Actors or team members plugins suggestions

I am building a site in WP to mimic a site of a new client that had their site built using Muse. It has a lot of issues with performance and such, but they wanted to move to WP prior to doing a rewrite...

Here is the page in question on the site which I am mimicking...not the WP site (check the link in the ticket details)

Thanks

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Clay Hess,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I tried to find a "ready&easy to use" solution that could be easy to implement and relatively straightforward to use for your Client but I must say I didn't find anything. I might have missed something as there are tons of plugins (both free and commercial) around but in my opinion most of them have their "quirks".

The best results you would probably achieve with some slider plugin such as Master Slider or Slider Revolution but while they would let you achieve such setup, they also seem to be a bit too complex for such task and certainly wouldn't be easy if it comes to adding new presenters.

If I was about to do this, I'd rather go for a custom coding. You mentioned that you could code that in JS and I think it's the best way as it would be quite easy then to make it also really easy to add new people directly from WordPress.

Assuming that you can create a code that mimics that feature that you want to achieve, the way you'd want to expand it would be that:

1. create a custom post type in WordPress, for example "Presenters"; it would suffice if the post type supported only a title (that'd be your presenters name and age line, e.g. "John, 12 years old"), editor (that'd be the content - the description of the presenter) and a thumbnail (that'd be set as featured image when adding the post and would be the photo of a presenter).

This way your Client could easily edit/add presenters.

2. Then, in your code where you put a markup for images and for descriptions, use data from posts fetched from custom posts. An example code to fetch the data:

$presenters = array();

# set query arguments
    $args = array(
            'post_type' => 'presenters',
            'post_status' => 'publish',
    		'posts_per_page' => -1;
        );

#now query for custom posts
    $query = new WP_Query( $args );
    if( $query->have_posts() ){

$presenter = array();
    	while( $query->have_posts() ){
    		$query->the_post();
    		$presenter['ID'] = get_the_ID();
    		$presenter['image'] = get_the_post_thumbnail_url();
    		$presenter['name'] = get_the_title();
    		$presenter['bio'] = get_the_content();

array_push( $presenters, $presenter );
    	}

}
    wp_reset_postdata();

With that you get the $presenters PHP array that includes a list of "records" (arrays), each containing ID, title, content and image URL for each of the posts - so all the data that you need to display presenters.

Data from such array could easily replace a static texts and image URLs in your JS code, making it a fully operational yet simple to use solution.

Other than this, I think some slider plugin (e.g. one of aforementioned above or some simpler one, like https://wordpress.org/plugins/posts-slider/, but with a big bit of CSS/JS customization) would be another way to go.

If you have any follow-up questions, let me know please.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.