The reason I joined WPMUDev in the first place was to get my hands on the Ad Sharing plugin. I have a website with hundreds of writers and I would LOVE to give them the chance to earn some ad revenue.
Sadly, I was led to believe that the plugin is only for multisite installations, which forced me to turn my single-site Wordpress into a multi-site. But after reading dozens of threads with conflicting answers (some users stating its only for multisite, others stating otherwise) i decided to put the plugin to the test on a single site.
1. First, I manually uploaded the ad sharing plugin ZIP file to WordPress. It installed and activated without issues.
2. Then, I created two test Contributor accounts. I noticed that these accounts now had an "Advertising" tab under their User/Profile, thus allowing them to place the ad code.
3. I placed an ad code under one user, and a different code under the other user. All ad codes were very different from one another so i could distinguish them visually (one was a skyscraper, another was a square, and so on.) I even threw in some Chitika codes along with AdSense into the mix.
4. Finally, I assigned two existing blog posts to each test user individually. To my surprise, both articles displayed their respective ads without a problem. In essence, "person A" had his own ad displayed within his article, as well as "person B."
5. To put the final nail in the coffin, I then inserted a different ad code under MY OWN admin username, setting the site/user ratio to 50/50%. I reloaded the articles in question several times, and they successfully alternated between MY OWN code, and the test users' code.
The plugin page "compatibility" information needs to be updated, to prevent other poor people from being misled.
I also noticed that users can't download/install the plugin through the WPMUDev Dashboard on a single site, stating that "it requires multisite." This also needs updating.
That's all, I just wanted to bring this to your attention, as i think it's very important. Thanks!
P.S. A tip for users: If you wish to give 100% revenue to your writers, then simply do not insert your own ad code.