Adding extra fields A+

Hi guys

is it possible to add extra field to A+ that user must fill in once they make an appoinment.
I want an extra field asking which color they want with the service.

Steve

• phillcoxon

Hi Steve,

I can understand that you're frustrated but the support at WMUDev is actually pretty amazing. While they do their best to help users with plugins doing custom coding is not part of the support staff's job.

The great thing about WPMUdev is that anyone can request something like this as a new feature and it will be considered and possibly added in a future release.

If you need some custom code urgently then using a service like tweaky.com is a great way to get custom code done quickly by professional coders.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

I think maybe you're missing the point here, we offer support for our plugins not custom code.

Do you know how much a developer can cost per hour?

In some instances more than our yearly fee. One company who approached us trying to hire out their development services charged £800 per day with a minimum of 1 days work, that's approx. $1,264.02 USD.

As Phillcoxon mentioned if enough users request a feature then our developer will assess and consider it's development further.

If we custom coded everything everyone wanted we'd never sleep or have time to support our plugins and themes for people who need support with using them as they are designed and intended to work.

There is an example in that thread which Hakan provided, if you're unable to code any custom changes you need then you would need to hire a developer.

Take care.

• Pedro Nave

Then... why would you give custom code (like this) in the first place? What is the reason why he doesnt deserve custom code like the other guy who received it? He's a stupider client?

And to make it clear before you assuming that im a dumb person, im not talking about a 1, 2 or 5 simple lines of code to insert into functions.php file. Im not putting everything in the same bag in terms of what type of custom code is given in the support boards.

I must also say that this particular custom code is somewhat "special". It was created by YOU (as a company) because there are TONS of requests about adding fields. So, guys, if this type of custom code is given (it is a lengthy one) about a very much requested functionality that is yet to be created on the plugin, then its expected to be followed by some questions. Especially if we take into consideration that people were asking about adding fields and the example given was an... newsletter opt field - is it me or the amount of people needing that is super inferior to the ones wanting a normal text field? O_o Which means: for sure there will be questions.

So please, if you dont give custom code then... then dont give custom code like this (again, i explained the background story about this custom code in specific).

Also, if the developer hour rate is so valuable then why do you make the developer answer so many questions in the support board? Usually the first reply is pure marketing (note in this case thou). Week after week the first guy that replys doesnt even bother to install the freaking plugin (hell, he even addmit it!!!). I own a company that has support boards as well and if that guy worked for me, he surely would be fired the next day.

You're right, a developer time is precious: thats why the staff must be well trained so that the developer doesnt have to spend his time answering kindergarten questions.

For the note, i tried the custom code and it didnt worked. But hey, you dont support the custom code you just gave. Then, please, do me a favor: dont release custom code and make the developer time to good use: developing the plugin.

PS - What makes me sad is that im gonna be labeled a trolling, stupid customer. When i think that if the rant tone is put aside, i gave some valuable customer feedback. Oh well and sorry about my "engrish" skills.

• Hakan

Hi poi3,

The simple reason is there are literally thousands of combinations of custom fields. I don't just mean adding a check box, dropdown menu or a text field. But what will you do with those submitted data in the back end? Some will say that I want it to be saved as a user meta, some will say that I want to track color of my clients' cars, etc.

The extra field requests do not address to a particular functionality: There is no consensus, or common part of the requests. If it had been like that, and it required some fields to be added, we would have done so without questioning.

I hope this is clear enough for this part.

For the note, i tried the custom code and it didnt worked. But hey, you dont support the custom code you just gave. Then, please, do me a favor: dont release custom code and make the developer time to good use: developing the plugin.

I already noted that I have already tested and it is working. This is completely wrong: you dont support the custom code you just gave. I don't know why you think like that, but we DO support custom codes WE provided. There are several examples of this. But we don't provide support on codes YOU wrote.

So if you have questions about that sample, please write under related topic, give a link, and I will try to assist.

Cheers,
    Hakan

• Sean Johnson

Seriously? People expecting custom code to any degree is ridiculous! WPMUDEV provides amazing plugins dirt cheap. One of their simplest of plugins would cost you more than a years membership by most developers.

Any custom code they provide (heck, and plugin enhancement) ought to be seen by everyone in this community as a gift.

There should be two pricing structures, one for people who respect programmers and another for those who don't. :slight_smile: - just kidding.

C'mon, relax gotta be able to take a joke.

• Pedro Nave

Hakan, my opinion on this specific case is: whats the case base from this much requested feature? Was it really an opt newsletter field? I think i've read all topics posted here about this subject (and i keep reading almost everyday searching for new ones) and the main denominator (case base) is people asking for a new field to be treated just like the City one (for example). In the case base how a customer managment their appointments is in a per appointment basis - meaning, they go the the appointments list and see things one-to-one. I do know things can get complicated, thats why i never even asked more details about this. But if i were you and was about to give custom code, i would think about this. Thus i would give an example with this case base in mind coz then it would save me even more questions.

Now, my problem is not with you. Please understand im not demanding or yelling at you, im presenting my reasoning only. You do not have to support this type of lenghty custom code, thats not what we've paid for.

My problem is with the staff and what they wrote here and in other topics regarding this specific matter. The fact is that the custom code you gave will keep generating more questions, a bit more than usual since its an opt newsletter field (again, i explained my reasoning above about the case base etc) and the first thing people want about "new fields" is everything but that. The moment a customer gets (got) frustated because he's only pointed to a topic and if he comes back then its "go hire a developer and if the customer reply "hey, but i read the custom code YOU (as a company) gave and i still want help", he gets (got) a text on what to me appears to be almost a lesson from the Mr. Teacher - even regular members seeking for bonus points for their lifetime membership show up saying we must be gracefull.

As a final note, i didnt want to say what you understood about my "not supporting custom code". You do support (i read tons of topics here), its the staff that are explaining in father-son tone that "customer look you're crazy for asking about custom code we wrote, go hire somebody kay coz we dont suport custom code Y U NO understand derp derp". Because custom code was given, thats why.

So, from the following two, one: or the staff becomes more trained keeping the developer time developing rather than answering simple questions in other topics because some guy in the staff says «im yet to install the plugin bla bla» and if custom code was provided and people make questions about it they become more direct-to-the-point without the father-son text; or this type of lenghty custom code is not provided and thats it, no client gets special custom code and others dont IF these others clients makes questions about the very same custom code YOU (company) gave to the "special customer"

P.S. - I got around adding more field in other way (a logical solution, not code). Thanks for the availability.

• phillcoxon

@poi3 The thing you need to understand is that none of the staff have to provide any custom code modifications. If one of the staff does come back with a suggestion that involves code changes then it is because they are going beyond what is expected of their job role in order to help.

They don't have to do it as part of their support role - they choose to.

If you go back to Tim's original response he could have simply said that he couldn't help because they don't do custom coding.

He might have offered to pass the suggestion on to the developer to add as a new feature but that wouldn't have been it.

Instead he actually went out of his way to help you by giving you some extra information. He clearly stated that the code he provided was a starting point - not necessarily a perfect solution to fit your exact needs. But it gave you something to work with if you have some coding experience. If you don't have any coding experience then it's something that needs to be handled by someone who does.

You seem to be focused on punishing Tim for giving you a starting point on how to get the solution you wanted. If he was going to give you something at all, he should give you everything.

Would you rather that the staff simply said "No - can't help!" every time someone asked about how to implement custom changes?

You also made an assumption that Hakan's custom code was something he created especially for another WMUdev customer. We don't know that. It could be code he'd written for one of his own sites that he dug out and handed over.

So maybe look again at the response that you were given and consider whether getting a starting point is better than simply being told "No, we don't do custom code" or "Read the instruction manual" every time something slightly out of the norm is asked. I think it is.

It's great that you found another way to add the field. How did you do it in the end?

• Hakan

There is no need to debate on this subject any more.

Just show me 3 topics exactly defining what to do with those extra fields, provided that they are doing the same things, I will add them in the next release, I promise.

The problem is not about our unwilling to add them, but as I wrote above, impossibility to find a consensus: everyone wants to do something different with the *value* inside those fields.

For that reason they are "custom" for us yet.

And I want to remind something that might have been forgotten here: This is an *open source* *WordPress* plugin having more than 120 *filter hooks*. You can clearly see the source codes (nothing is hidden and comments are not omitted inside codes), you can use your own functions to hook inside the codes and override as you wish, you can write your child class to override main class, even you can add your addons to work in combination with A+.

• Timothy Bowers

My problem is with the staff and what they wrote here and in other topics regarding this specific matter. The fact is that the custom code you gave will keep generating more questions,

As a final note, i didnt want to say what you understood about my "not supporting custom code". You do support (i read tons of topics here), its the staff that are explaining in father-son tone that "customer look you're crazy for asking about custom code we wrote, go hire somebody kay coz we dont suport custom code Y U NO understand derp derp". Because custom code was given, thats why.

OK let me re-phrase as you're obviously not understanding.

We neither advertised nor claim to provide any custom code whatsoever. This is not an official part of our service.

If Hakan or any staff wishes to take the time to provide custom code that is their prerogative. And some will where time permits. I think what you miss is that many of the staff here started off in the forums helping other members because we can and enjoy it so when we can help quickly we will. It's in our nature to help but we also now have a job to do as well and that means supporting the needs of many not just a few and this all takes time.

If time permits and we can help then we will. But we have many thousands of equally important members here and the simple fact is that our support is for usage of plugins, themes, WordPress and BuddyPress. It's not to custom code for everyones whim.

If a request is popular enough then our developers will consider it's implementation based on that demand and practicality. But this isn't custom coding as such, it's customer demand.

I think that @phillcoxon summed this up perfectly. When staff provide such custom solutions they're going way above and beyond often with little to no appreciation.

So lets take an example, in December a member wanted help with a custom CSS sprite:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/css-sprite-links

Totally custom, nothing we really support and as I stated " right now is a busy time and as such because this is custom you may need to hire a developer for this." We were real busy from around October through Christmas.

This same member came back today and because I'd cleared my back feed of support threads (those that I responded to initially and need to be checked for follow ups) and my other many responsibilities here at DEV were taken care of this meant I had a little more time and I provided a working code example:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/sprite-tweak

This was to show them a way to do this, it was way above and beyond what is expected of me here at DEV. And it's not something I'm going to totally code up either as that would be more time consuming.

But hey, im just a ridiculous person, righ Sean? ahah

@sean_johnson4 never referred to you as a ridiculous person, you did that within the text I just quoted. He referred to peoples expectations of getting free custom coded solutions to everything they want as ridiculous. His comment wasn't intended to be as personal as you chose to take it.

It seems like this thread has become well and truly hijacked now and so I'll be closing this. I'm sorry @Steve L-Town but if you wish to make this an official request then can you please open a new thread so that your request doesn't get lost amongst the other posts here.

Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.