Add field(s) to PPV plugin settings for monthly/yearly subscriptions

It's not documented anywhere that is easy to find -- on either WMPUDev's site or PayPal's -- that you cannot have recurring subscriptions for more than ~90 days (92 might be the limit, cannot find an official source).

It would be great if there were an option for the PPV plugin settings to change from using days to months or years, because otherwise we have to hack the plugin code to get things working for a yearly subscription.

It would also be great if a warning appeared when an admin tries to set the recurring time to 92+ days.

Something like, "Heads-up! PayPal subscriptions longer than 92 days need to use months or years. Please change the Subscription period type from "days" to "months" or "years" and adjust number of days/months/years accordingly."

Everything else works beautifully, and since a quick form adjustment fixes everything it would be a simple matter of adjusting the settings so that the form output works within PayPal's subscription constraints.

Is there any chance this might be fixed so we don't have to manually modify the form output?

aecnu

Greetings mynorthmedia,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

Thank you for this great question and bringing this significant issue to our attention.

I clearly see your point about the months, years etc. and the lead developer would be in charge of making this happen.

Therefore I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

Hakan

Hi,

You are right that there is a limit by paypal for recurring subscriptions, and currently it is about 90 days. They may change it in the future which we cannot know. Pay Per View does not apply any limit itself.

However I feel that you are missing the main point: Pay Per View is not a membership plugin. It is a micro publishing plugin and recurring memberships which are renewed longer than every 90 days for such websites are very very unlikely, even if it is possible. Please note the name of the plugin: "Pay Per View".

If you really need such subscriptions, then you should use our Membership plugin in which you can adjust your memberships and protect your contents more effectively:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/

Cheers,
    Hakan

mynorthmedia

Joe / Hakan,

I don't mean to sound hostile, but I think YOU are missing the main point. Your membership plugin looks great, but it's not what we need. The Pay-Per-View plugin is exactly what is needed for one of our sites, with the only adjustment being the ability to extend recurring charges beyond 90 days in a manner that doesn't trigger PayPal errors.

If you guys are aware of the 90 day limitation, why isn't there at least a sentence somewhere in the settings page that explains this to people using the PPV plugin with PayPal if you are going to continue with days-only?

And beyond some ideological motivations on your end, there is no reason this plugin cannot be adjusted to extend membership to use month/year units. We need the ability to accommodate pay-per-view content and yearly subscriptions via PayPal and your PPV plugin does this beautifully except for the absolutely arbitrary assignment of days that comes with a 90 unit limit.

It really shouldn't matter what you "feel" or "think" above, you have a paying customer suggesting a simple change and are shutting down the suggestion simply because you don't agree with the intended usage or are trying to sell another product as a solution. Changing to accommodate months/years would add value to your product without impacting the intended use, but I completely understand trying to up-sell to another product of yours.

Since the code is GPL'd we'll be making the change ourselves, and I'm a bit disappointed here at this entire exchange.

aecnu

Greetings mynorthmedia,

Thank you for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

I tried to help you the best that I could with the the authority I am entrusted with.

I will be more cautious in the future to when a request is made that does not meet the terms of our support mandate to send it swiftly to the feature requests and then the ticket is closed rather then try to get the help of the one with the authority (the lead developer/coder) to make these kinds of decisions and coding changes.

I am certainly disappointed with your response to my efforts to help though I even exceeded the limit of my authority and requirements thereof.

Obviously you are missing the point, I tried to help above and beyond what I was required to do.

Cheers, Joe

Hakan

Hi,

If you guys are aware of the 90 day limitation, why isn't there at least a sentence somewhere in the settings page that explains this to people using the PPV plugin with PayPal if you are going to continue with days-only?

Simple because it is not a rule written on the stone, not documented for the developers and we have no control over it. Paypal does not limit itself with such an exact figure. I have already noted that:

They may change it in the future which we cannot know. Pay Per View does not apply any limit itself.

So you have to ask Paypal "what is your limit, why don't you increase it", not to us. It is your Paypal account, not ours. Once again, we are not applying any limit.

It really shouldn't matter what you "feel" or "think" above, you have a paying customer suggesting a simple change and are shutting down the suggestion simply because you don't agree with the intended usage or are trying to sell another product as a solution.

It is not shutting down. I am moving it to requests & feedback section so that it is more visible for me or other developers in future improvements. If a bug ticket is marked as resolved it is not reviewed again, because it is simply "resolved". But a requests & feedback thread is always reviewed again and again.

Since the code is GPL'd we'll be making the change ourselves, and I'm a bit disappointed here at this entire exchange.

Absolutely you can do like that. I am disappointed because of your words as well.

Cheers,
    Hakan