Adding new domain and network to multisite subfolder

Hi, I've set up a multisite network using the subfolder method and I'm trying to figure out how best to do the next step.

The main site is mainsite.com and I have another domain that I'd like to set up in mainsite.com/newsitenetwork with newdomain.com as the address.

Then, once that's set up, I'd like to have sites under newdomain.com

So my questions are is this possible to do? Set up a mini network under the newdomain.com in a subfolder of the original network? And if so, will the visitors to newdomain.com/? see newdomain.com or mainsite.com?

Mainsite.com is going to be the main business with a completely different name and look to it than newdomain.com.

My guess is I'll need to build both multisites separate on my hosting account, which is fine as far as that goes. But my understanding is that anything under the umbrella of mainsite.com/whatevernewsite gives a bit of juice to mainsite.com as far as google is concerned.

Thanks for any advice on this, and if you have any questions please let me know.

Tracy

• Tyler Postle

Hey Tracy,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your question!

You can do this by using Multi-domains and Domain Mapping together on one multisite :slight_smile:

Multidomains allows you to create a subsite under a new domain. So you might want to give users the option to create their subsite on:

maindomain.com/newsite
    or
    newdomain.com/newsite

Multi-domains provides a dropdown at site sign up that lets users select which domain they want theirs to be under.

Then Domain mapping is the plugin that allows you to map a domain over a subsite so you can turn:

maindomain.com/newsite into newsite.com.

Keep in mind, site registration can only happen on the main site, so if you are wanting to allow site registration on specific sites like maindomain.com and newdomain.com then yes, doing separate multisite installations would be your best option.

You can ask your host if you're able to have multiple WordPress Multisite installations on your same hosting account. Often you can :slight_smile:

Let us know if you have any further questions here!

All the best,
    Tyler

• Tracy

Thanks for such a thorough response Tyler, I appreciate it.

I'm not sure if this answers my question or not, but if it doesn't it's because I wasn't really clear enough on what I'm doing. If you don't mind, I'll add some more information to clarify myself just in case.

First, all the sites will be created by me. Each of the sites are really just going to be back offices for my clients. There will be no front end.

The sites under newsite.com will (hopefully) be set up by me, one site for each customer, with plugins allowing me to scale down what they can access and modify as well as run my customer support system. The front page will be blank, or possibly have their real wesites background, but will only host a redirect code for a mobile site.

The back office will have links to various services they can control as well as links to more services I offer and pretty much all website related stuff will be hidden from them. I'm basically just creating a back office for my customers and want to be sure that newsite.com/customerone, newsite.com/customertwo, etc. etc. see newsite.com/ rather than mainsite.com.

So will the plugins you recommended allow me to do this? And will each subsite created show the newsite.com address rather than mainsite.com?

Thanks again, I really appreciate your time. I've been playing around for the past couple weeks trying to work it through and finally decided to get a membership for the plugins and see if I could finally get it done.

• Anang

Hi @Tracy

Trying to help here :slight_smile:

Form my point of view if you want to create multisite under newdomain.com , you need to made two installations :slight_smile: You can't made subsite to have another subsite again :slight_smile:

If you create under mainsite.com all sub site will have mainsite.com URL (along with mainsite.com/newdomain)

I have alternative solutions, you decide if it's acceptable or not :slight_smile:

1. Create multistie on newdomain.com
    2. Create subsite newdomain.com/mainsite
    3. Map newdomain.com/mainsite with domain mapping to mainsite.com
    4. Add other subsites per user under newdomain.com

So you can have all user subsites under newdomain.com but also have mainsite.com in under one dashboard :slight_smile:

Let me know what do you think :slight_smile:

Best Regards

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.