Admin Ads or other way for single site WP to be able to customize Dashboard

I had been checking out the Admin Ads plugin (and not reading everything about requirements) and discovered that it only works with the Multi-site setups.

Was hoping that there was a way to add custom logos and custom color schemes to the WP dashboards. I have several sites I work on and don't host all of them. After working several hours everything looks the same and I ultimately added a couple of pages to the wrong site. Thanksfully it was 3am and I caught it and changed it before anyone saw my mistake. If I didn't have to add photos as well I may have not even noticed my error.

Any and all help is appreciated.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey Dean, hope you are well! :slight_smile:

How would Easy Admin work for you?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/easy-blogging

For widgets:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/custom-content-dashboard-widget

Feeds:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/dashboard-feeds (multisite only)

For other admin stylings:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Creating_Admin_Themes

I also rather like this admin theme:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/coffee-admin-theme/screenshots/

Just to note though, with our plugins when a new WordPress version is released our developers work like crazy on all plugins and themes to ensure they are compatible with the latest version. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• Dean Kaus

Hey @Timothy thanks for the quick reply. I had tried the majority of your suggestions above and some other plugins I found online as well. Some were a little buggy (Not the ones here) and I looked into some of the tutorials and some looked promising however the biggest complaint I read is that for the most part you lose everything when a new update comes out.

I really liked the Admin Ads or message where I could put an obvious logo and have it remain at the top of the admin panel.

I found a few other plugins that look ok and can customize the header name and may have to use those for the time being, I'd just prefer to use the WPMU stuff as I feel the quality will be better.

Even if I could display like the WPMU DEV update notifications where I could have a persistant message that was displayed at the top of each area/page while in the admin panel that would be cool.

Not sure if the Custom Content Widget allows use of html, I think I may have already tried it and the custom message gets lost as well.

Thanks!

• Timothy Bowers

Hey Dean.

Thinking about this, if you just want something in the admin like the messages then consider making your own little plugin. Honestly it isn't so hard here is the function you would use:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API/Action_Reference/admin_notices

Using their example create a file named.... deansnotice.php and place in a folder named the same for now.

In the file enter:

<?php
    /*
    Plugin Name: Deans Admin Notice
    Description: This adds a custom admin notice for Dean.
    Version: 1
    Author: Dean
    */

function my_admin_notice(){
        echo '<div class="updated">
           <p>Aenean eros ante, porta commodo lacinia.</p>
        </div>';
    }
    add_action('admin_notices', 'my_admin_notice');

That will add the notice in the back end. Then just change the bits in the <p> tag or put you. You could even add some CSS if ya wanna get real custom. Let me know if you want some pointers there. :slight_smile:

Upload to your plugins directory and network activate.

I've not tested this but it should work just fine. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• Dean Kaus

Hey @Timothy - Short stay this time. Feel better than I had in long time. I tested out your above code and it works great! The only other thing that would be cool is if I could change the background color. Is that something you can do with the CSS? I'm not very familiar with CSS yet. Still have to read the suggested links that @pcwriter gave me.

I also want to set up a MU test site and need to figure out the best way to do that. Bluehost isn't very helpful in that sort of thing. I had asked if I could set it up in a subdirectory (IE subdomain) and they were no help.

I started looking into the WP Provisioning and another WPMU plugin or template on this site but haven't had the time to research whats the best way to set all of this up.

Thanks Again!

PS I'm impressed with your points! I'd like to reach the 1,000 mark before my members runs out and I thought that was a lot of points.

• Timothy Bowers

Ya it could be done in CSS. The CSS class there is "updated".

You think this is something you will use? I don't mind helping further if you'll use it :slight_smile:

I also want to set up a MU test site and need to figure out the best way to do that. Bluehost isn't very helpful in that sort of thing. I had asked if I could set it up in a subdirectory (IE subdomain) and they were no help.

Well.... I own a load of domains, so I set two aside just to play with on WordPress things. they are cowpat.net and cowpat.org the name amused me and love to play with.... I'm sure you see where I was going there. lol

PS I'm impressed with your points! I'd like to reach the 1,000 mark before my members runs out and I thought that was a lot of points.

Ya I have a few now. :slight_smile:

I've been stuck in emails over the last month or two in addition to working on docs so not had as much time on the forums otherwise I'd have much more by now :slight_smile:

You will get there though, just keep sharing your experiences and helping others and you will be there in no time :slight_smile:

Take care.

• Dean Kaus

Hi @Timothy thanks for the reply. Appreciate your input. I've received conflicting advice on how to setup the multisite WP. My hosting company said that I already had the WP install and just need to convert using a link they sent me from the WordPress site.

Then I heard that it's better to use the plugins provided here? So now I don't know what to install first, second or third.

Back the custom Admin Notices. Is it possible to change the background color by adding something to the coed you gave me above? Also How about the font and size as well. This way when there is an update this customized message should remain (I'm assuming again)

For Example on each site I'd like to display the Companys name and a different color.

I plan for my new clients to have set up with the multisite but still weighing the options for that. For example having their domain name go directly to their site without having to type my main site plus their domain name to get to it. for example I'd rather it be http://www.clientsite.com vs http://www.clientsite.kausphoto.com or however the naming works.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

• Timothy Bowers

Then I heard that it's better to use the plugins provided here? So now I don't know what to install first, second or third.

There are plugins to do this for you I believe, but its not over complicated. I presume your host gave you this link:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

?

Back the custom Admin Notices. Is it possible to change the background color by adding something to the coed you gave me above? Also How about the font and size as well. This way when there is an update this customized message should remain (I'm assuming again)

Ya sure but we would need to make some additions. We could create a whole css file or include it direct in the code. If its real simple then probably just include it but anything large lets say more than a few classes then perhaps create a custom file.

We would enqueue it with the WordPress function:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_enqueue_style

So what you wanting here colour, font size, etc?

For Example on each site I'd like to display the Companys name and a different color.

If you are wanting colours and text to be dynamic then it gets a little more complex. Having the same for all sites could be easily and quickly coded like the example above.

Also hardcoded would be more efficient than something requiring connection to a DB.

I plan for my new clients to have set up with the multisite but still weighing the options for that. For example having their domain name go directly to their site without having to type my main site plus their domain name to get to it. for example I'd rather it be http://www.clientsite.com vs http://www.clientsite.kausphoto.com or however the naming works.

Sure that can be done with our domain mapping plugin:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping

Thanks.

• Dean Kaus

Hi @Timothy actually been reading way too much information about setting up multisite etc. and trying to decide the best plugins to use etc...

My main goal is to eventually have a way to sell and maintain websites for clients using wordpress. This way they can do some of the updates of content that they don't want to pay outsource anymore.
    Currently I have clients on different server types and hosting companies and I want to consolidate and simplify everything.

I was looking at Pro Sites, WHMCS WP Integration and WHMCS WP Provisioning. One appears to handle billing and managing the business part etc...

So going forward I want to have a main site (my hosting company site) that will sell websites, blogs, etc... and I need the ability to easily manage and bill accordingly.

I still haven't got the multisite enabled (reading different ways to set it up and don't know which is the best for my needs) Do I need domain based, subdomain, wildcard etc... what type of network, Just about every set of instructions are incomplete and have links to other pages and some of those seem outdated. So confusing and frustrating. Especially when I'm not firing on all cylinders.

One place said to edit the wp-config.php file and I was thinking, will that get changed every time there is an update?
    Going to take a break and come back in a couple of hours and see if I can find a step by step on setting this up.

Any and all suggestions of what plugins (pro-sites, the WHMCS WP Integration/provisioning etc...) to setr up and manage the sites is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again.

I still haven't got the multisite enabled (reading different ways to set it up and don't know which is the best for my needs) Do I need domain based, subdomain, wildcard etc... what type of network, Just about every set of instructions are incomplete and have links to other pages and some of those seem outdated. So confusing and frustrating. Especially when I'm not firing on all cylinders.

I'm not sure which articles you have been reading but the principle of setting up a multisite is the same. Enable it in wp-config do the network stuff which WP instructs you to and then you are done.

As for subdomains vs subdirectories. My preferences is on subdomains and here you might find conflicting views.

I think urls look tidy and more professional, you avoid having /blog/ in the url to avoid permalink conflicts. Having peoples username in your url i.e. domain.com/username/ looks like it is the same site although it doesn't overly matter to google.

Our Multi Domains plugin will also only work with subdomain installs.

Really it is your choice though.

One place said to edit the wp-config.php file and I was thinking, will that get changed every time there is an update?

Nah you should never need to update your wp-config file or overwrite it. In fact if you do a manual update this is one of the few things you preserve and don't overwrite.

So going forward I want to have a main site (my hosting company site) that will sell websites, blogs, etc... and I need the ability to easily manage and bill accordingly.

If you are wanting a solid billing and customer support system then WHMCS is spot on there!

We do plan on integrating our Provisioning plugin to recognise and assign Pro Site Levels in the future. This will allow your WHMCS to sell different levels which offer premium themes and plugins. This addition isn't ready yet though.

The create a network link I provided should be all you need to get the multisite setup. Let me know if you need any further help.

Take care.

• Dean Kaus

Hey @Timothy Sorry I've been out of it for a few days and haven't been clear headed enough to work on this too much. I finally did get the Multisite up and running but not sure if that's where I need to be with allowing others to have control over their respective sites. I need to play with it a little more and get the feel of what can and cannot be done.

At this time I can't afford the WHMCS software to do the billing and such. I need to get profecient before I start offering those services, so that may take a couple of months.

Thanks again for all of your help.

• Timothy Bowers

At this time I can't afford the WHMCS software to do the billing and such. I need to get profecient before I start offering those services, so that may take a couple of months.

I understand that.

I use it myself and it is real powerful but its also not cheap. They encode their files as well, so it is not open source either.

But for now Pro Sites should fulfil your needs :slight_smile:

With Multisite if someone gets site, they are an admin so they have full control with a few exceptions like they cannot upload themes or plugins, they can't customise them either and they cannot use code in their posts.

You could limit their access with something like a role editor plugin:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/user-role-editor/

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.