Add events from front end

This looks like a great plugin - and very timely.

However, I wondered if it would be possible to allow signed in users to submit these events from the front end of the site, perhaps by including some code to call the plugin's signup template from a front end page?

Many thanks

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hello marcusjwilson,

How are you doing?

I am assuming that you are want this from the font-end so that users do not have to go the dashboard (which can be very confusing for new users), right?

At the moment this is not possible, but here is something you could do. Add a direct link to the "Create New Event" page somewhere on the sidebar (for logged in users). The direct link will look like:

YOUR-DOMAIN.com/wp-admin/post-new.php?post_type=incsub_event

Please refer to this post to see how you can show sidebar widgets only to logged in users:
    http://purplehazard.com/general/show-wp-widgets-to-logged-in-users-only/

I hope this works for you, I am marking this thread as resolved. Feel free to re-open it if you have more questions!

Cheers,
    Arun Basil Lal

• marcusjwilson
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Many thanks, but all the members of my network are "Subscribers", and as "Subscribers", they do not have sufficient rights to access that page to add an event in WordPress Admin.

Is there a way of allowing Subscribers to access the "Create New Event" screen in WP Admin by changing permissions levels restictions in the plugin? Otherwise, I'm still looking for a way for users to submit events from the front end.

All good things
    Marcus

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hello marcusjwilson,

I just had a discussion with the Developer and he has agreed to add the feature you requested into the next update of the plugin (which will be very soon with a ton of awesome updates). A WPMU Membership is like having your own Development Team! Congrats :slight_smile:

You can actually edit the add_submenu_page function in events-and-bookings.php to get this done, (by changing manage_options to read), but this is going to be too much work and you will loose it when the plugin updates (well this time its covered, so no problem, still editing the plugin code is not recommended).

Let me know if you have more suggestions or feedback regarding the plugin!

Arun Basil Lal

• fitoussi
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Marcus,
    You can try the "role scoper" plugin. It gives you the ability to set different rules to different user role. I am pretty sure (not 100% but it is free to try) that you can set the "new event" function to work with subscriber.

• isis
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I also need for my members to be able to add events from the front end. In fact, unless they are a very high level of user, I do not want them in the dashboard area at all - that's the goal anyway. It's taking a lot of do-arounds however.

I think the understanding here is that we are all creating sites (multi-sites) where we are encouraging everyone to subscribe to our site for their blogging needs. That's not the case in my site's situation at all. In fact, it will only be members who have a very highly vested interested in the focus of the main site (my company and its mission) whom I will want to have sub-sites in the network.

Just something for the developers here to keep in mind as you keep building awesome plugins - many of us do not want them to be something that the end user "sees" just a feature they can utilize...if that makes sense?

Thanks!
    Isis

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

@marcusjwilson and @isis

The update of the plugin will be towards the end of this week, our developer is focused fully on just this one now. I will be asking him to take a look at your replies as well.

Thanks for your awesome feedbacks!

Cheers,
    Arun Basil Lal

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

A resident front-end post-form is, IMHO, essential for any community network... and this goes for any plugin that requires input from users. If users must go to the WP dashboard to create content, much time and effort is wasted on instructing them on the use of the dashboard, as well as hiding restricted areas.

Looking forward to this update! :slight_smile:

@marcusjwilson - Sent you some points for an excellent suggestion!

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

@pcwriter and all:

I just got confirmation from the Developer that a front-end submission form will be part of the next update. Yayy!

A WPMU Dev membership is just like having your own development team, when the update rolls out, you will know :slight_smile:

Arun Basil Lal

• isis

Oh My Goodness!! That is the best news I have had in days (except for when my site quit giving me hassles last night, haha!)

This IS the calendaring solution I have been looking for - for over a year now!! I cannot wait to see the front end submission form and try it out! My community is completely based around members adding events to calendar(s) and input in forums, so this is absolutely brilliant!! I'd kiss the developers of this plugin if I were able!!

Thanks so much!
    Isis

• isis

From pcwriter:

A resident front-end post-form is, IMHO, essential for any community network... and this goes for any plugin that requires input from users. If users must go to the WP dashboard to create content, much time and effort is wasted on instructing them on the use of the dashboard, as well as hiding restricted areas.

Absolutely, positively, with no doubt, my feelings exactly. Users have enough to get used to when joining a new online community. Just navigating the front end is an experience I try to create that will keep them interested. Ending up on the dashboard immediately creates a "cold" feeling and one of "huh??" - something I would really like to avoid. Those who are really committed to my company's mission will be walked through that process as it is deemed necessary (ie, starting an active community in a physical region different than mine). Otherwise, I would like for all the CSS work I have put in to remain what the user experiences :smiley:

Just my .02 to go along with pcwriter's.

Cheers!

• Randy

Did this happen? I find it not easy to get "how to" info from WPMUDEV. Like, This is step 1, then step 2, then 3 . . . especially with regard as to how to use the plugins once they are installed. At that point I no longer need to be "sold" on it, I just want to make it work! Events+ for example in one place has three options for help and they ALL go to the stupid :42 sales video which doesn't tell you a blessed thing!
    So, long story short, did this happen? Can i have my folks load events from the front end?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.