Adding Activity stream onto front page in Network Theme

Is there a way to add the sites activity stream to the home page of the network theme?

Thanks for any help, Sue

• SusanHope

Hi David and thanks for your answer - I went and changed that and got just the activity stream - I am sorry, should have explained myself better - I actually want to display an activity theme as well as the standard way that the network front page works, with all the nice featured post boxes - is that possible because now I have ONLY the activity stream - is it possible to have both with network?

Thanks
    Sue

• DavidM

Hello Sue,

Sorry for the delay. Getting the sitewide activity to display along with the posts is possible with a bit of editing. Before going that route, you might be interested in the following.

The BuddyPress Sitewide Activity widget can be used in your footer to give you the sitewise activity.
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/buddypress-sitewide-activity-widget/

If you don't need the other footer widgets, you can style this widget as follows to span the entire width:

#footerWidgets div.widget {
    width: auto;
    }

Though, if you'd prefer to use the footer area for widgets as well, this wouldn't be feasible. In this case, were you looking at including the sitewide activity feed before or after the main posts?

Cheers,
    David

• SusanHope

Hi David

Thanks for getting back on this one, I was looking to include activity feed anywhere above the fold if you like - so footer area not suitable - it could be a widget, in a widgetised area.

I want to make this site as "sticky" as possible as in I want the future visitors to be able to immediately see what is happening with the community on the first page they land on BUT I also want to sell advertising to relevant businesses that the site visitors will also see easily on that page.

Sue

• DavidM

Hello Sue,

To add a top widget area, you could add in the following to functions.php:

register_sidebar(
    	array(
    		'name'          => __( 'Home Top', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN ),
    		'id'            => 'home-top',
    		'description'   => 'Top',
    		'before_widget' => '<div id="%1$s">',
            'after_widget' => '</div>',
            'before_title' => '<h4 class="widgettitle">',
            'after_title' => '</h4>'
    	)
    );

The best place to add it seems to be right below the following:

function network_widgets_init() {
    	global $themename, $shortname, $options, $options2, $options3, $bp_existed, $multi_site_on;

From there you should be able to past the following in home.php:

<?php if ( !function_exists('dynamic_sidebar') || !dynamic_sidebar('home-top') ) : ?>
    <?php endif; ?>

I pasted it right below the top line as follows:
    <?php get_header() ?>

And that ought to give you a top widget area where you could perhaps utilize that Site Wide Activity Widget. Please let me know if that would work for you!

Cheers,
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.