Admin tool bar not showing up for Editors

Editors need an option to edit posts and pages with Upfront. The current theme is created with an Upfront builder and the User Restrictions are set for the Editor user role.

The admin bar is not showing up for the Editor, therefore Editor can't see the Upfront button to edit posts.

So far has been done:
- deactivated all plugins
- switched themes
-placed footer.php and header.php file with wp_head(); and wp_footer(); functions
- added mu-plugin that is forcing to show toolbar for admins and editors
- replaced the WordPress files with new ones

Please advise

• Lindeni Mahlalela

Hi Julius Huitema,

I hope you are doing great today and thank you for contacting us and thank you for your patience while we are looking at this.

I have created an 'Editor' account through the admin account you shared with my colleague Nastia, I have done some troubleshooting on your website and have found that the admin toolbar actually exists but its just a dark strip across the top.

Inspecting the HTML Dom using Firefox, I have found that the menu bar is actually empty, it is just an empty '<div></div>' with just the styling to give it height and background color. This suggests that the items have been filtered out somehow, intentionally or by a bug causing them not to display.

I have then tried to load the upfront editor by appending '?editmode=true' to the url when logged in as an editor, the upfront editor loaded just fine without issues.

This means the Upfront User Restrictions are not causing this as the editor loads fine. This suggests to me that the admin toolbar is not showing because of some other reasons. I have done some research and tried some tricks of which none of them were successful.

I just want to know if you know of anything that may have been done to cause this, something like customizing the admin bar with Ultimate Branding or another plugin. Did you, at some point, attempted to customize the admin toolbar or change its permissions with a plugin like User Role Editor or similar. Any information you share will help us resolve this quickly.

If you can, try to install a default theme like Twenty Seventeen or Twenty Sixteen and see if the issue persists or not. If the admin bar becomes visible after changing the theme then it could be Upfront or the child theme you created. If that is the case we will try to fix it from our side otherwise we continue investigating.

I hope this helps, please share with us any information that could be useful in resolving this.

Have a nice day.
    Mahlamusa

• Julius Huitema

Hi Mahlamusa,

Thank you for investigating this problem! I did not try to hide it, and the bar you are seeing is (i thought) created by Nastia by replacing the wp_header and wp_footer files. The admin bar is not showing up when i activate a default theme (I tried Twenty Seventeen, Twenty Sixteen and Issuu (WPMU)). Also with all plugins (I only use WMPU plugins) disabled there still is no admin bar.

Sincerely,
    Julius

• Lindeni Mahlalela

Hello Julius,

Thanks for the feedback. I have done some further testing and finally did a plugin conflict test. When deactivating 'Membership 2 Pro' plugin the admin toolbar became visible then it was obvious that Membership 2 was interfering.

Then I checked the settings and found that Membership 2 Pro has an option to hide the admin toolbar, this is available in "Membership 2 > Settings > General" page. This option has to be turned off to make the admin bar visible, like in the screenshot below.

I am sure that this option is made available due to the nature of Membership sites, sometimes you may want to hide the admin bar to force members to access their accounts using the Membership 2 account page, unfortunately this was also applied to Editors.

Disabling the option in membership 2 settings, the admin toolbar will be visible to all logged in users. If you need only to show this to Admins and Editors then you can employ the code snippet already created by my colleagues which they uploaded to 'wp-content/mu-plugins/show-admin-bar.php', this script is currently active and should show the admin bar to only Administrators and Editors. If you prefer to show the admin bar to every logged in user then you can simply delete the user.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you need any further assistance with regards to this.

Have a nice day.
    Mahlamusa

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.