add feature post section with thumbnail to sidebar

I would like to add a featured category section to the Magazine sidebar. Ideally I would like to be where the text option is currently(At the top of the sidebar), and the present the featured category's latest posts and thumbnails. Similar to the "category home posts". I'm comfortable with editing and customizing the PHP so if you could point in the right direction on what and how to edit this theme.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hello ddtheme,

I'll see if I can get our resident expert, Tammie, to shed some light on this, but just to clarify, are you looking to replace the current slider's functionality, or simply add something somewhat similar to the sidebar next to it?

Cheers,
    David

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

You would start at home.php maybe into slideshow.php and work outwards with whatever files you wanted to adjust from there.

If you want to add theme options to allow a category being picked that's getting far more complex so I'd suggest you stick to a simple fixed one.

As it's a custom dev job we can't really support it so we'd advise you create it in your child theme.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.