Adding a domain - only showing header of site

I have added a domain name to one of my sites and its only displaying the header of the site, nothing below that.

What would cause this? When I use the subdomain it works fine, but the minute I add the actual domain name it only displays the header section (which is the logo part and the menu)

Please advise on a fix

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Charlie,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I would like to check your site and it's settings in order to find out why this is happening and to help you fix it. Could you please point me to the site in question and also grant me a support access to your Multisite WP install?

Here's a guide on how to grant an access:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Let me know please here after an access is granted.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Charlie!

Thanks for granting an access.

I visited your site's Network Admin dashboard and tried to check that issue. There's however no "carnoustie.sportify.co.uk" sub-site in your Multisite network.

Have you removed it already or is it a different sub-site that I should check?

Please advise!
    Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Charlie!

Thanks for your response. I didn't noticed that, it seems my coffee doesn't work yet :slight_smile:

I accessed your site again and I noticed that you're not using our Domain Mapping plugin. Instead you're using a "WordPress MU Domain Mapping" from here:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-mu-domain-mapping/

It's a different plugin and it hasn't been updated in over 2 years already. it's compatible with WordPress up to 4.0.12 version and according to its author is (and won't be) no longer developed.

I suggest you switched to our Domain Mapping which is up to date, compatible with current WordPress and offers more features. Take a look here please:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/

There's also a usage guide for it here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/#product-usage

If you have any further questions on this, let me know please and I'll be happy to assist.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Charlie
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I have set it up and it is still only showing the header for that one site, the domain setup on one of my other sites - BLOG ID 5 works perfectly. But BLOG ID 15 is only displaying the header and no other content.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Charlie!

Thanks for switching to our plugin. This will let us support it better and also will be better for your site as our Domain Mapping is up to date and compatible with your WordPress.

Having that said, I accessed your site again and I'm confused about your setup. It seems that I initially didn't miss anything after all as there's indeed no "carnoustie.sportify.co.uk" site. I understand that it should be available under the "thegowfers.com" domain but currently the setup is wrong:

1. the sub-site has an original address of thegowfers.com set; it should stay as orignal sub-domain as it was created
    2. the "thegowfers.com" domain is mapped to the "thegowfers.com" domain which I must say I'm not sure how did even come through; this is not allowed and won't work as you cannot map the domain onto itself.

I think we should start over with this. The best way would be to:

- remove all domain mappins (not the Domain Mapping plugin but the mappings itself)
    - restore original sub-domains for sub-sites

As a result all the sites should be available only via the sub-domains of the main domain.

Once this is up and runnning you could then map domains again, so e.g. "bonnessunited.co.uk" domain should be mapped to the "bonnessunited.sportify.co.uk", the "thegowfers.com" would be mapped to its respective sub-site (which, I understand, would be the "carnoustie.sportify.com") etc.

It's important to understand how the Domain Mapping (both the plugin and the procedure) works: the site's should be working and available under their original addresses. Then you point the "domain to be mapped" to the server where you Multisite resides and as a result - with Domain Mapping disabled - those "domains to be mapped" should load your main site.

Then, the mapping is added and the plugin takes care of calling selected sub-site and loading it depending on a domain.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Charlie

I am trying to follow the instructions, it tells me to go to Tools in the menu - but there is no option for tools? Its there on individual sites but not on network admin section which is where I need to go to?

Any idea how to locate this in network admin as I need to add in the domains

• Charlie

I have managed to set the domain up now, but its still only showing the header - no content below this.

Ive just noticed this is only on the homepage, other pages are loading fine - just the homepage isn't displaying

• Charlie

I've narrowed it down, on this particular site - it seems to break the theme when I add the revolution slider to the homepage. I just removed it and the page loaded fine, then I re-added it and the same issue happened again - only showing the content that was above where the revolution slider is on the page

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Charlie!

Great job you did there! The Domain Mapping is all set up and mappings are properly configured and you narrowed the issue to the slider. Thanks for letting me know about it all!

This directed me in a right direction and it seems that it's indeed Slider Revolution however the issue is related to WooCommerce. The slider tries to call a function get_price_html() and this breaks. It seems that's a common problem that should be patched already. It's certainly not the bug of Domain Mapping plugin as it didn't work with your previous domain mapping plugin as well.

I can see that you're currently using Revolution Slider version 5.2.5.3 while the newest release - carrying the fix - is 5.2.6. Could you please update that plugin and see if it helps?

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Charlie!

I can see that you upgraded Slider Revolution and it's now working well. I'm glad it helped :slight_smile:

The part I wasn't getting is it worked with Blog ID 5, which I copied the same slider over to BLOG ID 15 and that one is causing a problem.So trying to work out what the issue is has become a nightmare.

I can understand that. It's better sometimes to focus specifically on what's not working instead of why it's working there and not working here :slight_smile:

As I mentioned, I found out that the Slider Revolution was trying to call the "get_price_html()" function but wasn't able to. An error was breaking all further actions that WordPress would normally take to render the site. The next step was to find what the "get_price_html()" function is (it didn't seem like coming from slider plugin itself) and it turned out that it's WooCommerce function. Why would Slider Revolution be calling it? This required a bit more research on 3rd-party forums and eventually revealed that there was a known bug in Slider Revolution that affected its performance with recent versions of WooCommerce. Then I just found out that luckily the patch is included in recent release of the plugin and suggested upgrade. I'm just saying this to help you troubleshoot similar issues in future :slight_smile:

It also explains why it all worked on your other site: there is no WooCommerce on it :slight_smile:

Have a great day and if you consider this solved please mark the thread resolved as well.

Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.