Admin access impossible

Hi all
As soon as I launched your plugin, my admin access was broken. How can I restart it?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Thierry do Espirito,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues. Fortunately, that's usually quite easy to fix and is not directly related to our services/plugins but rather to available resources.

I assume that you're getting just a blank screen when you try to access admin area, right? Most often, it's simply related to the memory limit so, while it's a sort of "blind shot" please start with a basic tweak:

- access your site via FTP or cPanel File Manager and find "wp-config.php" file of your WordPress
    - edit that file and add following line right above the /* That's all, stop editing! */ line:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');

Once you save the file, clear browser cache and see if you can then access your site's admin area.

Usually that helps but sometimes such an issue may also be a result of some sort of plugin conflict. In that case, you'd need to manually disable installed plugins. Therefore, if above fix doesn't help, please try this:

- access the site again via FTP or cPanel File Manager tool
    - go to the /wp-content/plugins folder
    - rename "wp-defender" folder to e.g. "wp-defender.off" and try accessing your site
    - if it still doesn't help, rename also "wpmudev-updates" folder to "wpmudev-updates.off" and check if you can access the site.

Let me know about results, please.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello @thdoespirito!

When adding themes or plugins, error 500 is displayed. Wouldn't it be problem of memory due to my host configuration?

It may be. In fact, error 500 two most common reasons in cases like this are either memory limit(s) issues or conflicts with other plugins. However, that doesn't mean that they are the only possible reasons.

Did you already try increasing memory limit and that didn't work?

Also, does the problem happen only with our plugins (all of them or just some) or with some other non-WPMU DEV plugins as well?

Also, what PHP version is powering your site?

Let me know please.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Thierry do Espirito

Hi Adam

Well my php version is 5.2.17, when recommended version is 5.6 minimum.
    It could also be a problem of web hosting. My web server is used at 86% and limited to 100%.
    As soon as I download a plugin (for example Woocommerce) or even a child them, error 500 is displayed.
    The only plugin downloaded are currently
    - Akismet Anti-Spam
    - Child Theme Configurator
    - Contact Form 7
    - Defender Pro (not activated)

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Thierry do Espirito,

PHP version you are using is supported by WordPress but it's really outdated, it was released 7 years ago.
    I would suggest asking your host to update your PHP version to at least 5.6 or if possible to 7.x as higher PHP version increases both site speed and security so it's highly suggested using newer version.

As for finding more info about the error, can you enable debug log in your wp-config.php file (located in root WP folder) by replacing define('WP_DEBUG', false); with this code:

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);

// Disable display of errors and warnings
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
    @ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

Download any plugin so that 500 error is shown again and this should create debug.log file in your wp-content folder that could tell us what is going on.
    Can you please save it as .txt file and attach it here so we can check it out.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Thierry do Espirito,

Hmm, that's strange, if the code is properly added it shouldn't be causing any issues.

Is possible to send us FTP or cPanel access so we can investigate this further?
    You can send us your details using our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question and the template below:

Subject: "Attn: Predrag Dubajic"
    - Site login url
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - cPanel credentials (host/username/password)
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant urls/info

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.