Advice asked concerning the use of CustomPress

Hi there,

I’m working with CustomPress for the first time.

There are some questions, which I will number, for the sake of easy answering for you, for which I’d like to thank you in advance.

I have to build a site where a custom post type is needed, called ‘Stories’. I need genres (a hierarchical taxonomy) and subjects (a non-hierarchical taxonomy), publishing dates, city, a bit extended author part AND the name of the person who edited the story + a link to their profile.

(Explanation for the need of the 2 names: the stories are written by homeless people, whose bio needs to be rather complete and nicely visible, and the editors are the people who put the stories online and manage the whole site.)

Question 1: is publishing date a standard WP thing that get’s added automagically with my custom post type?

Question 2: is a well developed plugin automagically compatible with custom post types? To be more specific: I think about using a plugin for a more sophisticated author part after a story (there is some choice: https://www.sourcewp.com/wordpress-author-bio-plugins/)

Question 3: reading the above: what did I not think of yet? Or do I make any big thinking mistakes?

Thanks for helping out in advance!!

I intend to learn from your answers and use the knowledge for future projects!

Ronald

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi Ronald

Hope you had a wonderful day.

I think your post is not complete. Can you please provide full details about your query so we can provide best solution for your issue?

I’m looking forward to hear from you and resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello ronald

I hope you are doing good.

#1: Publishing date is standard wp published date, it is automatically assigned to any custom post type, so no need to worry about that :slight_smile:

#2: Yes, just make sure you select “Author” checkbox in support column when you create a custom post type using custompress.

#3: Just a thinking, if subject is different for each post, you can make it custom field. But if, several posts are attached to same subject then taxonomy is good.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers

Ash

• Ronald
    • The Crimson Coder

Thx Ash, that most certainly helps!

Now I wil experiment and see how things work out.

Oh, one thing: I see that there is a bit of code in my content-post.php file (where is referred to from single-post.php which goes:

<?php

woo_post_meta();

?>

It generates “By ‘author’ on ‘date’ in ‘category’ “, but in my custom post type, I don’t use the standard categories. Do you have any clue where to find that piece of code?

Cheers!!

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hi there

You can use the following:

<?php
    echo do_shortcode( '[custom_fields_block]' );
    ?>

I have used shortcode in the above example, and I hope you are already familiar with shortcodes. You can find all the shortcodes in CustomPress > Content Types > Shortcodes section.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers

Ash

• Ronald
    • The Crimson Coder

Hiya!

Well, I figured things out quite nicely, I think.

There one issue (for now) that I can’t solve: I’d like site admins (so not superadmins) to be able to edit the custom post types, even if they didn’t publish the custom post.

At this moment the site admin (my customer) can not edit them.

I can’t find a setting for that.

Can you advice me on that??

Thanks in advance, best regards!

Ronald

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi Ronald

Hope you had a wonderful day.

I’d like site admins (so not superadmins) to be able to edit the custom post types, even if they didn’t publish the custom post

I just tried on my test site and found, admins (not superadmins) can edit custom post types, even though those are not created by them. So it’s your site specific issue.

Can you please do a plugin conflict test just to make sure no other plugins is causing this permission related issue? To know more about plugin conflict test, you can check this article: https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

Have a nice day. Cheers!

• Ronald
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Rupok,

Thx for helping!!

I have switched off all plugins on site AND network level, except CustomPress off course. There is no caching active. Nevertheless the problem stays: my client, as site-admin, can not edit the custom posts she did not publish…

Can we please look further into this??

Thx again!!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.