Add sidebar/control regions with upfront builder

Hi There,

I'm just having my first play around with the upfront builder and got a little caught up with trying to add a region, then came across this thread https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/add-a-sidebar-to-upfront-theme My issue is I want to recreate an existing theme, so want to add a sidebar that the end user can then use to add remove widgets etc. However, looking at the linked thread, I see there is no option to add sidebars with upfront builder. Is that still the case?
If its not still the case, a secondary question, how do you control the height of a region? For example; I have a menu and header area setup, I go to create a region which I want to be a right sidebar, yet when I create the region it is 'full height' i.e pushes the menu etc to the left, rather than sitting underneath. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Dave

• Sajid

Hello Dave,
    Hope you are doing good today and warm welcome to WPMU DEV :slight_smile:

First of all please note that, in Upfront you can not create sidebars like you do in normal WordPress themes. Instead, what you can do is add widgets any where on your page by just dragging the widget element and selecting the widget from list.

The idea behind this logic is that, sidebars does not have any functionality. Its just a placeholder to hold the widgets that actually serves a purpose. Since you can add the widgets anywhere on the page using Upfront, so you don't need the sidebars.

Secondly, by default regions don't have any set height. Regions auto expand based on the content in the region.

But in case, the content is small and you need to make a region bigger then you can increase the height simply clicking on the three yellow lines and dragging according to requirements (see the animated gif for more explanation - click to enlarge the see the animation).

Alternatively, you can also change the height by using padding in Advanced Settings of region editor (click on pencil icon and then settings green cog icon to open the left panel).

Hope that helps! Feel free to post a reply if you need further assistance, happy to help :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid - WPMU DEV Support

• Dave

Hi Sajid,

Thanks for coming back to me. For me, the lack of support for sidebars is a bit of a barrier. I appreciate what you are saying that they are 'just' placeholders for widgets, but the vast majority of my clients are used to using the standard sidebar/widget setup. From what you are saying it seems that if I created a theme with upfront builder, clients would then have to learn 'the upfront way' as opposed to the standard WordPress options that they would be used to, which would be quite a hard sell. If I've misunderstood something, if you could expand in more detail that would be great.

Thanks Again

Dave

• Sajid

Hello Dave,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

Yes, I can understand your concerns. But the way Upfront works, it does not require Sidebars. You can just drag the widget any where on your website.

However, what you can do here is create a default layout with Upfront Editor of Upfront Builder. Add some widgets on the page, for example on left or right side and group those together. This way, your clients can just edit the existing layout and can add/remove more widgets here.

I agree that, it is different than default WordPress way but since it is called Upfront so each and everything should be happened on frontend too. Also, it would not take much time for your clients to learn and use Upfront since it is self initiated and can be used by just drag and drop.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid - WPMU DEV Support

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.