Adding a single user to lots of sites on multisite

I’ve looked at the Add Existing User plugin, but it’s like the opposite of what I want to do: instead of adding lots of users to one site, I want to add one user to lots of sites. Is there an easy way to do this? Basically I need my other super-admins to have quick access to all sites on the Multisite network. So I want to add them to all the sites on the network, but can’t find an easy way to do this. Help please.

• Tevya
    • Recruit

Yes, I’m aware of that. However, unless they’re added to each individual site, they can’t quickly access them via the “My Sites” menu in the admin bar. Because we’re constantly jumping from site to site to update/admin our clients’ sites, I’d really like to add them to all sites, so they have them quickly accessible in the “My Sites” menu.

• Tevya
    • Recruit

None of my 4 multisites list any sites except the main one for a super-user that hasn’t been added to those individual sites. If I add them to a few specific sites, only those sites which they’ve specifically been added to, show up for them in the “My Sites” menu. I don’t know how it works for you, but that’s the way it is on all 4 of my multisite installs. The super-user can navigate to the other sites via Network Admin>Sites, then pick the site they want from the list. But the “My Sites” menu, only shows the individual site they’ve been specifically added to.

That plugin would be perfect, but it says it’s for “(non-Super Admin).” Or is it just implying that a super-admin already has access to all sites perhaps? I’ll give it a shot.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Tevya Washburn,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your concerns using this plugin I suggested.

What to possibly do is create a new role – name it super user2 or something and then use the Advanced Access Manager plugin to permission the role how you want (super users so to speak) and assign this role to those you are using the above mentioned plugin for.

That should complete the circuit for you.

Cheers, Joe

• Sue
    • Recruit

Hi Tevya Washburn

The only way they will have the sites listed under My Sites menu item is if they are added as a user to all sites. Being added as a user to all sites isn’t too bad if you only have 20 sites on your network but it make it more time consuming if you are attached to lots of sites.

Personally as a Super admin user I prefer to use Sites > All Sites in the network admin to access sites and the simplest option for me to leave the network admin open in one browser tab.

You could probably use Batch Create ( https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/batch-create ) if you want to add multiple users to multiple sites quickly.

Thanks!

Sue Waters

Edublogs Support Manager

• Tevya
    • Recruit

Thanks for understanding Sue. Yes, unlike Edublogs, we create small business websites, blogs etc. We create each one, with it’s own design, etc. So at this point we only have around 20 client sites on our multisite. Making it much more efficient to go directly to the dashboard of a site via the “My Sites” menu. I’ll loo into batch create, but I’m thinking Multisite User Replicator will do what I want. It says for “non-Super Admin” but I’m thinking that’s just because they assume Super Admin’s already have access to all sites. I’ll try it out shortly and let you know.

• Tevya
    • Recruit

Update: I just used the Multisite User Replicator 3000 plugin that Joe suggested above. It works fine for Super Admins. I’m not sure why the description says that…. oh, and dropping in mu-plugins isn’t required per it’s install instructions either. A simple “network activate” will work on WP 3.3.

• Sue
    • Recruit

Hi Tevya Washburn

Thanks for the update and great the Multisite User Replicator 3000 plugin that Joe suggested worked well! The key really is to work out what makes it the most efficient to do for your situation.

Thanks!

Sue Waters

WPMU DEV Support

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.