add new field in appointments +

In this tutorial they show us how to add meet me on skype etc
https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/streamline-client-consultations/
This is where things get interesting. We’re going to set up custom options so your clients can choose where they would like to meet.

In the “field label,” type in the location in a descriptive way such as “Meet me on Skype.” Select “Checkbox” under “Field type” and leave the checkbox for “Required?” unchecked. Now click the “Add” button. Now you can add a text field in the same way so clients can enter their Skype handle if they choose this option.

My question is how do I get the links to skype, google etc to show up in checkbox I created in the add new field?

Thanks

• Bojan Radonic

Hey there @michael,

Hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

You're actually going to have to make another text field below where your clients can enter their skype name which is not displayed in the first screenshot in the tutorial so I understand why this looks confusing.

So you'll have one field (checkbox) where user checks if he wants to use Skype and second field (text) where he/she can enter his skype name.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Bojan

• Bojan Radonic

Hey again @michael,

You don't have to create anything, you can use those placeholders in the emails to display that information. If you go to Appointments -> Settings -> General and scroll down to Notification Settings you'll see email messages where you can use those along side the other predefined placeholders such as CLIENT or SITE_NAME.

This should display that information added by the client in the confirmation/notification emails.

Please let me know if this helps :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Bojan

• michael

let go one at a time
    you wrote:
    So you'll have one field (checkbox) where user checks if he wants to use Skype and second field (text) where he/she can enter his skype name.

1.Sorry this did not work - I think it is more complicated than you think - please let me know how to do this or please tell me who else I can ask

2. you need to be way more specific re what I need to do for the email - I have no idea what you wrote - please show me step by step
    thank you

• Bojan Radonic

Hey @michael,

I'm really sorry my instructions are not clear enough for you :slight_frown:

So first things first, additional fields in the tutorial you linked above are being used to display how clients that come to your site to book an appointment can send their Skype account name for example so you can contact them via Skype.

To create additional fields please access your site admin and navigate to Appointments -> Settings -> Add-ons and activate Additional fields add on, see screenshot.

Once done additional options will appear in Appointments -> Settings -> General -> Display Settings where you can add those fields. To allow your clients to choose if they want to be contacted by Skype and to add their Skype name for example you'll have to add two additional fields there. One field will be a checkbox where they can check if want to be contacted and the other field is a simple text field where they can enter their Skype name. See screenshot 2 of the admin area.

When you do that those two fields are going to be displayed in the confirmation box once you try to book an appointment on the front end, see screenshot 3.

Once you add the info on the front as a client the information is outputted in the backend in Appointments -> Appointments -> Pending Appointments where you go to confirm the appointment, see screenshot 4.

As for using newly created placeholders in emails please go to your admin area and navigate to Appointments -> Settings -> General -> Notification Settings and check for example "Confirmation email Message" which is being sent to provider and client once appointment has been confirmed you'll be able to see other placeholder text which is being used there such as CLIENT, SERVICE, SITE_NAME.

Placeholders are being used so you can display dynamic text, so instead of CLIENT in the email client actual name that is being entered when booking an appointment will be displayed. You can find list of available placeholders in the bottom of Notification Settings in Appointments -> Settings -> General, see screenshot 5.

So you can use the newly created placeholder text from you additional fields to output that information in those mails. You can find that new placeholder text below the additional fields in Appointments -> Settings -> General -> Display Settings, see screenshot 6.

To place them into for example confirmation mails simply paste them to "Confirmation email Message" in Appointments -> Settings -> General -> Notification Settings, see screenshot 7.

Once you do that information will be displayed in the confirmation mail, see screenshot 8.

Hope this makes sense :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Bojan

• Bojan Radonic

Hey again @michael,

1. Unfortunately drag and drop of custom fields is not possible in the current version of the plugin. I'll add that as a feature request so it might be implemented in the future versions of the plugin.

2. Adding that into emails is not necessary. You could use it to simply display that information to your providers in case they will handle that part (chatting via Skype) and not the side admin and for your clients in case you want them to see what they've typed in there. The reason I say this is because only site administrators can access that part of your admin (Appointments -> Appointments -> Pending Appointments) so having confirmation mails setup like that would be useful so your providers can get that information in case they need it. If site admin will do the "chatting via Skype part" the information is already displayed Appointments -> Appointments -> Pending Appointments so there is not need for that.

Hope this makes sense :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Bojan

• michael

ok we still have a problem
    I thought that I could add all of the fields - skype, hangouts, telephone to the default email and then only the one the user checks will end up being in the email sent.

This is not the case as all of the fields - skype, telephone and hangouts are in the email even though the user only checked skype and even though user only put in his skype name and not google hangouts or telephone

I want this feature so service providers will have the contact type - skype, hangouts, telephone in the confirmation email - HOW CAN I DO IT SO ONLY THE ONE THE USER PICKS IS IN THE EMAIL?

• Bojan Radonic

Hey @michael,

This is not something that is possible out of a box with the current version of the plugin, it would have to be custom coded. Since there are filters for additional fields I'll include one of our SLS developers for his valuable opinion on this matter.

Please note that, developer response might be slower than usual staff response, so we appreciate your patience on this.

Best regards,
    Bojan

• Bojan Radonic

Hey @michael,

Well since you don't want to use all placeholders in the confirmation mails I'd suggest not using them in the emails until we get a response from our SLS developer to see if this can be done, and if needed manually update your providers with the information or you can give them admin access if there are a lot of appointments so they can check for that information on their own.

Best regards,
    Bojan

• Bojan Radonic

Hey @michael,

Using placeholders simply displays information your client inserted on the front end in the confirmation box. If those fields are left empty nothing will be displayed in the emails. For example I've left checkbox and the field empty and this is the output in the email I've got, see screenshot. You can also check how the mail looks in my admin area where placeholders are added, see screenshot 2.

So If you want to display your client skype name in that mail you should use the text field placeholder instead of the checkbox one, use this one FIELD_MYSKYPENAME or for telephone this one FIELD_MYTELEPHONENUMBER.

Best regards,
    Bojan

• michael

ok lets try agaIn
    Lets go back to the original question: I want users to choose how they will communicate with the service providers. I want them to choose between skype, hangouts, phone or other options. I want all of the options to be available for them to choose when they sign up for a service provider
    I want that information they fill in to be part of the confirmation email they receive
    so they will have several choices, skype, hanouts phone
    lets say they choose skype - check the skype box and put in their skype name in another text box below
    they DO NOT check the hangouts or telephone options and DO NOT put in their hangout info or telephone number

In the confirmation email for the user I want it to say meeting will be via skype. In the confirmation email for the Service provider I want it to say meeting will be skype and have the user's skype name in the confirmation

If the user choose telephone and not skype - I only want the telephone in the user confirmation and the telephone and number in the service provider confirmation email

Please advice - this should not be hard and should be part of the plugin

• Bojan Radonic

Hey again @michael,

As I mentioned above empty placeholders will not be displayed in the email but either way you have to add some text next to them in order for your provider to know which type of contact your clients wish to use, for example:

Hangouts: PLACEHOLDER

So if you don't want text Skype to be displayed if the field is not used by your client that has to be custom coded and we'll have to wait for input from our SLS developer.

As an alternative you could create a single checkbox named "Want to chat/call with our provider" and single text field below which you can call "Insert contact information - we offer contact via Skype, Hangouts, Phone (ex: Skype - Your Skype Name)" and then place the following into your confirmation mail:

Additional contact information:
    TEXT_PLACEHOLDER

So the mails displayed for your provider should look like this:

Skype - bojanskype

Or with empty second line if the field wasn't used. If that is not something that would work for you we'll have to wait for the SLS developer.

Best regards,
    Bojan

• michael

this solution may work - you wrote: As an alternative you could create a single checkbox named "Want to chat/call with our provider" and single text field below which you can call "Insert contact information - we offer contact via Skype, Hangouts, Phone (ex: Skype - Your Skype Name)" and then place the following into your confirmation mail:

I am confused as to what I need to put in the emails - can you set this up and send me a screen shot please?
    screen shot of the fields and screen shot of what to cut and paste into the emails
    thanks

• Bojan Radonic

Hey @michael,

Sure thing, first please check the screenshot 1 of additional fields. You'll note that there are only two, one with the checkbox and the other with text field for contact information.

Please copy placeholder from the second field (the text field, see screenshot 2) and paste it into your confirmation email (screenshot 3).

So if your clients type for example phone - 123 123 123 in that field your emails should look like this:

phone - 123 123 123

If they do not use the field the phone part will just be blank.

If you're uncomfortable of setting this up please let me know and I can do that for you.

Best regards,
    Bojan

• michael

please go to my site - it did not work - see if you can set it up
    It is very important that the skype name, google profile or telephone is in the confirmation email that service provider gets and that somehow they know if it is skype, hangouts or phone - maybe obvious from context
    Please let me know
    VERY IMPORTANT - IF YOU MAKE CSS CHANGES WE NEED TO SEE HOW IT LOOKS ON MOBILE AS WELL - THANKS

• Bojan Radonic

Hey @michael,

I've tested this on your site and it appears that only new placeholders are not being properly executed. I'm not sure why this is not working properly and I'm assuming this is probably caused by a theme/plugin conflict so can you please try testing for a conflict by following the flowchart on this page here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

Best regards,
    Bojan

• Bojan Radonic

Hey @michael,

I'm not sure why that specific placeholder is not being executed while others in the same confirmation mail are working properly. Everything I suggest to you so far I've been testing separately on my sandbox site and didn't have these issues which leads me to believe this is either a plugin or theme conflict.

Your setup was fine and you did everything I suggested so there was nothing for me to add there aside from the CSS for the front end which I didn't add since we're having issues with the placeholder in the first place so we'll have to fix that first.

The standard troubleshooting flow is explained in the link I provided above so you can go through the flowchart to see if any plugin/theme is causing this, I've also contacted plugin developer for some feedback.

Best regards,
    Bojan

• Bojan Radonic

Hey again @michael,

I've been testing this on your site and my sandbox site and I've found what the issue is with that placeholder.

The problem is that the one that we used on your site looked like this:

FIELD_MYSKYPENAMEGOOGLEPROFILEORTELEPHONEISEXSKYPE-SKYPENAME

The text is auto generated from the name of the field and if you look up closely it contains PHONE in it which already predefined placeholder. Please check screenshot from available placeholders in Appointments -> Settings -> General -> Notification Settings.

So if you look closely into your email you get you'll see that the PHONE part is not there and it looks like this:

FIELD_MYSKYPENAMEGOOGLEPROFILEORTELEISEXSKYPE-SKYPENAME

Because there is no value for PHONE, plugin simply displays nothing instead. I've already reported this to our developer so he can make changes in future versions of the plugin so we can avoid situations like this one.

As for your issue in order for this to work we'll have to remove phone part from that field name, so what I did is renamed it to this "My Skype name, Google Profile or Tel number is (ex: Skype - skypename):" and placeholder seems to be working now.

I've also added some CSS to place that name field in one line since there is a lot of text there, this is the code I've added in Appointments -> Settings -> Display Settings -> Additional css rules:

.appointments-field.appointments-myskypenamegoogleprofileortelnumberisexskype-skypename-field span {
      width: 100%;
      padding-top: 10px;
    }

input#appointments-myskypenamegoogleprofileortelnumberisexskype-skypename70fa5cfd2b9a387d2a7d895ff18c83a8 {
      float: right;
      margin-right: 58px;
    }

Best regards,
    Bojan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.