Adding SSL Certificates With Domain Mapping

Hi there,

I am just wondering what the best way to add an SSL cert is with domain mapping on multisite.

I don't have much experience with SSL certs in general.

My situation: I plan on having different levels of Pro-Sites and some will involve an eCommerce aspect to them, for these sites I should install an SSL correct?

I have done a bit of searching and I'm wondering what the experts here thing, what would the best way to include an SSL on select sites in a multisite install. Almost all sub-sites will likely be domain mapped.

Look forward to your response!

Cheers

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there,

Thanks for posting on the forums.

I plan on having different levels of Pro-Sites and some will involve an eCommerce aspect to them, for these sites I should install an SSL correct?

It gives a sense of extra security if you are installing an SSL on your ecommerce site however you will need to take care of a few things.

1: If you are going to use an SSL on your Multisite, it will need to be a wildcard ssl if you are using subdomain multisite.
    2: If you are using a gateway on which the payment is processed on the merchant website instead of your website, then you need not worry about SSL as the merchant site is already SSL enabled.

Now as the sites would be domain mapped, the SSL certificate would only work if that is added to that domain. https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/domain-mapping-with-ssl#post-207038 is a good post to read.

For mapped domains, it will be hard to enable SSL as the plugin mod might be required to force SSL on the frontend.

I have however asked our lead developer @Aaron to chime in on this thread for his feedback and suggestions. He will be around soon.

Please note that he is a bit busy with some core developments so it might take him a while before he is here.

Cheers, PC

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey @PC thanks for the quick response! and also for calling in @Aaron

After reading your post, I am now wondering what others are doing in this situation.

I found this post:https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/ive-gone-through-the-forums-especially-this-post and the OP mentions using a "UCC SSL" think that might work in this situation?

Thanks again.

Cheers

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

@Aaron - Thanks for responding!

Basically I just want to have the payment/login pages SSL. If all websites are domain mapped it sounds like this will be tough to do.

With a UCC, will I be able to select which sites I want to use it for? and if I reach the 100 domain limit, can I buy another one for another 100 domains?

Thanks again for all your guys. I really appreciate it.

Cheers

• Aaron
    • CTO

With a UCC cert, you add whatever domains you want, I think they usually run $20-50 each annually. You can't add more than 100 domains, or have more than one certificate.

If you are just looking to protect logins or the admin side you can just use a wildcard or normal cert if it's not a subdomain install.

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

I basically want to protect the logins (both front end and back end) and also protect the checkout pages (I'll likely use both stripe and PayPal) on sites that need it. Not all sites will have the ability to sell product. Only certain pro sites levels.

I will be using a subdomain based multisite then have the subdomains mapped to top level domain names.

I am just wondering how wix.com or weebly.com acheive this? I know they don't use WordPress or anything but their users sign up with a subdomain which you can then get mapped to a main domain if you pay. Sort of the same idea.

This info has been a big help @Aaron! I appreciate it. Really starting to get an idea of how this actually works.

Cheers

• Aaron
    • CTO

Any other service, including WP.com, does not map the admin side. For those that do have a checkout on the front end they either host that checkout at their own domain, or use the unmapped url with a wildcard ssl.

The domain mapping plugin supports not mapping the login or admin side to support wildcard ssl. There is currently no way to force using a the non-mapped domain for checkout pages with any of our plugins though. We have recently started looking into it though.

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

@Aaron thanks for all your help! It sounds like having a store on a domain mapped site is probably a bad idea then hey? Until there is a solution anyway.

Thanks again!

PS. I thought I clicked the "happy face" smiley for the rate my support but it said "Sorry, I'll try harder next time". So, I think I might have clicked the wrong smiley. Oops!

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there TyePo,

Thanks for posting back :slight_smile:

Glad to help here.

PS. I thought I clicked the "happy face" smiley for the rate my support but it said "Sorry, I'll try harder next time". So, I think I might have clicked the wrong smiley. Oops!

No worries, I am happy that you are happy. A wrong click does not matter :wink:

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.