Adding Tabs To The Wiki

I have a project that I think wiki would be great for, and the idea is to have more tabs in the wiki in addition to the discussion, to organize the interactions. For example:

There would be the main wiki that we'd like to call a course module, then the discussion tab is fine it can be general comments, but then I would like another tab to specifically post questions and have the course author or users be able to answer them. Then I'd like a tab where users could post links to data supporting or refuting the idea in the course module, then a tab where users could review the module and then finally a tab where one could post and analysis or a rebuttal of the module.

The idea is a sort of source build course to encourage discussion and debate, but keep the different interactions separate. I see wiki already has tabs built into it, would it be possible to expand it as I have described?

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

You could expand those tabs but extra functionality would require some custom work.

but then I would like another tab to specifically post questions and have the course author or users be able to answer them.

Is using our Q&A plugin not an option there?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/qa-wordpress-questions-and-answers-plugin

Would that not be better suited? You could build that into your sites navigation.

Then I'd like a tab where users could post links to data supporting or refuting the idea in the course module, then a tab where users could review the module and then finally a tab where one could post and analysis or a rebuttal of the module.

You could do reviews in the discussion tab?

Rebuttal as sub wikis?

I mention that as these are built in already, if you need some custom to handle that then sure its possible just not by default so you would need to either program that yourself or consider hiring a developer for the job.

Not sure this supports custom post types so might need some work but this could give you ratings:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-postratings/screenshots/

This one looks interesting also:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/gd-star-rating/

Plugin allows you to set up advanced rating and review system for post types and comments in your blog using single, multi and thumbs ratings.

I hope this helps.

Take care.

• RealWealthTraining

That is helpful thanks! It gives me some things to think about, looking at this, is there a way with questions and answers to have each page contain its own set of questions and answers that are only related to that subject. Each wiki would be a course module so we would want the questions posted there to be limited to just that course.

Also do you have some sort of tutorial that explains tab customization so I could consider that as well. I am very comfortable with php so I would just need a nudge in the right direction.

• Timothy Bowers

Also do you have some sort of tutorial that explains tab customization so I could consider that as well. I am very comfortable with php so I would just need a nudge in the right direction.

We don't specifically, but it would require more than just adding the tab. You would need to code up the custom functions or integrate existing features.

That would be a custom project which is out of the scope of support.

However in the following file:

~/Downloads/wiki/wiki-include.php

Around line 1172 you will find the tabs part of the code.

That is helpful thanks! It gives me some things to think about, looking at this, is there a way with questions and answers to have each page contain its own set of questions and answers that are only related to that subject. Each wiki would be a course module so we would want the questions posted there to be limited to just that course.

Have you considered a WordPress multisite install?

Each site could be a subject with its own Wiki and Q&A area.

They could even have a discussion area with forums if needed.

I think that might be the easiest way to get closer to what you need without going crazy custom.

What do reckon?

Take care.

• RealWealthTraining

Thank you, I think I have it figured out, I have another question/thought.

I am guessing the wikis are custom post types, therefore could I display them in a loop on the home page with a thumbnail and an excerpt? I would only want the main wiki to display sort of as a teaser to the view the whole wiki.

If so what exactly is the php to pull that off, I haven't figured out how to loop through custom post types.

Thanks.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again.

I am guessing the wikis are custom post types, therefore could I display them in a loop on the home page with a thumbnail and an excerpt? I would only want the main wiki to display sort of as a teaser to the view the whole wiki.

That is correct, Wiki is a custom Post Type so sure you can loop through them and pull any of the data you wish.

Here is some information which will help you with querying custom post types:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Post_Types#Querying_by_post_type

And also some handy information here as well:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/query_posts

That should get you on the right track there.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.