Add more fields

Hello, I was wondering if there is a way to add more fields. Currently there is the Description field. Would like to add more fields in addition to that one.
Thanks
Eric

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi @eholland

Welcome to the forums!

Do you mean the description field (that site admins fill out) that is displayed on the landing page?

If so, then it is possible to add more fields to that area. However, that would require some custom coding on your part.

While custom coding is beyond the scope of the support that we provide here, we do indeed try to help whenever we can, and if we know the answer will respond regardless.

So I'll see if the developer can come in and provide some insight into this. Hang on...

• eholland
    • New Recruit

Thanks Patrick for the quick reply! Yes, it would be great if in addition to the Site Description field, I could add additional fields that the site admin would fill out. Then these fields would be displayed in addition to the description field on the page that lists all the sites in that category. Thank you again :slight_smile:
    Eric

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@eholland,

Thanks for the idea. Can you provide some details on what fields you would like to see added?

Like many WordPress plugins the Site Categories plugin does not have a dynamic form engine. Adding some form engine to let you add various field type on the fly would be just too much. Meaning the extra fields you may request in all likely hood would be different from the fields requested from other plugin members.

See what I'm getting at? But reply to my question about the extra fields and let's turn this into a feature request where other members can vote on it.

• eholland
    • New Recruit

Hi Paul, thank you for your response. I was thinking it would be great not only to have "site description" but maybe the following fields as well:

Address(es)
    Hours of Operation
    Phone Number(s)

Things like that. Kind of making the Site Directory plugin more of a robust Business Directory plugin. I know WPMU has a Directory plugin already that is meant for business directories, but I have been playing with it and it is quite unwielding. The Sites Category plugin already is plays nicely with Multisite. What I mean by this is when you click on the site link on the category listing page it goes directly to the sites home page, unlike the Directory plugin.

So just dreaming out loud here....would be very very cool if a site admin could add fields to his or her liking and a site visitor would see that information when they browsed to the category list page.

Would also be really nice if the information filled in by the site admin along with site description could be exposed via widgets on the actual site.

I am building a network of Restaurants and I am using MarketPress for online meal ordering. I have limited visibility to much of the WP admin back-end for site adminstrators except for what they need. Want to make this as simple as possible for the restaurant owners so if they could fill out some simple form fields once and the form fields could populate the category list page AS WELL AS some widgets on the actual site, that would be AMAZING!

Want to say great work on everything and thank you again for such fast responses!
    Eric

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@eholland,

Yeah, I can see your point. But again that type of information could be just entered into the description field since it is generic enough that you can enter most anything. The problem of course is you don't have a way to control formatting.

Well I say we put this to a vote with the members and see who gives it +1.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.