Add taxonomies to Events+

I'd like to show in the home page two lists of events.

The broad idea is to show first a list of featured events (most of the times would no more than one), then a list of upcoming events (including or excluding the featured one, doesn't really matter).

The two lists would be also styled differently.

Right now this is not possible with the normal Upcoming Events widget, especially because Events don't have a check box to mark them as featured/sticky or a taxonomy to filter them by category/tag.

Adding taxonomies on my own is easy, but also useless until Event+ features (read: widgets) don't allow to filter contents by taxonomy term.

May I expect this feature to be added in a next release of the plugin?

• fitoussi

Hi,
    You can create category taxonomy( using function or custompress plugin) to begin with. Create a category "featured" for your featured events.
    Then you can create two loops in your home page. First loop that will display only events with "featured" category and you can style it in one way. Second loop will display all or number of events ordered by its date. This loop you can style in a different way. Shouldn't be very difficult. If you need some help let me know.

• sciamannikoo

fitoussi, as I've written in my post, I already know how to create and manage taxonomies: this is not a problem.

The problem is that even creating my own loop, I wouldn't be able (read: I don't know how) to retrieve the same information that the Upcoming widget retrieve, as I don't know if this data is stored in custom fields and in which format.

If this feature can't be simply added in Events plugin (and I don't see why it can't), at least I would need to know how to get, in my loop, data like:
    - Dates (with all the business logic needed when dates are the same, different, the event takes the whole day, is at a specific time, etc.)
    - RSVPs
    - Price
    - etc.

Again, I think that would be way easier for the developer to just add such a simple feature, as the plugin already does its job (I don't want to reinvent the wheel), except handling taxonomies.

• fitoussi

try this and see if it gives you the details you need. if so all you'll need to do is to add another loop that will display only featured category and change the classes to give different styling. also where it says " $count="3" " you can chnage 3 to the number of posts you want to display.

<?php query_posts( array( 'post_status' => 'publish' , 'post_type' => array( 'incsub_event' ) , 'meta_key' => 'incsub_event_start' , 'orderby' => 'meta_value' , 'order' => 'ASC'   ) ); ?>

<?php if ( !have_posts() ) : ?>
                        	<p>No Upcoming Events</p>
                    	<?php else: ?>

<?php while ( have_posts() ) : the_post(); ?>

<?php static $count = 0;
    						if ($count == "3") { break; }
    					else { ?>

<div class="event-holder">
    						<div class="event-title">
    							 <h3><a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>"><?php the_title(); ?></a></h3>
    						</div>
    						<div class="event-details">
    							<?php
                                    echo Eab_Template::get_event_details($post);
                                ?>

</div>
    						<div class="event-rsvp"?>
    							 <?php
                                    echo Eab_Template::get_rsvp_form($post);
                                ?>
                            </div>
                        </div> 

<?php $count++ ; } ?>
                        <?php endwhile; ?>

<?php endif; ?>
  • sciamannikoo

Timothy, I small update.

I think this post is getting related to this other post I've created.

I believe that having this feature embedded would solve two issues at the same time.

fitoussi, thank you for the code.
    I was simply curious to see which custom fields you've used.
    As I'm going to use LoopBuddy, i will take "inspiration" from you code.

Still, I'll push for having this feature as part for the plugin.

Thanks again.

• fitoussi

Thank you scam for the points.
    However, in the code I provided to you I didn't use any of the custom field. I simply used the lines of code that the plugin uses to display the event's information. In my original code I uses custom fields because I didn't want to display the whole information I wanted only the start date. if you want I can post the names of the custom fields the plugin uses.

• sciamannikoo

fitoussi, thank you for the clarification.

Actually, you did use one custom field in the query (incsub_event_start) and that's enough to me to find all other custom fields (I suppose, all "incsub_event_*" fields.

You also uses some undocumented APIs (or, if they are documented, I don't know where they are) like "Eab_Template::get_event_details($post)" and "Eab_Template::get_rsvp_form($post)": these looks interesting.

As far as you know, does "get_event_details()" render also the period of the event (dates and times), or I must look for a different function for this data?
    Right now I can't check in the plugin's code to find out the answer on my own: perhaps you already know the answer.

• fitoussi

the two APIs i grabbed from the plugin's code that is why it is undocumented. right now what i see is that get_event_detail() gives you start date, start time, end date, end time ,the location and price.

this is the list of custom fields :
    eab_capacity
    eab_event_recurrence_ends
    eab_event_recurrence_starts
    eab_event_recurring
    incsub_event_attending_count
    incsub_event_end
    incsub_event_fee
    incsub_event_maybe_count
    incsub_event_no_count
    incsub_event_paid
    incsub_event_start
    incsub_event_status
    incsub_event_venue
    incsub_event_yes_count

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.