Advanced Theme Switcher does not remember old widget settings

Hi,

I have manually activated 20+ themes on a single demo blog.

Each time I would check the front-end layout and configure and save widget placements as necessary.

Now, when I flick through the drop-down adv theme switcher widget, it is not remembering widget placements.

This only seems to happening on some themes, and took 1 hour to config all themes.

http://demo.tradr.com/

Thanks for investigating,

Johnny

• Paul

@johnnymestizo, When I view the site you provided a link for I don't see any sidebars. What am I missing.

As for the Adv theme switcher not remembering the widget. No, I agree it does not. In fact it has no knowledge of other widgets. That is the job of WordPress. So if widgets are being moved around or moved you need to check the theme code. The Adv theme switcher is just a widget to show the available theme nothing more nothing less.

The problem with the shortocde at the bottom is not all themes are the same. What I mean is we would hook into the wp_footer() filter of the theme. But in some themes appending output would in fact break the layout. As I Mentioned to you before we did add the dropdown to the admin toolbar but as you replied you have this disabled.

• johnnymestizo

Yes. Even though I log in, change the theme whilst updating all widget placements... Sometimes the front-end reverts to having no widgets. As Advanced Theme Switcher is a widget - this could be an issue.

I was thinking of placing a Adv Them Sw shortcode at the bottom of the 'page / post', not the actual footer.

As a wordpress page/post is always accessible and not reliant on widget placements then adv theme switcher would always be accessible. Especially, for people who do not use wordpress admin bar on the front end.

Thanks for the feedback, I will test this BETA you have also. Is there an actual forum topic for this beta? or just reply on the forum topic located here https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/sometimes-adv-theme-switcher-gets-stuck

Cheers,

Johnny

• Paul

I was thinking of placing a Adv Them Sw shortcode at the bottom of the 'page / post', not the actual footer.

Was thinking about this more this morning. So instead of having to add this to the actual theme code. How about a floating box added to the page. Sort of like the floating social plugins that hang off to the left/right of the page and stay in position as the user scrolls. We could simple show the dropdown inside a fixed position box on the page. This can be done with some JavaScript.

As for the BETA. I'm not siure how old that one is. I know I worked with you over the summer to get the Adv theme switcher working on one of your sites due to the 3.4.x update breaking some of the theme calls.

• johnnymestizo

Well it looks like i can set up the widgets for the current theme.

The buddypress bar is now popping up - which i can disable via wp-config.

However the BP bar does not have adv theme sw integration....

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/admin-bar-disappeared-3

If you try changing theme it will show the selected theme without the widget configuration and you wont be able to return to the original theme.

It seems the browser (firefox) remembers the theme you selected and forces you to use it. This leads on to the issue of not having the adv theme switcher widget to change the theme.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Johnny

• aecnu

Greetings Johnny,

Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe