Adding a default widget to Nelo theme

I like the Nelo theme a lot and I am working on a site that this will be perfect for. I'm trying to make it as easy as possible for people to change the look of their page and this will work great. I'm making this a default so it will be the theme for all new pages and I have a widget I want to always show on the page and don't want the user to have to worry about putting it on there or being able to take it off. Is there a way I can make a widget show (the one on the right side) by default when a person adds this page? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to Wordpress development but I build web applications for my actual job so I'm not scared of coding if needed. Thanks in advance.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello there,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

I'm trying to make it as easy as possible for people to change the look of their page and this will work great.

Are you referring to Multisite here ? Will you be going to offer them website using WordPress multisite ?

Or they will just create an account on your site and add a page on the site ? Coz if that is the case, its gonna be a management nightmare.

If you are going to use WordPress multisite, then New Blog Templates is the key. Create a template blog with wherever you want the widgets to be, set it as default and boom, you are ready to go.

You can find the plugin here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template/

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• Dustin
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Yes, I plan on doing this with multisite. I have taken a look at that plugin briefly but haven't tried it yet. I will give that a try this weekend and see how it works for me. Thank you so much for the quick reply. This is a great site and I can see why my brother-in-law recommended it to me. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again! I will mark it as resolved after I give it a try and make sure it does what I expect.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

You are most certainly welcome :slight_smile:

Its really good to see that our members spread the word and recommend us.

You know why this community is great ? coz the members love each other and help out.

I will be around to hear your test results and in case you face any issues, you know I am just a post away.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• Dustin

Sorry but I am new to wordpress and am confusing myself and probably making this harder than it needs to be. You said to create a blog, make it a template with the widgets I want, and set new blog default to use it but am having problems doing it. I created a site for the template created the page the way I want it (including the widget). Now how do I save that page to use as a template for the new blog default? I've read some things that said to add the following lines at the top to make a page template:
    <?php
    /*
    Template Name: My Custom Page
    */
    but this doesn't help me for new blog default because it only asks for default theme. Is there something I'm missing?
    Thanks again for your patience!

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks for posting back.

Did you install this plugin : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template/ ?

Did you read the instrcutions here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template#usage ?

This is how it works.

On your Multisite, you create a subsite (Lets name it template.yourmainsite.com) [Please note that you need to use WordPress Multisite, so I hope you have already installed it. If you haven't then you can start here : http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

Once done, you can configure the template site as you want. i.e. activate the Nelo theme, create template pages and put the widgets you want to be there.

Then using the New Blog Templates, you create a "Template" and then it can be used as a default template for all new sites on your Network.

So whenever someone signs up, they will get an exact replica to your Template site and then they can further customize it.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• Dustin

Thank you again! I guess it would help if I actually downloaded the correct plugin. I downloaded one called New Blog Defaults by mistake and it looked nothing like what you were talking about. I found the correct one now and it looks more like what I need. Your explanation is exactly what I am wanting so I am sure this will work for me. I need to learn to stop trying to do some of this stuff really late at night. I will try to finish up what I need tomorrow and will be sure to post back to let you know how it goes and also to mark it as resolved once it is. Thanks again for your patience!

• Dustin

I got it working now and it is mostly doing what I want it to do. I do have one more question though. I am making the page so they stay out of the admin parts as much as possible so I need to create links to allow them to change the background, change the images and text on the page, etc. I thought I would be able to do this by doing a menu with links that take them directly to the page that handles that (http://diplomakids.pleth.net/newkidtemplate/wp-admin/themes.php?page=custom-background is what it looks like in my template) but is there a way to make it dynamic so it will change to the site it is currently on? The link on a new page shouldn't show "newkidtemplate" but should show the new site instead. Does that make sense and is there a way of doing this? I really appreciate all your help on this and I am almost to the finish line finally. Thanks!

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Jay,

I thought I would be able to do this by doing a menu with links that take them directly to the page that handles that (http://diplomakids.pleth.net/newkidtemplate/wp-admin/themes.php?page=custom-background is what it looks like in my template) but is there a way to make it dynamic so it will change to the site it is currently on? The link on a new page shouldn't show "newkidtemplate" but should show the new site instead. Does that make sense and is there a way of doing this?

Unfortunately that is not possible without some custom coding as every theme has a different way to call things.

There are a few plugins you can use to simplify things like : http://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-user-frontend/

and We have a https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/easy-blogging/ plugin here you can use to simplify things.

Cheers, PC

• Dustin

That's what I was afraid of. I've started looking to see of a way to do it through actually hardcoding the links to solve this issue but that's going to take a little time. I looked at easy-blogging, which I liked but not quite what I was looking for. I'm going to take a good look at WP User Frontend...it looks a little closer to what I might need. I'll keep you posted on what I find works. Thanks!

• Dustin

I actually found a pretty easy solution to what I needed. I discovered the custom link for the menu actually works differently than the basic html <a href="wp-admin/themes.php?page=custom-background ">. I just needed a basic menu consisting of hyperlinks and this actually worked out and it stays in the correct sub-directory now instead of going to the one for the template. I couldn't believe it was that easy to solve. Guess I really tried to over-think it but I finally looked at how some of the links I didn't touch in the template looked in the code to see how it was done and saw it was done like that so I just did the same thing for the links I needed to add and, "voila!" Thanks for all the help with this and I am going to show my client the site tonight because it is close to completion (I only have a few more things to clean up to make it ready to go live). Everyone in this forum is awesome and I appreciate all the help I get from everyone without having any of the negative comments. I hope I am able to contribute quite a bit to others here to help them out as well. That kind of support is unparalleled to anything I have seen before. I am going to go ahead and mark this as resolved because you have helped me resolve several issues just with this post. Thanks again!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.