Adding existing users/roles to all subsites

Hello,

I have WPMU installed.

I want to manage one group of users at the top Network level and have the entire network of subsites know the users and their roles.

It seems I need to go into each subordinate site and add users one at a time and I thought that WPMU was designed to NOT need this.

I cannot find out how/where to add one group of users (or even just one user), at the top Network level and have that user automatically have the same access/roles across the entire network.

And I'd like each new site subsite installed in the network to know who all the users are--again, automatically.

What am I missing here? :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Thank you,

Christopher

• aecnu

Greetings Christopher,

Thank you for the great questions.

It seems I need to go into each subordinate site and add users one at a time and I thought that WPMU was designed to NOT need this.

Absolutely not. WPMU was designed to be able to create multiple independent web sites from one WordPress installation.

What am I missing here?

The MultiSite User Management plugin I think is what you are looking for.

Its description meets the idea that you have indicated that you want to implement:

You no longer need to manually add new users to each of your sites.

With this plugin, users are assigned a default role for each of your sites. You set the default role for each site and this plugin applies it.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• anotheropus

Joe,

I'm new to WPMU but now I think I'm ONLY going to install WPMU because it has so many more options to cover future scenarios if you need them.

WPMU is like a WordPress with gold plating in the wings when you need it.

Can you refer me to a good resource to understand how plugins use server resources in WP and WPMU? I.e. How does WPMU with one or more subsites use CPU and memory? I overloaded a WPMU site with active plugins and suddenly things started having errors. So I FTP'd in and put an underscore in front of the names of all the active plugins I could remember and the site came back to life.

A dream plugin would be something like WP Plugin Analyzer, which could put your WP through it's paces and compare plugin usage to see which existing plugins work well together and which ones cause conflicts. And of course this dream plugin would give reports and recommendations for how to adjust things and get the best power conservation out of a mix... just in case anybody at WPMUDEV has their ears to the ground :slight_smile:

Perhaps I should open a new thread and ask this question.

Thank you,

Christopher

• aecnu

Greetings Christopher,

Thank you for the great question.

I would comment that to this day nobody but nobody has been able to dog my server with a WordPress installation.

On one of my servers Mark De Scande has 80,000+ blogs/sites and here is what he has to say about it: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/what-would-be-the-best-hosting-for-a-network#post-288348

I would suggest bad hosting configuration.

The hosting is the basis of the WordPress installation and all web sites.

It amazes me how many people do not get it and they fall for these slam and cram hosting companies and their lying rhetoric. i.e. Host Gator - unlimited disk space - um not - they count the files! Blue Host - unlimited bandwidth - not they throttle the bandwidth even for reseller at 15Mbps - um I thought those Ethernet cards did 100Mbps at least - The cloud - yeah right - computers networked and hooked to the internet

In other words Christopher what I am trying to point out is sir, that on the right host which has the right configuration, excluding conflicts, you could load up every plugin WPMU has and the site would not go down.

That was really my point, but I admit I get too emotionally involved in the corporate big lies.

In any event, have a GREAT weekend!

Cheers, Joe

• anotheropus

Joe,

If I read between the lines it feels like you're holding back and you want to really tell us what you think about the mass hosting providers :wink:

I ran afoul of FatCow's "unlimited" hosting. I got a small stack of emails from them advising me that I need to reduce my footprint or they'll close my account for violating TOS because I was in their 95th percentile of disk usage. I had 36 WordPress installs, all pretty lightweight as they were new--and some didn't even have content. But the killer was I had a very common back up plugin and it was saving the past ten days for each site. The guy who write to me warned me that I could not use FatCow for file sharing! Dude--browse my directories! You OWN the server so you have access. PLEASE show me where I'm sharing files--and go fix your broken marketing text :slight_smile: ..."unlimited."

So far the only issue I've run into is on HostGator and GreenGeeks I get memory errors. So I've contacted them and they set the memory to 128. I asked them how much can I pay to have it set higher and they wanted me to pay for a VPS server. Not ready for that extra work just yet :slight_smile:

Thank you for the link above.

I'm also curious to know if every WPMUDEV plugin can be activated and in use at the same time on a WPMU network. Do you know if there are conflicts?

I've got a super keen desire to use damn near all of them on a WPMU with 150+ subsites (al in process at various stages).

Thank you,

Christopher

• aecnu

Greetings Christopher,

Thank you for the great input which is so appreciated and sharing the experience you had with FatCow - and yes sir I have to hold back so that my WPMU DEV Boss does not get too excited about me slamming other companies though I try to level the playing field with nothing less then the truth and they up the stakes using lies, propaganda, and what some would consider all out blatant fraud.

I remember many years ago watching Television at my Grand Fathers house and two car commercials both came on TV claiming their car was the best and I asked my Grand Father about it and he answer was neither - it is just blatant sales pitch lies and a lie is fraud especially when trying to get someone to take an action based upon that fraud and in some rare cases inaction.

It is sad that for the most part people believe that garbage and that this type of wisdom does not dominate culture and most prefer to see the rosy illusion that most want to inflict upon us - The Grand Illusion.

Therefore unlimited this and unlimited that - unlimited wealth and unlimited whatever - but the wiser of us know that everything has its limits. Unfortunately most prefer to live in the grand illusion of their own lies and those of the power brokers.

At my half a century of being on this planet I have learned to see right through those lies and the fog of their illusion and my life has truly become much fuller because of this and using their own illusions against them ... lol

Regarding Host Gator and their unlimited disk space, they are indeed counting your files - they call inodes - How Host Gator gets away with unlimited disk space and unlimited bandwidth claims

So far the only issue I've run into is on HostGator and GreenGeeks I get memory errors. So I've contacted them and they set the memory to 128.

This is where I really spank their butts, our standard server configuration for ALL hosting accounts is 512MB's php memory, needless to say among this and many other issues my hosting clients do not have nor experience these issues and many others issues caused by lame and/or greedy server configurations.

Their mentality is maximum profit to calm the corporate shareholders and certainly not individual client interests. Sure the company must make money or they will not be around long, but there is ridiculousness that goes beyond fairness and reason.

But I do know someone who owns all the shares of the companies involved and sincerely cares about the clients interests making sure that configurations are indeed within the business model of the customers best interest and profits are only a secondary after thought and none existent within reason relative to client interests.

Sincerely, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.