Adding sidebars to single group page template?

Hi there and thanks in advance for any help!

I can't understand what template is being called for the group's homepage template on my site. The theme I have installed has the option to make pages no sidebar, one sidebar or both sidebars, but no matter what options I check off to add sidebars, it isn't being applied to groups single page.

Is there a specific template that's called by a single group that I can go into to see what's going on? After doing some googling, I was pointed towards home.php in the bp-legacy/buddypress/groups/single folder but calling the sidebar from that file did nothing. /:

• Rupok

Hi Alayna

Hope you had a wonderful day.

Seems like the file responsible for Group Homepage is located here: /buddypress/bp-themes/bp-default/groups/single/home.php

But I won't suggest you to edit core files as changes will be gone with plugin update. Rather, you can create a child theme. To know more regarding how you can create a child theme and override BP Default theme, you can check this article from BuddyPress Codex: https://codex.buddypress.org/legacy/theme-development/the-bp-default-theme/building-a-buddypress-child-theme/

Please let us know if you have any confusion. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Rupok

Hi Alayna

Hope you had a wonderful day.

From what file is the_content(); called from on the group homepage?

Actually BuddyPress doesn't call the_content(); function. Depending on which page the user requested, it loads content from different files. Here is the list:

// Default to activity: 'groups/single/activity.php'
    // Otherwise show members: 'groups/single/members.php'
    // Group Admin: 'groups/single/admin.php'
    // Group Activity: 'groups/single/activity.php'
    // Group Members: 'groups/single/members.php'
    // Group Invitations: 'groups/single/send-invites.php'
    // Old group forums: 'groups/single/forum.php'

But from what you said, I don't think this approach will work too. I could tell you better about the issue if I could see it live, check your current configuration and make some tests on your site. Would you mind allowing Support Access so we can have a closer look at this?

To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Moreover, can you please send me message with FTP access credentials through our secure contact form here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/ so I can try fixing it myself? Please take a full backup of your site before you send your credentials so we can always revert back to current state if anything goes wrong.

Subject: "Attn: Rupok"
    - FTP Username
    - FTP Password
    - FTP Host
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant URLs

Select "I have a different question" for your topic. This and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Alayna,

I've tested your theme on my testing site and looks like it is working fine - I set that BuddyPress pages should have two sidebars:

and then I checked on group page if setup was correct:

so theme settings are working. But not on your site. So this could be caused by conflict - please run a quick plugin conflict test as illustrated in getting support manual (flowchart). Let me know how it goes.
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Alayna

Hi Kasia, thanks so much for your efforts. It's good to understand where the problem stems from.

This is really bizarre. I've deactivated all plugins but that didn't solve it. Reset the theme to its default settings and removed any customizations, but that hasn't fixed it either. Checked my wp-config file and everything's fine, .htaccess is the same as shown in the WP codex. I've completely removed the theme and installed it fresh too. I'm running in debug mode and have no errors showing up on the site whatsoever... So I can't understand where the conflict is coming from. At this point, I thought it could only be a database issue so I've repaired all tables but that didn't help either.

I'm really stuck on this, are there any additional steps I can take to track down this problem?

Once again, thanks so much for your help!

Edit: I think I've gotten it figured out however I just want to confirm this is correct. Are the single group templates children of the group directory page? Because I have found that once I set the individual page "buzbu.com/groups/" to 2 sidebars, it is applied to the single group homepages as well.

If this is the case, then silly me, because I hadn't realized that the "/groups" page was set to no sidebars all along, overriding the buddypress pages settings.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.