Adding custom menu link breaks Q&A plugin

Well this is weird... I installed this plugin and at first it would not work. I was getting a 404 on /questions & /questions/ask

Following advice from other posts in this forum I changed my permalinks to something else, then changed it back again... sweet! It works :slight_smile:

But then I added a custom menu link in order to add the Q&A to the main site navigation, and suddenly the plugin pages were going 404 again.

So I removed the custom menu link, changed by permalinks setting again and boom, it all works again.

I went back to add the custom menu link and as soon as I did that, this plugins pages started going 404 again.

How can this be??? How can I fix it? I'd really like to use this plugin AND have a link to it in the sites main navigation but I don't understand what is happening.

Thanks

• ShawnJason
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Well I figured out how to make it work... for now anyway.

I don't know what the problem was, but to make it work, this time I left the custom menu link in place, changed my permalinks to something else and back again, and now the custom menu link is working. Fingers crossed that it keeps working. lol

If you have any thoughts on what was happening I am interested to hear them. A lot of this is new to me so even what might seem like obvious thoughts to you, may not be so obvious to me.... so please share and help me learn :slight_smile: Thank you.

• ShawnJason
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

More info...

I just discovered that the plugin pages were going 404 again... this time I had not changed anything with that plugin, so something else is also causing the plugin pages to disappear. I changed my permalink then changed them back and once again that fixed it... for now. lol

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya!

I think this may be a bug... nice find :wink:

Attached is a ZIP file containing a file called core.php. Can you;
    1. de-activate Q&A
    2. place this new core.php inside the /qa/core/ directory, replacing the existing one please?
    3. re-activate the plugin
    4. test the issue again

Thanks!
    Phil

• ShawnJason
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Phil, thanks for that.
    I did as you suggested...

- deactivated plugin
    - uploaded core.php over the old one
    - activated the plugin
    - checked... plugin pages went 404 just from uploading core.php
    - changed permalinks to something else and back again
    - plugin pages worked again
    - edited the custom menu
    - checked... plugin pages are going 404 again

No luck

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Bummer :disappointed: Thanks for trying that out though!

I'm racking my brains but I'll need to pull the developer in on this one. I know he's uber busy with an emergency of sorts at the moment but hopefully he can take a look as soon as he gets 5 minutes.

Cheers,
    Phil

• ShawnJason
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Ok well I decided to give it another go before you pulled in a developer...

- deactivated the plugin
    - deleted the plugin
    - reinstalled
    - tested... pages were 404 right off the hop
    - uploaded that new core.php you sent me
    - tested again... still 404

Funny thing now though is that changing permalinks to something else and back again is no longer working as a way to fix it. I'm not able to correct it now. So, I'll deactivate the plugin and wait for more word from you.

Thanks

• ShawnJason
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

More info...

-- SEEMS THIS PLUGIN IS FINE --
    Maybe it's an issue with the Global Tags plugin instead.

How I came to this conclusion...

I discovered my tags and categories were going 404 as well, and then I discovered they would go 404 the same time as the Q&A plugin when editing menus or widgets. The fix was the same... change permalinks to something else and back again and they worked.

So I started doing some more digging and read someone else had a similar problem when using a tags plugin. Then the Global Tags plugin from here came to mind... it was installed on my site. I deactivated that and now the Q&A plugin survives even when I save a custom menu or edit a widget! :slight_smile: All is good here.

But now I wonder why the conflict between the 2 plugins?
    I can live without the global tags but if we can sort it out still, that would be awesome.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.