Adding shortcodes to buddypress member profiles

Hello Community,

Lets see if I can get a response that is more than a google search suggestion here.
I have a buddyPress install in which I'd like to allow members to add either a share link, iframe or shortcode to their profile in one of the extended profile fields I've created. I'm only looking to use the providers which WP supports natively via the oembed functionality (youtube/soundcloud/etc). I am able to get this to work in activity feeds, groups but NOT on a profile page.
Has anyone experienced this?
Any places to look where I might be able to find the code to allow this to work?
Is this a security issue?

Thank you!

• Michelle Shull

Hi, Ian!

I did turn to Google, but I think I found the answer here. It's a plugin, and I think you may be looking for a code-based solution, but I think you can examine/cannibalize how the plugin dev has structured their code to understand how to tie into the profile page here.

The plugin creates widgets on the profile page which can be tied to extended profile fields. It contains a variety of pre-formatted widgets, including a music player, a video player, a text box, and more. The text box supports HTML, so links and videos are covered here. I tested it on my own site with the default twenty fifteen theme and a handful of other active plugins, it seems to work okay for me.

The only part I'm not sure of would be the shortcode usage. Presumably, any shortcode that works in a widget should work here, but not all shortcodes are widget-friendly.

Would this work for you?

Thanks, Ian!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.