Adapting Single WP site to Multisite WP

Hi, I'd like to change http://www.thedreamfactory.net to a multisite before I launch it next week so that it's ready on the correct platform type.

I just need a bit of support on how to do this without losing all my work.

I'm using the help page http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

Some questions from this page:

1. it states i need to deactivate all plugins.
Question: once I reinstall them will all their configurations remain from previous install or will I have to start again?

I have done a lot of work on the Gravity Form plugin so just need to know if I need to take screenhots of all their configurations.

2. Where it states "2. Add the specified lines to your .htaccess file ". Which lines are they referring to?
I is the same lines that go into wpconfig?
/* Multisite */
define( 'WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true );

3. Do i then reactivate my plugins and it should all come back as it was but with the networked admin instead as backend?

Thanks

Daniel

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Daniel,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

1. it states i need to deactivate all plugins.
    Question: once I reinstall them will all their configurations remain from previous install or will I have to start again?

This unfortunately is plugin dependent, most plugins don't delete their settings from the database on deactivation but some do, I'd recommend taking screenshots of the configurations, in case the settings are deleted.

2. Where it states "2. Add the specified lines to your .htaccess file ". Which lines are they referring to?
    I is the same lines that go into wpconfig?
    /* Multisite */
    define( 'WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true );

Depending on if you use sub domains or sub directories, they are referring to the .htaccess rewrite rules here, https://codex.wordpress.org/Multisite_Network_Administration#Permalinks

And then there is the additional code that is added to the wp-config.php, your going with sub directories for this site correct? :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Daniel,

Hope you're well today and thanks for the additional information.

As your be using subfolders, you need the following in your .htaccess file.

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

On the other site, I'm investigating that, feel free to turn off registration, as I have super admin so can re-enable if needed :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.