Ad Image Always First Choice in Social Sharing auto thumbnails

I've had to stop using this plugin because any social sharing thing that does auto thumbnails like Reddit/Facebook, for example, will take a seemly random ad image instead of the first image in the post proper.

Is there any way to fix this so that I can continue using this plugin?

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hi danatheteacher, sorry to hear your having issues.

I think I fully understand what the issue is, however for clarity could you please take a screenshot of what you mean and post it here?

To confirm, if it where Facebook as an example and you posted a link on there, it would display an ad image (if images had been used in the ad) instead of the post image?

• danatheteacher
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I've included a few from Reddit.

In Facebook, all the images from most of the In-Post ads come up as options to use as a thumbnail. All the ad images come first before any post images. You are able to choose the post images but I've often had to scroll through 20 images to get there.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

I'm sorry for the late response. The best way of ensuring the image being picked up by Facebook is the one you really want is to add some OpenGraph meta elements to your page header. Using these elements, you can also control the title and snippet (and more) that will be shared too, and you can also add multiple images to be chosen from. Adding these elements is rather simple, and it will help you control how your texts are published on Facebook. You can find a bit more info here: http://ogp.me/, and you can use Facebook's debugger tool to "see" your pages the way Facebook bot does and test your implementation: http://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug

• aceseo
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I'm having the exact same problem. I LOVE this plugin but I'm concerned about turning of fans if I can't get this resolved. I'll check the OpenGraph solution but I'm not sure how that will help with Reddit and Digg. I'm not a developer though so I trust you guys. :slight_smile:

• danatheteacher
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

@Aceseo, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

@VeBailovity, Facebook is not the only problem - ANY social media outlet, including Digg (although it let you choose an image, but the ad image is always first) and Reddit (where you have no choice at all) and Google Plus (limiteing sharing through the usual button method - if you do not share the URL from Google+ proper, then it defaults to ad image).

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings aceseo & danatheteacher,

Please advise if the suggestions VeBailovity offered did not resolve this issue.

If not please reopen this ticket by clicking the mark as unresolved below and please include any additional information that may help us to offer a solution.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.