Admin Bar CSS Settings not working in bp social them options with integrated color selector

I just installed BP Social Theme with 3.0 WP Multisite and BuddyPress. Appears to be working in every way tested so far. But in the Dashboard under Appearance > Themes Options > BuddyPress Social Theme Options > Admin Bar CSS Settings > Choose your adminbar background color (or admin bar subpage hover color)--- It doesn't appear to work on the frontend with a logged in test admin or superadmin user.

In the dashboard under theme options, I can doubleclick and the color picker comes up and lets me change colors nicely, but they don't seem to change anything on the frontend. How do I trouble shoot this?

Where is the documentation for BP Social Theme at wpmudev? Is the forum here the only place to find info on this theme's operation?

• b4evr1

Tammie and or Richie,

I went and installed the BP Social theme again through the SuperAdmin dashboard. In "Install Themes" I browsed on my pc and uploaded the buddypress-social-theme-1.1.8.zip file. The dashboard says that the theme installed correctly but gave the following error message:

"Installing Theme from uploaded file: buddypress-social-theme-1.1.8.zip
    Unpacking the package…

Installing the theme…

Theme installed successfully.

Warning: fopen(/home/sophia31/public_html/wp-content/themes/wpmu-bp-social-1.1.8/style.css) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/sophia31/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4165

Warning: fread(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/sophia31/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4168

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/sophia31/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4171"

1. Can BP Social theme be installed through the dashboard?

2. Is this a typical error message?

3. I thought maybe this error message might help troubleshoot the reason that my admin bar css settings are not working. What do you think?

4. I also went to my php-error log in the public folder and I find the following error repeating several times each day:

[19-Jul-2010 14:43:45] PHP Warning: Division by zero in /home/sophia31/public_html/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-groups/bp-groups-templatetags.php on line 69

Hope this helps. Please let me know. Thanks!

• drmike

It's not recommended that you use the built in installer within wp/wpmu. As you see, it has issues. Also buddypress themes are installed different than regular wp/wpmu themes:

Please give this a read and see if it helps:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-and-buddypress-themes/installing-and-activating-new-buddypress-themes/

You'll have to delete what you've installed for the theme already.

• Richie_KS

hi b4evr1

you should not upload the download wpmudev zip directly to themes 'add new' page.
    just unzip and ftp it to proper path...recheck if the theme in correct path

wp-content/themes/bp-social
    wp-content/themes/bp-social-child

@theme option not working..
    maybe be the new add_theme_page issue we encounter in wp 3.0

open wp-content\themes\bp-social\_inc\functions\options-functions.php - line 1205+ you'll find

add_theme_page(_g ($themename . __(' Options')), _g (__('Theme Options')), 'edit_themes', 'functions.php', 'buddysocial_admin');

changed it to

add_theme_page(_g ($themename . __(' Options')), _g (__('Theme Options')), 'edit_theme_options', 'functions.php', 'buddysocial_admin');

yeap...the notification and the bp-global-adminbar should be inside /mu-plugins
    no need to upload the bp-global-adminbar if in single wp installation...
    not sure about the notification plugin tho...does this work inside plugins/...?
    any thought guys?

• b4evr1

1. I went and deleted all the folders completely in wp-content/themes/bp-social and bp-social-child and I deleted the two files in mu-plugins.

I re-downloaded BP Social and unzipped and unzipped again and only FTP'd the two folders (bp-social and bp-social-child) to wp-content/themes/ and two php files to mu-plugins.

I activated BP Social and everything seemed to be working again except for the changing of the color picker in the adminbar css settings.

I then went and edited the options-functions.php on line 1205 exactly as Richie directed. I have logged in and out, cleared the browser cache, reset and resaved the BP Social Options in the Dashboard, but still the admin bar css settings in the color picker are not working. I still can not change the background color or hover color from the default. All of the other color picker elements can be changed freely, but not the admin bar at the top. What else can I do?

2. One funny thing happened after I deleted all of the old Social theme folders and mu-plugins. After I re-installed everything, BP Social still remembered widget settings and color changes I had made on the previous installation. Are there some other files I should have deleted to wipe out all of the previous setting, widget, and menu updates?

My WordPress 3.0 and BuddyPress are brand new installs with only a few lines of security script added to some .htaccess files recommended by my host and the wp security codex.

• b4evr1

Tada! After so many hours frustration, I finally figured it, thanks to Jesus.

I reinstalled WordPress 3.0, set up Multisite Networks again, and activated BuddyPress, and then re-installed BP Social theme, carefully examing every step.

The problem with why my admin bar css would not work correctly had to do with the permissions on my mu-plugins folder. They don't tell newbies this on the theme install. Should be written in bold on one of those install-readme.txt files. They just say create a mu-plugins folder, like all folders are created equal in the sight of God.

I finally found out that the recommended setting is 777 for the mu-plugins folder. See:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-manual/using-mu-plugins/

My question now is,

"Does the mu-plugins folder have to be set this high for the plugins to work? Can I back it down to 755? Should I have any security concerns at this point?"

• b4evr1

I contacted my help desk support at SiteGround. Here is there reply:

Hello Bill,

Thank you for contacting our Help Desk!

Yes, you should not set the permissions of your files or folders to 777 because this will cause an Internal Server Error. The highest level of permissions you should set is 755. They will be sufficient for the functioning of the theme.

If you need further help, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Best Regards,

Genadi
    Technical Support Team

• b4evr1

Here is something else that breaks the color picker in the admin bar css. According to the Codex wp-config.php can be moved up one directory to tighten security. But when I move it, the color picker in BP Social theme stops working.

Securing wp-config.php
    You can move the wp-config.php file to the directory above your WordPress install. This means for a site installed in the root of your webspace, you can store wp-config.php outside the web-root folder. Note that wp-config.php can be stored ONE directory level above the WordPress (where wp-includes resides) installation. Also, make sure that only you (and the web server) can read this file (it generally means a 750 permission).

http://codex.wordpress.org/Hardening_WordPress#Securing_wp-config.php

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.