Adding additional Profile fields to front end

Hi.

I have been setting up Membership 2 Pro, Events+, etc. and have the site doing almost everything that I need.

The final piece of the puzzle is to add some custom fields to the user profile (address, telephone number, etc.) and to be able to edit them from the front end.

I have tried using the CIMY User Extra Fields plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/cimy-user-extra-fields/) and was pleasantly surprised to see the extra fields showing up on the front-end registration form (albeit in need of some styling).

However, when a user goes to the account page the additional fields do not show up in the user profile - either when just viewing or when editing the profile.

I've been looking through the Membership 2 Pro code for suitable filters and actions to hang this extra functionality from - but confess that I'm starting to confuse myself now.

Can you recommend a way of adding additional fields and having them show up and be editable via the plugin's front-end? (Whether it is via PHP code or a different plugin.) ... or point me at the actions/filters I would need to use for viewing and editing the profile.

Many thanks.

• Michelle Shull

Hi there, caterhamcomputing!

I think your best bet here might be BuddyPress, even if you don't use a lot of the available social networking features. The only feature you need, aside from the core BP functions, is the extended profile fields, which will add extra fields to the sign-up form, to the user profile in the admin area, the buddypress front end profile, and, I believe, the Membership account page.

We did include a comprehensive set of dev docs right in the Membership plugin folder, you can access them in wp-content/plugins/membership/docs.

Hope this helps!