Adjust Plugins Setting

Is there a way to make the below plugins retrieve feeds and comments from private blogs?

Recent Posts Widget

Recent Global Posts Feed

Recent Global Comments

Recent Posts

Recent Comments Widget

Blogs Widget

Users Widget

It will be very useful for schools and universities to have a special blog that can retrieve all what’s happening on their network in one spot although all the blogs are private!

thanks

• Sue
    • Recruit

Hi firas80

Privacy is a very hard one because the purpose of making a site private is to ensure that only people who should be able to view the content are able to.

So you definitely shouldn’t enable any type of RSS feed from private sites since you should not be able to access their content using any method other than logging in to view the content. Other platforms, such as Ning, are exactly the same, RSS is automatically disabled when it is made private.

The better approach, on a private site, is to ensure your users have an option for subscribing by email. For example, on Edublogs Campus sites we use our Subscribe by Email plugin – https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/subscribe-by-email

Whereas making plugins like Recent Global Comments Widget and Recent Posts Widget plugin index private sites is challenging because:

1. You would first need to change how the Post Indexer and Comment Indexer plugins works.

2. You would then need to make changes to every plugin that uses the Post Indexer and Comment Indexer to ensure that private sites don’t appear in for someone who doesn’t want them to be indexed with these plugins.

3. Finally you would need work out how you would manage all the different privacy scenarios that might occur on your network while ensuring only people who should be able to view the content are able to.

Thanks!

Sue Waters

Edublogs Support Manager

• firas80
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Sue,

Thanks for the reply, Yes I agree that it will be a challenge but giving super admin the ability to control the feeds of private blogs is a good option.it will help schools’ administration to monitor what’s happening on their private blogs on one main hub private blog.

Subscribe by Email plugin I guess also needs logging in to check posts.

Thank you Sue for your continuous help and support here.

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Firas,

We always love when members chime in and thank you so much for feedback.

I will go ahead and move this into Feature Requests and see if it gets any support there

If you get some traction the developers may consider adding this capability in a future release :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Kimberly

• firas80
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hey Kimberly,

Thank you for your concern, yeah it would be great to move this into Feature Requests. I hope it will get support there.

If you get some traction the developers may consider adding this capability in a future release :slight_smile:

Let me think..Hmmm..How I get this traction :disappointed:

Have a great day

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.