Advanced Wordpress Menu Manager?

Does there exist some kind of advanced Wordpress menu manager that would allow one to control which menu appears per page or area of a web site? As opposed to the standard menu behavior, which is that all menus appear on all pages?

So far I have not found anything on the subject, except this...

http://dannyvankooten.com/516/dynamic-custom-menus-wordpress/

... and this:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-menu-creator/

It's strange that there is so little available to this end, as it seems that advanced menu functionality could greatly increase the range of a web site without bloating the navigation. I suppose I could try WP Menu Creator, but I'd rather not use a pre-wp3 plugin on my site.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey Rogier.

Are you looking for something like:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/advanced-menu-widget/

This plugin adds enhanced "Navigation Menu" widget and removes the default "Custom Menu" widget. It offers many options which could be set to customize the output of the custom menu through the widget. For example you can set to display "Only related sub-items" or "Only strictly related sub-items" and almost all parameters for the wp_nav_menu function.

If not then you could use the "is_page" function with a conditional statement or a Switch. You could I suppose create a custom menu for each page you like then. This would be more hands on to get setup.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/is_page

I'll tag David, he may well have heard of such a plugin. I've just never had a need for one.

Take care.

• Rogier
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hey Timothy,

Thanks for your response. I'm really just looking for something that enables me to control where a certain menu is displayed, as opposed to how that menu is displayed. I have multiple menus on my site, and currently these must all be displayed on all pages. I only want the main navigation to appear on all pages, and have the various other menus only appear alongside pages to which they are relevant.

For example, my main horizontal navigation has a tab called "videos". I also have a secondary menu for videos, listing all the different videos. Ideally I can get this videos menu to only appear in the sidebar once one has selected "videos" in the main navigation. I know that one might elect to have a dropdown from the main navigation. But I don't want to have these two or three level dropdowns appearing on all pages in my site. Rather, I want certain menu items to be only available once you are in a certain area of the site.

In something like ExpressionEngine this is super easy to do, and although I generally prefer Wordpress, it continues to surprise me how supremely vexing something elementary like this has to be.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again Rogier.

In something like ExpressionEngine this is super easy to do, and although I generally prefer Wordpress, it continues to surprise me how supremely vexing something elementary like this has to be.

Somethings do indeed seem this way in WordPress.

Something to remember though is that WP is traditionally just a blog and was a lightweight one. I suppose now with all the great plugins out there it is seen more like a CMS. But still misses somethings occasionally.

Please let us know how you get on with the plugin you found. :slight_smile:

• Multidots
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Rogier

Are you looking for something like:

http://codecanyon.net/item/advance-menu-manager/15275037

" The default WordPress Menu is great for websites having few pages and posts. But, what if your website has hundreds of pages including sub-items and posts? Managing such an elaborate menu can quickly turn out to a nightmare. Besides, it also increases the chances of human error which might impact your web presence."

The Advance Menu Manager has been built to address the needs of complex WordPress Content Management websites having a highly-detailed menu structure

Features list

- A Custom-built User Interface
    - Menu Revision Functionality
    - Add pages/posts without leaving menu manager screen
    - Comprehensive Search Functionality
    - Short-code feature to replicate the menu structure
    - See Menu Item ID
    - Add, edit, manage and delete pages from a single interface, no going back to pages and posts section to create menu items.
    - Start/stop revision functionality for a particular menu.
    - Compatible with UberMenu.

• Multidots
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Rogier

The WordPress Menu Management System is excellent, but it can be a bit cumbersome if you’re managing many menu items. The Advance Menu Manager for wordpress aims to improve the menu management user experience.

If a Menu already exists then, this plugin can help you optimize it completely. The very main reason you wish to use it over any other is because it’s extremely capable of managing large numbers of Menus.

Advanced Menu Management Features for WordPress. A Plugin with the Simplest Way to Manage Menus

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.