Add Pinterest Button to Floating Social

Did a quick search and did not see if this feature request is out there, so here it is: Can Pinterest be added as one of the buttons on floating social? Thanks

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings marcdubeau,

Thank you for being a WPMU member!

One of the coolest things about floating social is that you can add your own buttons including Pinterest if you are so inclined.

In the site admin panel --> Settings --> Floating Social --> Add new Custom Service

You can add just about anything you want in there too making it so that it is not necessary to wait for it to be added as a feature when you can do it immediately.

If this thread is not resolved because the suggested action did not work or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• marcdubeau
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks guys. Works great on a site by site basis, but just wondering, is there a way to set it so it works site wide? I tried setting it up in Network Admin and the settings do not go out to the Network. Am I missing something? Thanks

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey marcdubeau.

I'm sorry, the way the plugin currently works is for site by site use. Network activating it simply enables it for all sites.

I would have thought though that anything added in the Network Admin area should be used by sub sites. Makes sense to me otherwise having those options in Network Admin for custom services are not needed.

Because of that I think it might be a bug rather than intended use, I'll let the developer know.

Thanks.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey guys.

I spoke with Ve about this.

Apparently this is not a bug, I shall explain.

If you network enable then you can set up everything within the network admin are. Providing those subsites do not have any settings entered then they will take the global settings i.e. those done from the network area.

Sites with existing settings will take precedence.

Settings in the network admin area won't show on subsites. Its like a "soft" mechanism, where if the site has settings use them, else use the network settings.

So, in this particular context, when a user adds a Pinterest service in network settings, this service will appear on all sub-sites that *do not* have any settings for Floating Social. For other sites, the ones that have any settings recorded, the newly added service simply won't exist.

I hope this helps.

Take care.

• drift2
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Right now when I am adding a pinterest pin, it is not picking up an image... it is blank. I need to be able to tell it what image per page (The Featured Image) I want to pick up. I am not sure what the best way is to do this...

• RickMacMerc
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

It would be great if this worked. I'd love to keep all my social icons in Floating Social but it seems like seamlessly integrating Pin It buttons is a bit of a problem for anyone who doesn't want to assign a specific image or video to that button for every page as it's published.

All the plugins I've tried thus far grab the same image out of my header and can't make the simple leap of logic that would grab the title of the page and make it the subject line of the Pin. I have to believe the problem is on both ends of the issue.

Like I said, it would be great if this worked. For the time being, I'm going to wait for the update to Floating Social that brings my posts to Pinterest properly.

Thanks everybody.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey RickMacMerc.

Thats more to do with the Pinterest code that the floating social. You could look at coding something which would allow you to change the image url being submitted.

All floating social is allowing you to do is input Pinterests code, its their code which pulls the image.

You could write some code to include pinterest by default, and then have an a variable passed into the query string.

That would unfortunately be a custom job for now. You could always ask Pinterest to see if they will include the option to select other images from a page.

Take care.

• Clifford P
    • The Bug Hunter

+1 for Pinterest integration

FYI: If not picking up an image, make sure it's specified with og:image meta tag (open graph). And/Or make sure it's big enough resolution. I don't know what Pinterest's lowest-resolution is, but I've tried to manually pin pages that had images but the error Pinterest gave me was something like "no high res images found".

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

The latest plugin release (v1.5, just released) includes a Pinterest service. The new service will automatically use your post featured image for sharing on Pinterest. If it can't find the featured image to share, the default behavior is to not show the sharing button. Also, both of these behaviors can be relatively easily modified through hooks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.