admin approval required for new users?

Does such a plugin exist? Or are there settings in wordpress for such a thing? (I have searched and only found registered users are required to comment checkboxes... but now "admin approval before you can be a registered user.)

BTW, I found this: New User Approve 1.2.6 (but it doesn't actually do as advertised.... never emails the admin when a new user is registering asking me for approval, never puts the new user in the "needs approval" column.)

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi derusion,

Good question! The New User Approve plugin doesn't appear to be updated for WP 3.2.x though I'm not sure that'd be the issue, it may be that it's not Multisite compatible.

There's a couple workarounds I think could work here. For one, you could use the User Role Editor plugin to edit the Subscriber user role to work just the same as a logged out user.

And you could then specify a default user of Subscriber for your network, then for the approval process, simply move users up to a higher user role.

You could also potentially use the Membership plugin in much that same way, creating an Access Level for Strangers and using that as the default membership Access Level. You could then add the proper Access Level to users as part of the approval process.

I'm not sure about any other plugin methods, but perhaps one of those methods might work for you?

-David

• derusion
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

The "User Role Editor" is REALLY cool, thanks for tipping me on that one!

Using that actually resolved my issue with All in One Event Calendar... I was able to give subscribers the abilities to add to the calendar so I don't have to make them authors in order to post! (which was an issue I reported on here previously.... THIS resolves that issue without having to switch to another calendar.) That also, in turn, resolves my problem of having authors using the forums being able to delete their posts days after they published them even though I have a one hour time limit on them set for edits and deletions.

But for fixing this particular issue at hand it's a rather less-than-straightforward solution. I could make a default user role with no rights (name it whatever I want) and then make someone a subscriber with more rights as you said right after I approve them. I could also just disable registrations all together and create users as people want to join. Both work, but aren't pretty.

I'm honestly surprised Wordpress doesn't have an option requiring admin approval to be a registered user, or that there isn't an existing BP one.

• derusion
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Okay, I just tried creating a default user role called "stranger" which has no rights to do ANYTHING... and they can still see all the sidebars, activity stream content, headers and footers, and all the info those things provide. They can also do status updates, and click "like" on content using the BP-Like plugin.

This really doesn't protect the privacy of the board from strangers seeing it (which was my objective.)

I'm in a real pickle here. I would imagine the resolution to this, whatever it may end up being, is going to be revered by many. :slight_smile:

• Reysbro
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

+1.
    I also need a solution that new registered members of a specific subscription level are approved by Admin before they can login.
    Pending a built-in solution, I can only create (yet) another access level and then manually change it for users after getting pinged.
    My issue here, is giving my client access to the membership plugin - which I don't want to. I was planning on letting them use WP's "user menu" for user administration.

Why not piggyback on something like comment moderation? Approve/Decline/Trash?

• Reysbro
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

UPDATE
    I found a solution with the plugin: "Absolute Privacy"
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/absolute-privacy/
    No Multi-site support, but luckily I don't need it for this project.
    When the plugin is set to "Off" (but not disabled) is moderates user registration.
    You need to use the WordPress registration, though.
    So far it's playing nice with Membership, and I can keep my client out of the Membership plugin.
    Of course, I use "User Role Editor" to handle the permissions, and have set a new user role for it.
    Hope it helps.
    /y

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya guys,

Thanks, Reysbro, for posting your solution. The plugin WP Activate Users was somewhat helpful on BuddyPress installs, but development on it has also fallen to the wayside.

There's a tutorial from several years ago that shows you how to send the activation email to yourself (and change the signup to tell folks about it) that could still work. The code may now be slightly different since this was before WP 3.0, but it would mostly be the same and found in the ms-functions.php file.
    http://wpmututorials.com/hacks/how-to-moderate-signups/

Basically you're modifying the wpmu_signup_blog_notification function. You could probably also modify our remove email verification plugin to do the same (no core WordPress edits required).

Thanks!

• Tevya
    • Recruit

Absolute Privacy is really the ideal. New User Approve is another, but neither is Multisite compatible.

If we could get that functionality in a Multisite compatible plugin, it would be awesome! I'm jumping through all kinds of hoops to figure out a way to mimic it's functionality on Multisite. It would sure be nice if WPMUdev just built this plugin.

I setup a request ticket for this, please vote for it here: http://wpmudev.uservoice.com/forums/148158-wpmu-dev-new-development-requests/suggestions/2625502-admin-user-approval-plugin-like-absolute-privacy-o

• Reysbro
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

In a recent project I used BuddyPress and Membership to solve this:
    Plugins used:
    BuddyPress
    Activate Users (fixed version at http://www.jasonashdown.co.uk/2011/12/fixed-version-of-activate-users-buddypress/) - in case user doesn't click Activate
    BP Registration Options
    Membership Premium

Without going into too much detail, I basically created an additional "Stranger" level in Membership - which serves as the moderation cue.
    BP Activation email must be sent, because only after clicking Activate does the user actually register.
    BP Registration Options send the Admin a notification of registration, while the user is still a "stranger" in terms of access, meaning that they can only see the register and login page.
    After the Admin gets the notice, you approve the user in BP Registration Options (so they get the approval email) and then in Membership you move the user to a "member" level from the moderation cue level.

Ping me if you want more details.
    /y

• Reysbro
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

You could do it with Membership alone, now that I think about it.

Have (at least) 2 access levels: stranger & member. Stranger can only see "register" and "login" pages. Member - can access whatever you like.

Then - set 3 subscription levels:
    "Stranger" (access level Stranger)
    "Moderation" (access level Stranger)
    "Member" (access level Member).
    Set Join Ping for your Moderation subscription - so Admin knows to moderate.
    In membership options set User Registration to "Moderation".

What will happen is this:
    New user visits site - as a stranger can only attempt to login and fail or register.
    Registration goes through and he becomes a "Moderation" Subscriptions level - that still has "Stranger" access level, meaning they can't see more than the login/register even though they're registered.
    Admin gets a ping.
    Admin evaluates registration and then can move the user to the "Member" subscription - giving the access level that is for members.
    Registration moderation done.

The only thing that will need a little work is the communication (emails) to the users - you can use the "Communications" in Membership or edit the registration flow code to display the "pending approval" message. You could also create a join ping that will send the approval message to the user.

EDIT: keep "clean" registration and "login" pages with no sidebars, menus etc, if you don't want to expose strangers to that content.
    Hope this helps!
    /y

• Tevya
    • Recruit

Wow. Yeah, it's helpful. I tried to do something like this initially with Membership. It was so overwhelming though, combined with my need for per-site registrations and other stuff, that I backed off the Membership plugin and am trying to do it with Pro Sites, Multisite Privacy and a few other non-WPMUdev plugins. That's what my uservoice submission is about. One plugin that simplifies it extensively, instead of tons of tweaks to membership to bend it to my will.

I haven't given up on this yet, so I may come back to membership, but not yet.

• Reysbro
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I agree that 'one plugin' is always preferable, but I think that this is a complex issue especially because of the access levels and the need to pay for subscriptions, etc.
    Approve/Decline user registration (that works!) would be a welcome addition to membership, or otherwise.
    Good luck with your solution, and kindly post it should you find it beneficial to others.
    Thanks (and don't forget the "Thank you" Button!),
    /y

• bxdavi2
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Reysbro

Can you help me? This is exactly what I am trying to do with my site. http://www.omegatkd.com/wordpress

I have a visitor, free and premier membership. The admin wants to get an email when someone registers so that he can go in an activate the subscription.

How do I do that? Also none of my buddypress profile pages are being created when the user registers.

Wordpress 3.3.2
    Buddypress Version 1.5.5
    Membership Version 3.0 RC2

• Reysbro
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi bxdavi2,

Did you try to do what I wrote in the past?
    here:

You could do it with Membership alone.
    Have (at least) 2 access levels: "stranger" & "member". "Stranger" can only see "register" and "login" pages. Member - can access whatever you like. You set this in "Access Levels", using URL limits is also convenient.

Then - set 3 subscription levels:
    "Stranger" (access level Stranger)
    "Moderation" (access level Stranger)
    "Member" (access level Member).

Set Join Ping for your Moderation subscription - so Admin knows to moderate.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/pings-on-membership#post-102518

In membership options set User Registration to "Moderation".
    What will happen is this:
    New user visits site - as a "stranger" can only attempt to login (and fail) or register.
    Registration goes through and he becomes a "Moderation" Subscriptions level - that still has "Stranger" access level, meaning they can't see more than the login/register even though they're registered.

Admin gets a ping.

Admin evaluates registration and then can move the user to the "Member" subscription - giving the access level that is for members.

Registration moderation done.

The thing with buddypress is that the profile will only be created after the user clicks the email verification link in the email.
    You can bypass that with "BuddyPress Registration Options" and fine tune the communication too.
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bp-registration-options/

I you get stuck ping me, I'll try to respond quickly.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.