Add regions/provinces from all countries to MarketPress

I would like to see regions and provinces from ALL countries in MarketPress. Not just US, Canada and Australia. It's just not fair.
I'm not one of those guys that ask for something without giving so I've taken the first (and most important) step. I found all those regions and I updated the marketpress-data.php file.
You can get the new one right here: https://github.com/drupin/marketpress-data/blob/master/marketpress-data.php

The regions/provinces were extracted from UberCart (one of the most complete Drupal commerce modules) and I've adapted them to Marketpress.

So in a future update please include those... I didn't update the other files (I bet you don't want to see all MarketPress files in github :stuck_out_tongue: ) but it shouldn't be too much work.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings aristath,

Thank you for this great contribution!

Some rep points sent you way!

I have included it below in a zip file and I will also alert the lead developer to its existence and hopeful inclusion.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• aristath
    • Recruit

@aecnu @PaulM thank you! I really want to see MarketPress grow bigger and better, I'm trying to do my part as much as I can!

@MTB1701 I'm not exactly a "convert", I believe there's a right tool for every job. For some projects that's MarketPress. For other more complex and difficult ones, drupal is still my personal No1.
    I 'd like to see Wordpress+MarketPress become my number 1 choice no matter the project, that's why I 'm trying to contribute and spark some discussions. :wink:
    My schedule is a bit tight at the moment but I'm always open to suggestions... So what project did you have in mind?

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

Hello aristath
    I have one drupal website left, and then I will be finished with them. I’ve used them with Dreamweaver since CS3. The community is in such disarray. Abandon projects, module and theme conflicts. I could work pass all that, but it got to where you needed 3-5 different modules all from different developers just to run something as simple as a theme. Then one or two of the projects would get abandon, or people would blame the other developer for the problem. Acquia was a good choice for this at first, but the project is just falling apart, “in my opinion” I really do love them, but it got to where I was going to need my own engineers to keep updates on older drupal cores, or give up some features I really liked. I was debating on wither to send some people to the drupal classes they hold in Chicago IL, USA when I found WPMU. This was last June. I started playing around with WP and changing some sites. I actually have dropped DW because WP can put such crisp websites. I’m hopping with WP being a smaller project that it doesn’t go down the same road as drupal. That’s the appeal of WPMU Dev.
    The first project I have in mind: Are you familiar with Acquia Drupal; particularly their Dev Desktop? I would like to see a WP version of this. Maybe get WPMU Dev to add in their free plugins and themes to it. It would be good advertisement for them. I have other plans to really expand this with some other real word hardware. I believe it would be highly marketable without poisoning the “open source” concept. If you get some time email me MTB1701@yahoo.com Thanks aristath

• Aaron
    • CTO

Hi there, don't know how I missed this before. That's an amazing data set, however I'm not sure how they should be used? The current sets are used for special tax or shipping calculations for those areas based on their tax laws. I don't think there is a way to genericise that.

• aristath
    • Recruit

Well, for the time being they can only be used to make the address selection for clients easier... But I hope that in time the community will contribute some coutry-specific tax rules...

I for example can add the Greek taxing rules, others could do the same for their own countries!

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

Hey @aristath maybe you could start a thread asking members to contribute to this, and see if Mason could put it on sticky for a while. I was just looking over the text doc, i copied this to last night. It was actually one of your first threads i Viewed. :slight_smile:

• aristath
    • Recruit

@MTB1701 yeah, I remember... :slight_smile:

I'd prefer to start the thread AFTER this patch has made it to the final release... This way people will actually know what they're doing!!
    When it's been added to MarketPress, I'll write a walk-through to make it easier for people to add taxing info for their own countries...

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.