Admin bars are not showing for logged-in users (except admin)

I have an issue with the admin bar (frontend and backend): they are not showing up for logged-in users (except super admin).
Profile settings are correct and a plugin conflicted testing didn't reveal any conflicts. How do I get this fixed?

• Alex Stine
    • System Administrator

Hello mynym
    Hope you're well!

Have you tried checking your theme for conflicting code? If not, please follow these steps.
    1. Switch your theme to the Twenty seventeen default WordPress theme.
    2. Check if the issue still exists.
    3. If the issue is gone, it is something in your current theme.

If the test turns nothing up, please reply back and I'll help you troubleshoot further.

Awaiting your response.

Cheers,
    Alex :smiley:

• mynym
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Alex, I switched to Twenty seventeen - the problem prevails: No admin bars, neither frontend nor backend (unless for the super admin and admins).

Is there a capability that controls if the admin bar is shown or not? I could check that and adjust the capability.

Best
    Wolfgang

• Alex Stine
    • System Administrator

Hello mynym
    Hope you are well!

The Admin Toolbar is not associated with any WP default capabilities. However some role editor plugins contain a setting that will let you disable the Toolbar for certain roles. The other thing to check would be if you have any mu-plugins.
    1. Open your site via FTP or cPanel File Manager.
    2. Go to /wp-content/mu-plugins.
    3. If there are mu-plugins there, download them to your computer.
    4. Create a folder on your computer and place the mu-plugins inside.
    5. Compress the folder or convert to "
    .zip" and you can upload it here so I can see if there's any code capable of hiding the Admin Toolbar.
    6. If you do not see a /wp-content/mu-plugins directory, your site contains no mu-plugins.

Looking forward to your response.

Cheers,

• mynym
      • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I just noticed something else that might be related:
      I use this plugin to import users.
      Normally, the upload section displays the roles available to assign to imported users. But currently no roles are displayed at all.
      Looks like the information which roles are available is lost, probably explaining why no admin bars are being displayed...?

• Alex Stine
    • System Administrator

Hello mynym
    Hope you're well!

Something that might be worth a try is resetting your user roles back to their defaults. You can use User Role Editor to do this.
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/user-role-editor/

1. Deactivate any other user role editor plugins.
    2. Install and activate User Role Editor through the Plugins --> Add New --> Upload Plugin screen.
    3. Once activated, go to Settings --> User Role Editor.
    4. Select the Tools tab.
    5. Understand that this will reset all roles and capabilities, there is a guide on how to restore them after the operation. It is a good idea to backup your site before you confirm this operation. Snapshot Pro can help here.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/snapshot/
    6. After you backup your site or understand the risks, select Reset.
    7. It will display an additional dialog, select Yes if you would like to continue.

By now, all roles and capabilities have been reset to their defaults. Please let me know if this works for you.

Cheers,

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.