Add a custom gateway for global cart

Hi,
I understand that at the moment global cart is limited to Paypal parallel payments as a payment gateway.
Do you think it's possible to develop a custom gateway that supports marketplace and p2p payments like Paymill Unite or similars? What I need is a way to:
1) keep a commission from vendors
2) eventually delay the payment to vendors. This is already doable with Paypal Chained payments but we cannot use them with global carts.

Are there limitations in the way Marketpress works with global cart or it is a problem linked to the way Paypal works with Chained Payments?
I've seen that Paymill is already implemented as a gateway for single cart. Do you think it's possible to extend that gateway to work with global cart?
Just wanted some hint before spending time and money on custom development.

I'm not interested in Etsy-like solutions, where if a client wants to buy from different vendors he is presented with different checkout buttons. This is really bad in terms of user experience and obviously also brings much less sales than a unified payment flow.

Thanks

• aristath

Hello there @Ant, I hope you're well today!

Currently there is no such implementation. From what I can tell by reading this it is possible using the Adaptive Payments: https://developer.paypal.com/webapps/developer/docs/classic/adaptive-payments/integration-guide/APIntro/ but I'm afraid you'll need to custom-code it...

I have submitted a feature request for this to the plugin developer, but to be honest I can't know if and when such an implementation will happen because it is a rare request!
    If however you do custom-code it, we would be more than happy to take over its maintenance and improvement as we have done in the past with other payment gateways that users have contributed and now exist as part of MarketPress core.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Ant

Thanks for your reply.

I've gone through many posts in the forum and it seems that a lot of people has the same problem:
    use global cart and being stuck with only Paypal Parallel Payments...so it's not so rare...

Anyway I'd like to hear from the developer if there are limitations in Marketpress architecture or is only a problem with paypal.

There are many "new" gateways (Stripe, Braintree, Paymill etc.) that are offering dedicated solutions for marketplace payments (grab commissions, delayed payments, multiple sellers receiving money) and it's so bad that Marketpress is not able to support real multi-vendor setups with a global cart.

I'll surely let you know if in the next months we'll go on with a custom gateway.

cheers

• Aaron

They way global cart works is with parallel payments. So the gateway needs to support collecting one payment and sharing it among multiple store owners to register itself as "global". We haven't found any api's but PayPal's that support that, commission or not.

We do plan soon to rewrite the global cart to work more like Etsy, where is simply displays all the carts and lets you checkout sepatately for each one.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.