Add Pro Sites subscriber to mailing list

Using Pro Sites on multisite. I am wondering if there's a way to automatically add Pro Sites subscribers to a mailing list. Also, any recommendation on which email provider would be best for this matter?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello GeekMaster,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

There's no such integration in Pro Sites so that's not possible "out of the box", I'm afraid.

There is, however, an integration with MailChimp in our Membership 2 Pro plugin. A workaround that could work would be to install Membership 2 Pro (might be just on a main site), create some membership on it (doesn't have to be public) and set MailChimp integration, assigning selected MailChimp list to that specific membership.

With Pro Sites, all the "pro sites subscribers" are actually admins of their own sites. There's this unofficial code (it should be used as an MU plugin) that is supposed to add all admins of Pro Sites sites to the selected membership automatically:

https://gist.github.com/bappi-d-great/d92e4b4846428c73f2de75696365f57f

The "flow" would then be like this:

user signs up for a site -> site is created and user becomes its admin (a "pro sites subscriber") -> that user is automatically added to selected members -> membership 2 pro adds that user to the selected mailchimp mailing list.

That could work but please note that it's not an "official solution" and I didn't have a chance to test it. There's no built-in integration of that kind so that might serve as a "workaround" but you'd need to test it.

The other solution would mean custom coding. You might want to ask for custom development work at our "Jobs & Pros" job board (please note: no WPMU DEV staff involved!) here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

Having that said, I think an integration with either MailChimp or some other mailing provider or - even better - e.g. with our own Hustle plugin (that includes integration with multiple providers already) - would make a great feature so I'm moving this thread to our "Features and Feedback" forum as a feature request.

If more Members of our Community will support that idea, our developers might implement it in Pro Sites in future.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• GeekMaster

Hello Adam,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I definitely agree that an integration of Prosites with either the major mailing providers or Hustle plugin is necessary. It's so important to add these people to an email list because Prosites control the membership for all users and it makes sense to have an email marketing feature to help us market more offers or sendout newsletters. I hope to see that feature in the near future.

For the mean time,
    - You've mentioned using Membership 2 as an alternative, Should I activate the plugin on the primary domain ONLY or on the nework level?

(I'd like to offer the membership plugin as a premium plugin to my Prosite users that's why I prefer to keep it activated only per each site)

- Regarding the unofficial code/plugin that is supposed to add all admins of Pro Sites sites to the selected membership automatically, I'm afraid of the idea using unsupported or unoffocial plugins for security purposes. Is there an alternative popular plugin that can do the same job and work with Membership 2?

- Lastly, Instead of relying on the Membership 2 plugin and the unofficial code/plugin mentioned,
    Is there a different way/plugin that you are aware of that could automatically run and export "pro sites subscribers" to a list, perhaps .csv file that I can then import manually to my mailing provider?

Thanks in advance

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi @andy007_boss!

For the mean time,
    - You've mentioned using Membership 2 as an alternative, Should I activate the plugin on the primary domain ONLY or on the nework level?

I think main site should be enough in this case so you could still be offering the plugin as a part of your Pro Site "packages". You'd just need to make sure that the membership the admins are automatically added to is non public and has some really unique name so there wouldn't be any chance that the same membership exists anywhere on the network.

- Regarding the unofficial code/plugin that is supposed to add all admins of Pro Sites sites to the selected membership automatically, I'm afraid of the idea using unsupported or unoffocial plugins for security purposes. Is there an alternative popular plugin that can do the same job and work with Membership 2?

I'm afraid not. The code that I shared was created by one of my colleagues here (WPMU DEV employee) so it's not "risky" but still - it's not any official release and a part of the plugin. I'm not aware of any 3rd-party plugins that would work like that with M2P and Pro Sites, I don't think there's any "official release" of any kind.

There's also no option/plugin to "export pro sites subscribers" so in case unofficial code/custom developed code is not an option, the other ways to go would only be to either get it custom developed by some trusted "in house" developers of yours for you or hopefully other WPMU DEV Members will vote for the idea so our developers would implement it in future.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• GeekMaster

Hey Adam,

1) Just wanted more clarification on what you've mentioned earlier:
    I think main site should be enough in this case so you could still be offering the plugin as a part of your Pro Site "packages". You'd just need to make sure that the membership the admins are automatically added to is non public and has some really unique name so there wouldn't be any chance that the same membership exists anywhere on the network.

Let's say I have plans created in Membership 2 and named as: Silver, Gold & Platinum

What you are trying to say is that, If one of my multisite users decided to activate & use Memebership 2 on their site and they created plans using the same names (Silver, Gold & Platinum), then that will cause issues?! Please elaborate

2) I like the idea of using Membership plugin along with Prosites because I'm planning to offer some private special content for Prosites admins who have the highest plan.

Since I can use the unofficial plugin you've mentioned earlier to add all admins of Pro Sites sites to the selected membership automatically. I'm assuming that If I have plans in Prosites named like: Silver, Gold & Platinum and I created plans in Membership 2 as: Silver, Gold & Platinum.

Then I can use the unofficial plugin to bridge the gap and filter Prosites users and add them automatically to the same plans in Membership 2 correspondingly so as an example, If I'm offering exclusive content only to people who are (Gold) in membership 2, then Only admins/users of Prosites in level (Gold) will be able to view that exclusive content because they have been added & filtered automatically to Membership 2 (thanks to the unofficial plugin). Correct me If I'm wrong?!

3) I'm assuming that using that same concept, I can create separate 3 lists in Mailchimp (Silver, Gold & Platinum) and add Prosites users to these separate lists correspondingly. Right?

Thanks in advance

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi @andy007_boss!

What you are trying to say is that, If one of my multisite users decided to activate & use Memebership 2 on their site and they created plans using the same names (Silver, Gold & Platinum), then that will cause issues?! Please elaborate

No, that shouldn't cause any issues. The Membership 2 Pro can be activated on Multisite in two (or, actually, three - I'll explain it below) modes: "per site" and "network".

In fact, there's no difference in a way the plugin works regardless whether it's "per site" or "network" activated. The only difference is that if you do "network enable" it, it will be enabled on all sites. It won't be also possible to make it available or not depending on Pro Sites level - it will be by default active an all sites and admins of them won't be able to disable it. But memberships, members base, protection rules and so on (including payment gateways settings) will still be separate and independent for each site.

If you don't network-enable it, the only difference will be that you will be able to make it available or not depending on Pro Sites level and admins of the sites will be able to activate it or not on their sites.

The "third mode" is a bit different. If Membership 2 Pro is network-enabled, you can add a line to "wp-config.php" that is switching it to "network-wide" tool. In that case, plugin works from Network Admin centrally for entire Multisite. So - it cannot be made available/not available via Pro Sites, it cannot be managed by sub-sites admins and all the payments go to you as a super-admin (central payment configuration). That's, however, a very specific setup.

(...) Then I can use the unofficial plugin to bridge the gap and filter Prosites users and add them automatically to the same plans in Membership 2 correspondingly so as an example, If I'm offering exclusive content only to people who are (Gold) in membership 2, then Only admins/users of Prosites in level (Gold) will be able to view that exclusive content because they have been added & filtered automatically to Membership 2 (thanks to the unofficial plugin). Correct me If I'm wrong?

Yes, you're right. You will need to make sure that you have specified correct plans in that code that I suggested but other than that, this logic sounds legit :slight_smile: I need to stress that out again though: I really didn't have a chance to test it and I cannot offer you any guarantee or promise on this. You will need to extensively test and triple-check it before going "live".

3) I'm assuming that using that same concept, I can create separate 3 lists in Mailchimp (Silver, Gold & Platinum) and add Prosites users to these separate lists correspondingly. Right?

Yeah, as long as you have members added to memberships - that's correct, this is on Membership 2 Pro side and is a core feature.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.