Admin not receiving new user notification

Under Settings > General Settings, where it says "This address is used for admin purposes, like new user notification." I have entered my email address.

I have deactivated all plugins and switched to the default Twenty Fifteen theme.

The new user is receiving the email with their username and password.

The password reset confirmation email is being delivered too.

But I am not receiving a notification email when a new user is added. Shouldn't I?

Many thanks

Frances

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Frances,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

This is single site environment we are talking about here, right?
    Is it happening only when you manually add users or even with standard user registration?

I see that you have support access opened on one of your sites, is that the site in question so we can test this?

Oh, and one silly question, did you made sure that emails are not ending up in your spam/junk folder? :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

• PCI Team

Hello Predrag

Thanks so much for responding. Yep, a single site and the support access is for the site in question.

I haven't received a single new user notification email whether manually added or added via our sign-up page:
    http://www.pci-learning.com/performanceconsultants/coaching-and-leadership-insights-newsletter

I'm back on our theme (a child of Discovery) and have reactivated 2 plugins: Membership 2 Pro and WPMU DEV Dashboard. And I have just discovered something else odd when I test the reset password page:
    http://www.pci-learning.com/performanceconsultants/wp-login.php?action=lostpassword

If I use one of our subscriber usernames it works fine (the confirmation email is received by the user) but when I try it with my admin username or email address the following error message appears on the page:

The e-mail could not be sent.
    Possible reason: your host may have disabled the mail() function.

So it's almost as if there is a sending problem to the Admin email. Could that be possible?

Thank you very much for helping me

Frances

• PCI Team

Hello again

Do you think anyone will be able to test the problem today? I have lots of people breathing down my neck to find out when we can get the site to go live! I can well imagine that you have lots of people wanting your urgent support.

Since Thursday I have been trying to resolve an issue which seemed to be about no emails being sent from our site, ie the fundamental password reset wasn't working. I received 3 responses within an hour of posting but have had no help since then, despite posting 6 more times:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/password-reset-email-not-being-sent?replies=10#post-907160

Today I started this new query because I don't think it's a general email sending problem but something else.

Many thanks for whatever you can do to move this problem up the queue!

Best wishes

Frances

Frances

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Frances,

Sorry for the delay on this one, it's a tough one to handle, you mentioned that you tested for plugin conflicts and it didn't give any results, so it's probably related to your host.

Did you try changing your admin email, try using your server email like example@pci-learning.com and for example gmail or some other free service to see if there are any differences.

Have you tried contacting your hosting company to see if they experienced this before and maybe have ready solution?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• PCI Team

Hi Predrag

Thanks for suggesting that I change the admin email. I swapped it from the one we have used successfully for 2 years which is on office365 server to a yahoo address. I added a new user manually via Users > Add New and the new user registration email came through!

Perhaps the office365 spam filters were causing that particular problem. Which is tricky as I could ask them to whitelist all bluehost IPs but our corporate clients wouldn't do the same, and they don't use Yahoo. And I discovered today that Bluehost don't allow relay through 3rd party smtp servers. We would have to upgrade to vps/dedicated for something like that. Wish I'd know that before I spent time trying out 3 different different SMTP plugins with 3 different SMTP server details.

However, I don't think the whole problem is Bluehost. Despite ticking "Send this password to the new user by email.", the username and password email was not received at the yahoo address (I used the same email address for the Admin and for the new user).

Then I tested adding a new user via our signup page. The new user is now in the system, with the membership they chose, but the 'new user registration' confirmation email was NOT received, nor was it logged by WP Mail Logging. The latter did log an automated Membership 2 Pro email 'Confirmation of your membership at Performance Consultants' but this was not received by the yahoo address.

So I think there is still something odd happening.

Many thanks for your help.

• PCI Team

Hello Predrag

Thanks so much for taking a look. I thought you'd given up on this tricky one so I had reactivated the 20 or so plugins that we use. As a result the Password reset email wasn't working and nor I assume were any other emails being sent, which I think is why you didn't receive anything.

I have now deactivated all but 6 of the key plugins, so the Password reset email is now coming through. Plus after adding a new user manually the 'Your username and password' email was received by the new user (gmail address) and the 'New user registration' email was received by the admin (yahoo address), and both logged as sent.

However, when signing up a new user via our registration page, neither the 'Your username and password' email nor the 'New user registration' emails were logged as having been sent. Perhaps that's something separate I need to open a new thread for under Membership 2 Pro?

Many thanks

Frances

• PCI Team

I've started a thread regarding the Membership signup not triggering the two emails mentioned above: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/your-username-and-password-and-new-user-registration-emails-not-being-sent?replies=1#post-909542

I've activated 10 plugins and Password reset is still working. Only another 10 to test!

When you suggest using mail like example@pci-learning.com, is that for the Admin address or for a new user?

Best wishes

Frances

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Frances,

I hope you're well today!

When you suggest using mail like example@pci-learning.com, is that for the Admin address or for a new user?

I believe my colleague @Predrag Dubajic was referring to setting this e-mail as an admin e-mail. As you've already found out, your host doesn't allow relying mail through 3rd-party servers but also the error previously denoted: "your host may have disabled the mail() function.".

Sometimes these errors may be a bit misleading. This might mean that the mail() function (which is used by WordPress to send e-mails) is indeed disabled but it also may mean that the host could block relying outgoing e-mail messages of addresses that do not match domains on this exact server. This is quite a common scenario and the most common reason for it is spam prevention.

That being said, I think you could give it a try. Another solution would be to try a plugin that would send mail directly via related SMTP. Here's one that may become handy:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-smtp/

A real advantage of such a solution is that the plugin actually acts almost the same way as every desktop e-mail client, so it shouldn't relay in any way on your server's spam filters or other mail-related settings.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Adam

• PCI Team

Hello Predrag and Adam

To conclude this post on a positive note ... the email sending problem on both pci-learning and pci-learning.com/performanceconsultants turned out to be related only to @performanceconsultants.com addresses. Because the domain http://www.performanceconsultants.com isn’t registered with Bluehost, emails sent to @performanceconsultants.com weren’t being delivered. So, all email sending from pci-learning.com/performanceconsultants had to be routed remotely not locally. And until that change was made, not even an SMTP plugin could help. (Or perhaps SMTP plugins only work if emails are routed remotely? If so, I wish someone had told me!)

Prior to creating the addon site (pci-learning.com/performanceconsultants.com), emails to @performanceconsultants.com had worked fine from the main pci-learning.com site, with email routing set to local. So, the fact that email routing for the addon site was also local hadn't worried me. As soon as email routing on pci-learning.com/performanceconsultants.com was set to remote, emails to @performanceconsultants.com from both sites started working immediately (pci-learning still set to local).

So obvious now but, despite me explaining each time that the problem started for both sites when the addon site was created and that the addon site domain name was registered elsewhere, it took 6 different Bluehost technicians before someone spotted it!

So, having finally resolved the emailing problem, the new site is now live at http://www.performanceconsultants.com, on the new host Bluehost. Hooray!

Thanks again for trying to help

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.