Adding BP Notifications to WP Admin Bar

Hello all,

I am in the thick of things currently customizing our Admin Bar (used on BOTH front end and back end of our entire multisite environment)

One thing I really want to be able to do, but have not yet figured out, is to create a plugin that will allow Buddypress Notifications to be displayed in the WP Admin Bar as they do in the BP Buddybar (which is now removed from the site)

Any suggestions or code reference? I am a novice with PHP but can make sense of it usually.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings MyMiddleEarth,

One thing I really want to be able to do, but have not yet figured out, is to create a plugin that will allow Buddypress Notifications to be displayed in the WP Admin Bar as they do in the BP Buddybar (which is now removed from the site)

This plugin will allow you to customize the admin bar to your desires WordPress Admin Bar Improved plugin

These are the files within you want to manipulate for admin bar display:

/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-admin-bar-improved/
                | wpab-admin.css
                | wpabi-admin.js
                | wpabi.css
                | wpabi.js
                | wpabi.php

The task of adding the Buddy Press Notifications is to look at how BP itself builds its Notifications dropdown, in bp_members_admin_bar_notifications_menu() (bp-members/bp-members-adminbar.php).

It uses the BP function bp_core_get_notifications_for_user() to call up a list of notifications.

This should get you on your way to adding the notifications to the admin bar as you see fit.

It may have been easier to just customize the buddy bar instead but this is not what you asked of course.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• MyMiddleEarth
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Joe!

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately, this plugin is not compatible with Multisite, which we use :slight_frown:

The author says he is working towards a solution, but in the meantime, do you have any other ideas of ways to implement this feature (notifications in WP Admin Bar)?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings MyMiddleEarth,

Thank you for letting me know what is going on over there, it is greatly appreciated as you know :slight_smile:

Look forward to hearing about the original suggested plugin being made MultiSite aware and compatible.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.