Add more web sites to WPMU "My Sites"

Can't figure out how to "add sites" to my Multisites. When I add a website to my original login - it adds it as a sub-domain and not one in my root

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hey @2danimator,

Yep! That's how multisite does things. In fact, every site in the network runs off the same WordPress files. They even share the files for plugins and themes. It just creates separate database tables for each site to store the content.

To add sites, you'll need to visit your network dashboard:

http://yoursite.com/wp-admin/network

Your original admin account should be the "super admin" who can create sites. Once logged in, you can create them from the "Sites" menu page.

Best regards,

• 2danimator
    • Flash Drive

Hi Alexander and Buooy:

Thanks. I understand I can build a new sub-directory within each site, but I want to create new urls to add to the multisite files.

For example, I have two websites: http://www.minihahas.com and http://www.modeemerald.com . Each live in a subdirectory within my server "root/minihahas.com" and "root/modeemerald.com" . Can I have both websites show up in one single "wpmu networks" dashboard making it possible to update either site?

• Wharrf
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi 2danimator,

I hope I get your requirements:

basically at the moment you have 2 separate instances of WordPress (minihahas and modeemerald). Each have their own WordPress folders, files and database i.e. they have their own separate wp-config files, separate wp-content folders.

You want to find a way to put them into a WP multisite network.

if that is the case, you will need to do a WordPress site migration rather than just copying over files.

Step 1: Create a WP Multisite network under minihahas (I believe you have done this)
    Step 2: Install WPMU Domain Mapping (This will allow you to map domains.. duh)
    Step 3: Create a new site under Minihahas called modeemerald. (This will give you a subdomain called modeemarald.minihahas.com)
    Step 4: Export your content from your original modeemerald.com by going to tools->export
    Step 5: Import the file of your content into your new subdomain at modeemerald.minihahas.com by going to tools->import (you will need to install WordPress importer... last option)
    Step 6: copy your theme folder from modeemerald.com (location: MODEEMERALD_HOME/wp-content/themes/MODEEMERALD_THEME) into your minihahas.com instance (location:MINIHAHAS_HOME/wp-content/themes)
    Step 7: Go to your subdomain, modeemerald.minihahas.com and activate your theme in Appearance
    Step 8: Go to your DNS provider and point the A record to your server IP (or if you are using CPANEL, just "migrate" the DNS to your hosting provider)
    Last Step: Follow https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/#usage

KACHING! We are good to go.... hope I didnt overcomplicate things

My advice though is to get a developer or WordPress Maintenance Company to do it.

• 2danimator
    • Flash Drive

Hi Alex:

I still don't get the concept of multisites. Okay, I login to my first site. I added the new web site to the list.

Your original admin account should be the "super admin" who can create sites. Once logged in, you can create them from the "Sites" menu page.

Now what??? The dashboard to the new site has no connection to the other sites as well as the main WPMU site. The themes and the plugins are not updated to the ones I already installed in the first site. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
    Vern

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @2danimator,

Do you have a network dashboard, and have you actually installed WordPress as a Multisite network? for example, can you go here? http://yoursite.com/wp-admin/network

It sounds more like you're working with several individual sites :disappointed:

From the network dashboard, you should be handling all plugin and theme updates. You are actually only working with one set of files that are shared by all the sites in the network.

To get a site under "My Sites" you'll just need to make sure the user you are logged into has a "role" on that site. You can do this by visiting the sub site and going to "Users -> Add New"

A network can have hundreds of sites, and you may only want a few under "My Sites" So that's why you'll only see site's that your account has an active role on. (like admin, or subscriber)

Best regards,

• 2danimator
    • Flash Drive

Hello Alexander and Buooy:

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it. I'm talking it over with the Godaddy guys. I'm upgrading my server application to Linux from a Windows setup. That could be the answer to all these multi-site problems. Keeping my fingers crossed. I'll let you know what happens. We upgrade tomorrow night. Let me know what you think before-hand.

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hey @2danimator,

Sounds good! Thanks for letting us know! Most WordPress sites actually run on linux.

I think this would be quite a beneficial switch if there's no other reason you need Windows. It would make your site behave like most other normal installations which greatly helps when you need to do troubleshooting.

Best regards,

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.