Adding plugins on multi site

Hi,

I am just starting on a multi site. I want to keep a uniform look to the site so I only want one theme and all the plugins should be global as well. When I am the "network admin" the plugins don't have an add option? When I switch over to "site admin" it's there to add (I think) to individual sites? I haven't set up any sites because I wanted to set the theme and plugin first.

My site is for a business networking group, longbeachbusinessreferrals.com
I think I want to use Blogs MU Theme. I want each member to have a nice page featuring themselves and their business with their blog, the home page would be a mashup of the latest from all members blog posts. I also need a directory listing members by name or business type.

Thank you for your help.

• DavidM

Hi femmesport4,

I'm not quite sure what you mean about the "add" option. Do you mean that you don't see the ability to activate particular plugins in the Network Admin area?

Is that's the case, the reason is that in the Network Admin area, plugins can only be network activated, where their activation will be assumed on each site.

If that's not the case, could you provide a screenshot to illustrate what you're seeing?

Regarding a mashup of latest posts from across your network sites, you could take a look at the Post Indexer plugin and all the various plugins that utilize it, such as the Recent Global Posts Widget.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/recent-global-posts-widget

Also, if you're using BuddyPress, you'll already have an easily accessible members list, but if not, you can use the following plugin.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/members-directory

Or perhaps the Blogs Directory plugin, for a blog listing.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/blogs-directory

Hope that helps!

-David

• wpcdn

I want to keep a uniform look to the site so I only want one theme and all the plugins should be global as well.

Just a thought...if you're offering websites/blogs to people, they might really appreciate the ability to choose from multiple themes. That could be a big selling point that makes people choose your network. I know it would make a difference to me if I was an end user.

Also, note that most plugins can be network activated, but some require blog-by-blog activation for various reasons. And some plugins don't play well with others (<==this comment generally referring to non WPMU DEV plugins), so you might need to do a good bit of testing. For example, if you offer WPTouch you will find that it doesn't work well with caching plugins. That's not a bug, it's because the caching plugins are doing what they're supposed to do. But, in this case, you would need to set up the caching plugin a certain way to make those two work together. That's just one of many examples.

• femmesport4

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I found about 20 plugins I could use today. I am concerned about adding this many plugins, is this a bad idea?

I have a pretty serious problem now.
    I downloaded all the ones I want and then started uploading in WP. On the second one "Automessage" I got this message when I selected "activate plugin" Fatal error: Call to a member function has_cap() on a non-object in /home/ckalina/public_html/longbeachbusinessreferrals.com/wp-content/plugins/automessage/classes/class.automessage.php on line 88

I can't get back into the site. I get that same message instead of the sign in page.

Thanks for the help

• DavidM

Hi Cyndie,

Sorry you were experiencing difficulty with the Automessage plugin, though I can definitely assure you it's not a bad plugin, as I've had the plugin running on a number of test sites without errors.

We'll be happy to take a look with you on that through a separate thread, as this thread could get rather massive trying to resolve individual items here. Plus, it's a bit removed from the initial topic.

If you'd like to start up a new thread on that, we'll take a look with you on that.

Thanks,
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.