ad sharing not displaying as an option in post or dashboard to users on singlesite install

On my website, I have not had any success pulling up any of the Adsharing options for any of user, except for the site's superadmin. The ads are showing up fine on the pages, but only those of the superadmin/site, and I haven't found any options to change that when other site users post. Where are general site users supposed to see the options to add their own ad code, in the plug in options in dashboard? Thoughts?

One possible complication is that I am using the user role editor plugin to restrict site/plugin access, and that may have inadvertently blocked all of the non superadmin users from seeing the Adsharing options.

wikilogue.org

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya!

On a single install a settings page will be available to all users of the role Contributor and above in Profile > Advertising.

This will only appear to them after you (the site admin) have selected the available ad locations in Settings > Advertising.

Phil

• nathanewalker
    • New Recruit

Phil - thanks for the wicked fast feedback!

I have the AdShare plugin info setup for site users - I think the problem has to do with the user role editor plugin I also use on the site, as I don't use either the contributor or subscriber roles and instead created a few new roles and have modified their access levels using this plugin.

I don't suppose anyone knows which user roles are used by AdShare that I may have turned off? ......

I've been playing around with adding back different access to see what may be the trigger to give users access to AdShare in the Settings -> Advertising section, without any luck yet.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Okay, the plugin doesn't specifically check the role. Instead, it checks whether or not they can edit other users posts.

Or, in WordPress-speak if they have the edit_others_posts capability.

So, you just need to add that capability to all the roles for whom you want to present the ad sharing features.

Phil

• nathanewalker
    • New Recruit

Been playing around with it, but still no success. I looked at the AdSharing's code file, and noticed the edit_others_posts capability, made sure to add it to all user levels, but that didn't change anything, as I am unable to view the Settings-Advertising section. In fact, the only time any user is able to see the Settings->Advertising section at all is when I have manage_options capability granted to a user, in which case they are then able to see that section, as they are able to edit Adshare's advertising settings for the entire site rather, than just for their own posts/pages.

One possible wrinkle (though I don't think so) is that I made a single edit to the AdSharing code file earlier, changing...
    } elseif( 'post' == $post->post_type ) {
    ...to...
    } elseif( 'incsub_wiki' == $post->post_type ) {

...as my site uses the wpmudev wikis as the go-to post, rather than the usual WP post. However, as the ads show up fine on the wiki posts, I don't think the problem is there.

Thank you for the suggestions thus far, and I appreciate any more help you can provide!

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

The code changes you made seem OK, and shouldn't be triggering issues with the plugin. However, can you please check the "Profile" section of your non-admin users? On a single site install, admin users should have a menu entry named "Advertising" under "Settings". However, non-admin users should have this menu entry under their "Profile" section.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Sorry for the double-post, but I have gone through the plugin to make sure everything is OK and I think I may have spotted a thing that may be related to this. Can you please still check the "Profile" menu item of your non-admin users?

If your non-admin users still don't have access to "Profile" > "Advertising" menu item, can you please try to update your plugin with the attached version, and see if it helps?

• nathanewalker
    • New Recruit

Checked the
    Users ---> Your Profile
    section of dashboard for non-admin users, and didn't see anything for the plug-in or advertising for either the new or old (linked on your second post) version of ad-sharing.

Is there supposed to be a Profile section, rather than a Users section with a subsection titled Your Profile? (for non admin users)

Perhaps something got crossed there, as there isn't a Profile section.

Thanks for any/all help!

• nathanewalker
    • New Recruit

Hmmm... I think this is narrowing down the source of the problem, though I'm not sure how to solve it. Here's a scree capture of a top level non-admin user for my site (attached to post)

As you can see, I don't have a "Profile" section on dashboard, and "Your Profile" is under the section "Users"

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya,

Just checking if it was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, could you let us know by re-opening this topic, and we'll get onto it and helping you out asap!

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thanks,
    Phil

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.