Admins Only to Dashboard?

I need to understand how the permissions on the Dev Dashboard work. I built a site using the eNewsletters plugin for a client and installed the Dev Dashboard. It says it will only show for the admin user, but I need to create an admin user for the client. Will that user have access to my WPMU membership info?

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

Hi brucelet
    On a multisite you can make yourself network admin and your client’s regular admins. This will keep them out of WPMU Dev. Dashboard. I have found that most people will eventually want a multisite install wither they need or not. So you can do a multisite install and just not allow new site registrations. This is how I have been hiding the WPMU Dev dashboard. Now i am not sure about the WPMU Dev. dashboard and admins on a single site install; so i will be following this thread as well.
    You can also view the Manuals via the link up top. https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/
    In the multisite manual you will find out what each user level "roll" allows them to do. Have a good day brucelet

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Hi there!

Great Question.

You'll definitely find the usage instructions helpful with this info.

When a user enters an api key it will begin to limit the entire plugin view to just that username. This great when using on client websites.

If you have an older version installed then simply visit Manage page and save your settings, this will then restrict it to your username.

2. If you get locked out or need to enable a different user, or want to enable multiple users, you can simply put this in your wp-config.php file:

Place these just above the following line:
    /* That’s all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */
    define(“WPMUDEV_LIMIT_TO_USER”, “1?); – for one user.
    define(“WPMUDEV_LIMIT_TO_USER”, “1, 10?); – Or enter a comma separated list for multiple users. They are all user IDs

3. If you want to totally hide everything so its not visible to anyone then simply use the following in your wp-config.php:

Place these just above the following line:
    /* That’s all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */
    define(‘WPMUDEV_HIDE_BRANDING’, true);

Note: Your API key is your own, and should not be shared with your clients, doing so would give them access to your WPMU Dev account.

Thanks!

• thevillageblog
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hello...

Could you perhaps verify something for me please?

On the WPMUDEV Dashboard, it tells you that you can add a user with the following code: "define('WPMUDEV_LIMIT_TO_USER', '1, 2');"

This is what I see after adding above line: "Only the admin users "web-admin", "JPAres1" have access to the WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin and features on this site."

Yet in your instructions above, you have: "define('WPMUDEV_LIMIT_TO_USER', '1, 2?);

Which should it be?

As it stands, even though JPAres1 is listed as being able to use the Dashboard in question, they still cannot see the WPMUDEV Menu/Dashboard when they login.

Thank you in advance.

• thevillageblog

Thank you. I already have the user ID, (it's 2) but that isn't what I was actually asking... My apologies, I should explain better...

I am questioning the difference between the ' versus the ? that shows up before the "close" bracket.

"define('WPMUDEV_LIMIT_TO_USER', '1, 2');"
    "define('WPMUDEV_LIMIT_TO_USER', '1, 2?);

Would you mind telling me which I should use in wp-config?

I inputted the first one and while it tells on the main admin user that the second user is added, the second user still has no WPMUDEV Dashboard on her admin panel.

How does she get access to that?

Thank you in advance.

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

oh i thought it was a typo! I just copied and pasted that bit from the usage page

:slight_smile:

it should be the first, i've never seen a define with a ? like that

Let's try again!

define(‘WPMUDEV_LIMIT_TO_USER’, ’1, 10?); - Or enter a comma separated list for multiple users. They are all user IDs

there we go!

and you do have an upgrade of the Dashboard available. What user role is the second user?

• thevillageblog

OK, you are still showing the question mark in your example, yet you state above that that you've never seen it with a question mark. :wink: I assume that you meant it to be the '.

Nevertheless, it still does not show the WPMUDEV Dashboard on ID #2. :slight_frown: Wow! Silly me... I didn't think of this before but... should it be a separate install and will it take on the settings that the original admin already set up? We don't want a second API though.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean about the upgrade of the Dashboard... my dashboard is from the latest WP, BP and Membership. There isn't any upgrade that I know of. Where would I see that?

The user role for the second user is the exact same as the first user, Administrator. However, it's imperative that we both have the WPMUDEV Dashboard on our individual logins.

Thanks for your help.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings thevillageblog,

Thank you for your further input regarding the ? in question ... lol

I believe Kim is doing it right but the WYSIWYG editor is doing this to her.

Lets see if this comes out right:

define(‘WPMUDEV_LIMIT_TO_USER’, ’1, 10');

Cheers, Joe

• thevillageblog

This is still an issue. The admin (ID: 1) sees this;

see image

But when JPAres1 logs in there is no WPMU DEV menu.

This is a stand alone website not a multisite.

This is the code in wp-config.php:

/** WPMU DEV added another admin user JPAres1 (ID=38) 10-16-2012 */
    define('WPMUDEV_LIMIT_TO_USER','1,38');

Any thoughts?

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Well if both their roles are the same and the dash shows you both have access then you should.

I'd need to take a closer look, can you send in:

- Mark to my attention
    - link back to this thread
    - username and password for both accounts (perhaps change the pass to something no descript first then change back later)
    - FTP Access

Thanks.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Timothy,

Hey partner please note the system indicates this members installation is behind several versions of the WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin.

The updates may indeed resolve this and keep you form beating your head against the proverbial wall.

Cheers, Joe

• thevillageblog

just looked at the code in wp-config.php and don't see the change, however I see a debug line above.

Compared to the example of code I gave in the previous posts it looks the same.
    For future ref please provide the correct code.

Thanks.

PS. I also entered code manually but used example from dashboard.

• thevillageblog

Hello Timothy,
    Having same issue on another subdomain. Went directly into the godaddy admin dashboard and edited the wp-config.php. I copied the same code from the other file that you corrected but it didn't help. I made sure to check the back tik as you mentioned above. Below is the code.

define('WPMUDEV_LIMIT_TO_USER','1,2');

I can see the second admin user when logged in as the primary admin user (ID 1) in the WPMU DEV Dashboard / Manage page.

Was the wp-config.php the only file that needed editing?

Sorry to bug you again. Thanks!

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Ya the wp-config.php is the only one you need to edit.

I can see the second admin user when logged in as the primary admin user (ID 1) in the WPMU DEV Dashboard / Manage page.

So from the Dashboard you can see both users there?

Anything difference between this install and the other one where it's working?

Take care.

• thevillageblog

main difference is that we are not using BP. This will be strictly a directory.
    So I have installed WP 3.4.1 (avoiding 3.4.2 because of past issues), WPMU Dashboard, WPMU Directory, WPMU Theme Business Services, Akismet, and that's all at the moment.

Dashboard was the second install after WP 3.4.1 and the issue was immediately there, so I doubt the other plugins have any affect.

Here is a screen shot of what I see when in the WPMU dashboard.
    see what I see

When logged in as JPAres1 I even deactivated and reactivated the plugin thinking that might reset something, but no joy.

Puzzling??

• thevillageblog

Thanks I saw what you changed but then why was it able to function on the other sub-directory even though it is at the end of the file under wp-settings.php?

/** Sets up WordPress vars and included files. */
    require_once(ABSPATH . 'wp-settings.php');

/** WPMU DEV added another admin user JPAres1 (ID=38) 10-16-2012 */
    define('WPMUDEV_LIMIT_TO_USER','1,38');

Just trying to understand the logic so that I can fix the issue myself next time.

Thanks.

• koskow

I used a security plugin which changed my user ID and I couldn't figure out why this plugin wasn't working! This thread fixed it for me! I just had to type it like this: define(‘WPMUDEV_LIMIT_TO_USER’, ’1, 10?); - And retyped the ' and the , - because it took some strange formatting in dreamweaver. Thanks a ton guys!

• koskow

Is there a way for me to get access to the dev area from all my other sites in the network. I have multi-site set up and not buddy press. So far this is working under the Network Admin site, but none of the others:

define('WPMUDEV_LIMIT_TO_USER', '1,2,3,4,5');

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.