Adding a new site to your Network

Hello,
I have WP Multisite and have added a new site to my network using the dashboard. I want to tweak this site using Dreamweaver, but I can figure out where this new site is in my root folder in order to do so. Any suggestions?

• Timothy Bowers

Hey keldri20.

Dreamweaver allows you to edit code and html. Creating new sites in WordPress doesn't create extra code, it uses the existing code base. In other words the same code which powers the main site is the same code which powers subsequent sites within the network install.

You could assign unique themes to each site though, and you could edit those themes in Dreamweaver, just keep in mind that if other sites use that theme then you will also change those sites.

Everything relating to content for each site is stored within the MySQL database.

Files uploaded to each site will be be stored in /wp-content/blogs.dir/

We have some manuals here you will find useful:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/all-wpmu-dev-manuals/

Hope this helps.

• keldri20

Thanks Tim!
    To anyone following this post, I think I may have narrowed down my issue as well.
    Because im using market press and it automatically seems to generate a "Store", its not adapting to my template page.
    I am however about to read this under Network>Products>Store Settings>store theme>custom templates...it gives you a link to more info on changing the theme. I havent read it yet so hopefully im not steering anyone in the wrong direction, but ill update after ive read it.
    This is before link
    "For a custom css theme, save your css file with the "MarketPress Theme: NAME" header in the "/marketpress/css/themes/" folder and it will appear in this list so you may select it. You can also select "None" and create custom theme templates and css to make your own completely unique store design. More information on that here »"

Kate

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again.

I'm rather confused, are we referring to another post here?

The latest issue you talk about seems to be different from that of the thread here?

If you want to create new slugs for your pages you can do this in the Presentation settings.

Admin --> Products --> Store Settings --> Presentation

wp-admin/edit.php?post_type=product&page=marketpress&tab=presentation

See screenshots.

• keldri20

I wish I knew how to talk about wordpress a bit better. I dont think im trying to change the slugs as of yet, im actually trying to change the look of the mp_store page. It seems to be working so far, just adding in html around the php so that my store from a new users site will still have the same look as my main site.
    The issue that I will run into next is that I want to have several sites(stores) under the main network site, so if I am changing the look of the mp_store page overall, this will be changed for every store page I create for every site. Unless I make a new theme or can figure out how to change wordpress from linking to the original mp_store.php page and instead to a mp_store-template.php page.
    This will enable me to change the look of the store for every single store I create.

Does this make sense or am I going about it thinking like a non-cms user? Sometimes it seems easier to do it the long way i guess as I dont have much wordpress training.
    Thanks for sticking in there with me
    Kate

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again.

Does this make sense or am I going about it thinking like a non-cms user? Sometimes it seems easier to do it the long way i guess as I dont have much wordpress training.
    Thanks for sticking in there with me

No worries, we can hammer this out together!

I'll tell you what, post some screenshots and scribble on them what you want. Perhaps provide a link with instructions. I could help with the terminology as well.

Slugs are page urls, permalinks are like a collection of these to make the full URL. Just because a slug exists doesn't mean the physical page will, this depends on the plugin and the feature.

Changing core files is not the best way to achieve things unless you are sure you know what you are doing. Something to keep in mind is that when updating plugins and themes, any changes you wrote will be overwritten unless you take careful consideration when updating.

Take care.

• DavidM

Hi Kate,

Just jumping in here per your recent post!

MarketPress utilizes template files just the same as WordPress does itself. Basically, if particular files exist in your theme's folder, MarketPress will use those files to display certain things, like single product listings or cart pages.

That's all detailed in the /marketpress-includes/themes/Themeing_MarketPress.txt file within the MarketPress plugin folder, all according to the template hierarchy in WordPress.
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Hierarchy

When working with template files like that, you have available a number of functions to display various MarketPress elements, all documented via comments in the file /marketpress-includes/template-functions.php.

Those functions are the same ones used by the shortcodes that MarketPress provides, but you can use them at the template level, unlike the shortcodes.

Perhaps that'll help you get started with further customization and also answer your recent question about the shortcodes?

-David