Adding Domains to WP Multisite

This has to be covered somewhere but I can not find a direct response. After I get my main domain loaded with WP Multisite and follow all of the directions on how to set it up for sub-directories, I should be ready to add domains (e.g., domain.com\site1.com and domain.com\site2.com). Since it is not setup yet, I can not go to super admin and see how it is done. So the questions are:

This has to be old, but will I need some type of domain mapping plugin?

If so, which ones are currently rated the highest?

When someone goes to site1.com or site2.com in their browser what do they see as the address and content?

Will they see any reference to domain.com?

After I get these additional sites added, how does SEO programs, google, bing, etc. rate
having my additional domains listed or tied to domain.com?

One last question. Does my WordPress installation have to go into the root directory?

• Timothy Bowers

This has to be old, but will I need some type of domain mapping plugin?

To map the domain to a blog, then yes.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping

When someone goes to site1.com or site2.com in their browser what do they see as the address and content?

They would see site1.com and site2.com if those domains have been mapped correctly.

Will they see any reference to domain.com?

Only if you wanted it. For example the BuddyPress plugin will add a top navigation bar with your link on. You can of course turn it off.

After I get these additional sites added, how does SEO programs, google, bing, etc. rate
    having my additional domains listed or tied to domain.com?

Its not really tied to your domain. Each site is independent for all intents and purposes. Any links to you are just links. Unless of course the domain is only forwarded to their site (ie they see domain.com/site1 - If you choose.) and not mapped.

I personally prefer using domain name installations rather than sub directory. You will see people with different opinions including that sub domains when not mapped still appear as a separate site in google where as a sub directory installs appear as part of the main site.

One last question. Does my WordPress installation have to go into the root directory?

Is there a reason not to? Just wondering... :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.