contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/
    - Choose "I have a different question"
    - Include my name in the subject "Vinod Dalvi"
    - Include the URL of this post in your message so that I may track this issue better
    - Include login information (Wordpress admin info username + password )
    - Include FTP Details

Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• greghelland

Dear Vinod,
    No, it is still not working at all. The error messages are not the problem. The problem still remains that protected content is not being seen by a member. They see exactly the same restricted content at a visitor. The only person that can see protected content is the admin account. LAVA Member is not allowing access. This has been going on since we went to Membership Pro 2. Prior to that everything was fine. I have extremely irritated users who are starting to bail so we need this fixed ASAP.

Please advise.
    Thanks,
    Greg

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Greg,

I have tested this issue on my test site and also on your site and found the functionality is working fine providing non admin members access to protected content.

I just created a test user testasd on your site and added him lava membership then he can access the protected content page "Classifieds Checkout" without any issue as shown in the attached screenshots.

Could you please test it by assigning new password to the test user testasd and using it and let me know how it works for you?

If this is the issue with specific members then could you please send me the member login details the same as described previously so that i can troubleshoot it?

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• greghelland

Vinod,
    Tried to change the membership on a member and got this error. Won't save details from the Membership Details page. Some other things might be wrong with the Membership Pro 2 plugin. All name, email, etc. is in the record and verified so don't understand this message. Please advise.

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Exception' with message 'Please ensure that the <span class="ms-bold">Username</span> information is completed.
    Please ensure that the <span class="ms-bold">Email address</span> information is completed.
    Please ensure that the <span class="ms-bold">Password</span> information is completed.
    Please ensure that the <span class="ms-bold">Password confirmation</span> information is completed.
    The email address is not valid, sorry.' in /home2/lavawine/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/app/model/class-ms-model-member.php:1082 Stack trace: #0 /home2/lavawine/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/app/model/class-ms-model-member.php(901): MS_Model_Member->create_new_user() #1 /home2/lavawine/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/app/controller/class-ms-controller-member.php(368): MS_Model_Member->save() #2 [internal function]: MS_Controller_Member->members_admin_page_process_editor('') #3 /home2/lavawine/public_html/wp-includes/plugin.php(496): call_user_func_array(Ar in /home2/lavawine/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/app/model/class-ms-model-member.php on line 1082

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Greg,

I have just tested on your site by changing the memberships for the users testasd and peghelland as shown in the attached screenshot but didn't get any error.

Is this error occurring for you for all members or for any specific member?

Are you changing the membership on a member the same way as shown in the attached screenshot?

Please share the screenshot of the screen where you are getting this error message.

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• greghelland

Vinod,
    In the last message, I was trying to indicate that I was in the "Subscription Details" window and changing something in there. If you hover over the Username in the screenshot above, you will see a link for Subscription Details. Click that and it will get to "Edit Members" See attached image. When you click "Save Changes" within the Edit Member screen, this error comes up every time. I am trying to show you another error in the Membership Pro 2 system.

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Exception' with message 'Please ensure that the <span class="ms-bold">Username</span> information is completed.Please ensure that the <span class="ms-bold">Email address</span> information is completed.Please ensure that the <span class="ms-bold">Password</span> information is completed.Please ensure that the <span class="ms-bold">Password confirmation</span> information is completed.The email address is not valid, sorry.' in /home2/lavawine/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/app/model/class-ms-model-member.php:1082 Stack trace: #0 /home2/lavawine/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/app/model/class-ms-model-member.php(901): MS_Model_Member->create_new_user() #1 /home2/lavawine/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/app/controller/class-ms-controller-member.php(368): MS_Model_Member->save() #2 [internal function]: MS_Controller_Member->members_admin_page_process_editor('':wink: #3 /home2/lavawine/public_html/wp-includes/plugin.php(503): call_user_func_array(Ar in /home2/lavawine/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/app/model/class-ms-model-member.php on line 1082

• greghelland

I disabled all plugins and I still get the same error.

The users signed up with Paypal Standard, recurring annual payment.

Because WPMU had me manually cancel every membership and re-add the membership, all of my users are thinking they have been cancelled and have created havoc. I had turned off ALL email notifications before canceling membership but it seems the plugin ignored that completely.

I need to user the screen above to now go into EACH user manually and change their expiration date back to 2015-12-31 and your plugin is blowing up on me for every user.

I have enabled WPMU support to have full access to the system.

Please advise ASAP.
    Thanks,
    Greg

• greghelland

Still having this problem and no solution yet. Annual membership renewals start in November so I need to get this fixed. It is a MAJOR bug in your plugin. Here is the exception error again.

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Exception' with message 'Please ensure that the <span class="ms-bold">Username</span> information is completed.
    Please ensure that the <span class="ms-bold">Email address</span> information is completed.
    Please ensure that the <span class="ms-bold">Password</span> information is completed.
    Please ensure that the <span class="ms-bold">Password confirmation</span> information is completed.
    The email address is not valid, sorry.' in /home2/lavawine/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/app/model/class-ms-model-member.php:1078 Stack trace: #0 /home2/lavawine/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/app/model/class-ms-model-member.php(897): MS_Model_Member->create_new_user() #1 /home2/lavawine/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/app/controller/class-ms-controller-member.php(368): MS_Model_Member->save() #2 [internal function]: MS_Controller_Member->members_admin_page_process_editor('') #3 /home2/lavawine/public_html/wp-includes/plugin.php(503): call_user_func_array(Ar in /home2/lavawine/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/app/model/class-ms-model-member.php on line 1078

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello greghelland,

I will check with developer what is going on with this bug status, but I noticed that on your site you have the 4.0.0.5 version of the Membership 2 Pro installed. This is not the latest Membership version. Proper version is 1.0.2.2.
    If you updated Membership updated Membership through the Dashboard -> Plugins screen then I ask you to replace this version with proper one https://premium.wpmudev.org/download/1377186399_membership2-1.0.22.zip through the FTP.
    Please install updates of our plugins only from WPMU DEV Dashboard.

Kind regards,
    Kasia

• greghelland

Just so you are aware, the WPMU dashboard does NOT indicate I have any updaes available to any of the WPMU plugins I use, which are quite a few. I looks to me like your development staff lowered the release number from 4. to 1. and thus the dashboard does not know there is an upgrade. This is another probem that should be fixed, either by changing the release number or changing how the dashboard knows of a newer release. I will install the new version and see if this resolves the issue and report back.
    Thanks,
    Greg

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello greghelland,

Just so you are aware, the WPMU dashboard does NOT indicate I have any updaes available to any of the WPMU plugins I use, which are quite a few.

It should show updates in the "Updates" page if they are available (please see the screen). On your second registered site you should see updates for few plugins.

I looks to me like your development staff lowered the release number from 4. to 1. and thus the dashboard does not know there is an upgrade. This is another probem that should be fixed, either by changing the release number or changing how the dashboard knows of a newer release.

This is indeed bug, and will be fixed with new update. This is related to the free version of the Membership in wordpress.org repository which has version 4.0.0.5 and WordPress updater treats this as new version of the Membership 2 Pro. We are aware that this makes confusion therefore it will fixed.

Kind regards,
    Kasia

• greghelland

I have been a paid member of WPMU for 3 or 4 years now. How did I get a "free" version of Membership 2? I installed it from the WPMU dashboard originally and it has caused me huge problems with my membership from day 1. If I download the zip file and install thru FTP, will this keep all of my settings and members? The move from Membership to Membership 2 caused me to have multiple problems and needed to reset up all membership levels and security. Will this be the case again?

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello greghelland,

I'm sorry that this happen to you.

How did I get a "free" version of Membership 2?

It was due to update from plugin list. Because of mixup with versions, WordPress shows free version as update to pro. That is why we advice to do updates only through the WPMU DEV dashboard - but developer is aware of this issue and he is working to prevent this situation in the future.

The move from Membership to Membership 2 caused me to have multiple problems and needed to reset up all membership levels and security. Will this be the case again?

No. All the data from new Membership 2 Pro is in the database, so you can do switch through the FTP.
    You can rename membership folder name in wp-content/plugins to membership-free, this will disable it, then upload unzipped Membership 2 Pro to wp-content/plugins and after that activate it on plugins list.
    I do advise making backup before doing any changes in WordPress. Just in case.

Kind regards,
    Kasia

• greghelland

Downloaded the paid membership 2 version 1.0.2.3 and still get the same error message when trying to change the expiry date of a member. Our memberships are annual and can be paid in advance of the new calendar year so I need to change when the membership expires to December 31 of the following year when the member pays in advance.

Once again, here is the error I get:

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Exception' with message 'You cannot register a new account, because you are already logged in.' in /home2/lavawine/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/app/model/class-ms-model-member.php:989 Stack trace: #0 /home2/lavawine/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/app/model/class-ms-model-member.php(939): MS_Model_Member->create_new_user() #1 /home2/lavawine/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/app/controller/class-ms-controller-member.php(368): MS_Model_Member->save() #2 [internal function]: MS_Controller_Member->members_admin_page_process_editor('') #3 /home2/lavawine/public_html/wp-includes/plugin.php(503): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #4 /home2/lavawine/public_html/wp-admin/admin.php(226): do_action('load-membership...') #5 {main} thrown in /home2/lavawine/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/app/model/class-ms-model-member.php on line 989

Seems as though the plugin is capturing an error for a new member when this is an existing member. Logic error.

PLEASE fix this as I need to expire all of the 2015 memberships so that I can have them renew in the new year.

• Rupok

Hi greghelland

I hope you are having a wonderful day.

Some other users have also reported about this exact same fatal error and it has got our attention. The developer is concerned about this and I hope very soon we will get an update. As our developers has to deal to lots of critical bugs and issues, I can't give you any ETA but we take issues seriously and I believe you won't have to wait for too long.

Please stay with us and you will get an update as soon as our developer is done with fixing it.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• greghelland

OK, got the update and this has allowed me to save a date in the membership DETAILS screen. HOWEVER, you programming is not allowing me to pick that date I want. You put up a message that indicates that my date may change based upon validation. As I have said before, our memberships run on a calendar year and anyone signing up after October 1 get the rest of the current year and all of next year included. So, by enforcing ARBITRARY rules of 1 year, you are circumventing what the administrator of the system wants to do. I am logged in as the administrator and if I want to give 1 year or 12 years of membership, your programming should not override my manual entry. PLEASE take off the enforcement of your rules and let me make the decision. Or, at least add a setting that allows the administrator to override the 1 year membership. Why have a manual entry screen if you are going to override my data entry. If I wanted it to be 1 year from data entry I would have used the batch update.

PLEASE fix this as your programming is too intrusive.

Thanks,
    Greg

• greghelland

Hi Kasia,
    You cannot change expiration dates for individual members. That is the point of my post. When going into Subscription Details for an individual member, if you try to change the expiration date for longer than 1 year, the system recalculates it to be only one year, no more, no less.

Also, I tried changing a members start date to December 7, 2015 and an end date of December 31, 2016. When I clicked on the update user button, the plugin reset the dates to the original dates.

My point is that there is no reason for a manual entry mode if the plugin does not allow the administrator to change the dates to whatever date they want. Do you understand the problem here?

Thanks,
    Greg

• greghelland

Here is more information for you. I entered a payment made with cash against an existing invoice. I did that today. The membership is set to allow for payment made from 1 Oct 2015 and membership ending on 31 Dec 2016. You can see that the plugin made the expiration date one year from today or 06 Dec 2016 instead of 31 Dec 2016.

Again, tried to change it in the Subscription Details screen and noticed that the payment did not even update the subscription details.

Please advise.

Greg

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Greg,

Do you understand the problem here?

Yes - sorry for all my questions, but I was testing this on my site and I was able to change dates manually and they didn't recalculate (or not even an warning showed when I've changed dates).
    So I feel I could be missing something - can you grant support access so I could check settings and troubleshoot this issue?

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Rupok

Hi greghelland

I hope you had a wonderful day.

I just logged in with Support Access and I'm confirming the issue is there. I can't manually change the "Expire Date" from Edit Member page. Moreover, I'd like to add that, I could not manually change the "Start Date" and "Status".

However, I just tried to regenerate the issue in my own test environment but could not regenerate. I could successfully change both dates and status on my test site. So it's definitely not a bug of this plugin, rather something at your server/site is causing this issue.

So on the first step, can you please make a plugin conflict test? It will help us to understand if any other plugin configuration is causing this or not. You can get more ideas about plugin conflict test from here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

Please let us know your result. I'm looking forward to hear the answer from and you solve this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• greghelland

Hi Rupak,
    I went thru each plugin, one by one, deactivating every single one until the only plugin that was active was the Membership Pro plugin. Still not able to change the expiration date. The plugin always resets to the same date range.

What can you do next to help me get this done. December 31 is when we have to renew everyone. I have been working on this issue since the beginning of August.

I have deactivated your support access.

Thanks,
    Greg

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Greg,

I'm sorry for delayed response today - and thank you for excluding plugin conflict. I brought developer attention to issue on your site - it looks like we have another case of it, but we were able to replicate it on only one other environment and this makes difficult to find fix. Developer is working on this issue now and will update me about the progress. There is possibility that we will use again FTP credentials to your site, so please don't change them.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• greghelland

Hi Kasia,
    This is still not working and members are trying to renew and having massive problems. When is someone going to get this fixed? Anything I need to do?? Still seems to be a plugin problem and not a conflict with other plugins.

I really can't wait much longer. The support on this has been very unacceptable. I have extended your access to the admin thru WPMU support. Please advise ASAP.

Thanks,
    Greg

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.