Adding social metadata to user profiles

Hello!

The "edit user profile" page of my WP site has few fields like Facebook, Twitter, Jabber, AIM, etc. I think these were added by a theme we used previously. We have deleted the theme since but these fields are still there.

I would like to use these fields and incorporate them in my theme's php files to set up Facebook follow, Twitter follow and an "email user" link in every user's bio.

While I'm aware about editing the theme files and where the code should go to produce the desired the result, what I need some help with is this:

*Is it possible for a deleted theme's meta fields to remain intact despite the deletion?
*Where is the information of these fields stored in the database, how to add more fields like this in the edit profile page and how can I retrieve and use the info stored in these themes in my theme files?
*Lastly, the email of the user is already in the database and I know how to output it in the bio. But in some cases, the user may not like the idea of having a "email user" link in his/her bio. Is it possible to integrate a checkbox on the "edit user profile" page where the user can control if the link shows up or not?

Thanks!

• Tyler Postle

Hey RB,

Hope you're doing well today!

It's unlikely the fields would remain active after removing the theme, unless they were from some custom code that you also added to your new theme. Do you have JetPack installed? Could be from one of the modules there.

Easiest way to find out where it's from is by deactivating all your plugins and see if they are still there - if not then you know it's a plugin and can begin activating them until it comes back.

Where that information is stored will really depend on where it's coming from - but if you enter a unique value into the field then search for that value in your database that should reveal which table and row it is being stored in :slight_smile:

*Lastly, the email of the user is already in the database and I know how to output it in the bio. But in some cases, the user may not like the idea of having a "email user" link in his/her bio. Is it possible to integrate a checkbox on the "edit user profile" page where the user can control if the link shows up or not?

Are you using BuddyPress for your profiles? Here is another option you could try for displaying social media profiles: https://buddypress.org/support/topic/display-users-social-follow-buttons-in-profile/

BuddyPress allows you to make certain fields public or private with it's extended profile component.

If you have another profile option that doesn't already have that feature, then you will likely need to hire a developer to have it custom developed for it :slight_smile: we do have a jobs board for posting such jobs: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

There you can find another talented member of the community to help you out.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.